Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Had an awesome time in California.

My father just got married for the third time. So I flew from Houston to Redding California for the wedding. They've got a 9 acre ranch up there. It's gorgeous. There are wild turkeys running everywhere on the property. You can even see Mt Shasta from there.

Veiw from the top of Shasta dam. What a breath taking place. My dads a lucky man.

After that I flew to Los Angeles and had a 3 hour lay over. So I hit the sunset strip and ate a killer prime rib and a couple of potent Martinis. To say I was a little lit is an understatement lol!

Then it was onward back to Houston. But when you fly premium alcohol is cash only. Me and the couple next to me were a little bummed out. So I just had an orange juice. The flight attendant walks up to me and asks us how we like the beverage's? We both said not very much. So she walks back up front for a second. Walks back to me and cracks open two little bottles of vodka and poors them in my orange juice. I said you are a doll! And then she turns toward them and cracks open two Heinekens. She just kept bringing them and didn't charge us a dime for any of it. We had a freaking party on the flight back to Houston. That just doesn't happen very often.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; Yesterday at 04:25 PM.
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Well crap, any place is better than Houston. How do I know? I lived in CA most of my life, and now in the Houston suburb. I can't believe the locals think Houston is a nice place to visit. Actually, I enjoy seeing your photos.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; Yesterday at 07:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Well crap, any place is better than Houston. How do I know? I lived in CA most of my life, and now in the Houston suburb. I can't believe the locals think Houston is a nice place to visit. Actually, I enjoy seeing your photos.
I was born and raised in San Jose and I to now live in the suburbs of Houston. Katy to be exact. And since the cost of real estate is 3 times less than Cali's means I can have three times the house and afford more big boy toys than if I lived in Cali. I was talking to a guy in LAX who said he was transferred to Long Beach from Chicago. Said he pays $4,500 a month for a small two bedroom 1 bathroom apartment a block from the beach. He said it's so over inflated here. I had to chuckle when I said dude I am very intimately aware of that fact. I lived here most of my life. I still love it. I just refuse to live here.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; Yesterday at 08:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I was born and raised in San Jose and I to now live in the suburbs of Houston. Katy to be exact. And since the cost of real estate is 3 times less than Cali's means I can have three times the house and afford more big boy toys than if I lived in Cali. I was talking to a guy in LAX who said he was transferred to Long Beach from Chicago. Said he pays $4,500 a month for a small two bedroom 1 bathroom apartment a block from the beach. He said it's so over inflated here. I had to chuckle when I said dude I am very intimately aware of that fact. I lived here most of my life. I still love it. I just refuse to live here.
Exactly. I go back to CA over the holiday to visit and go back to Houston to live cheaply. No need to visit Disneyland or Yosemite or SD the the 10thousandth time. Oh, that 405 into the valley. Or 5 from downtown all the way down to OC. Not me. I don't need that.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I go back to CA over the holiday to visit and go back to Houston to live cheaply. No need to visit Disneyland or Yosemite or SD the the 10thousandth time. Oh, that 405 into the valley. Or 5 from downtown all the way down to OC. Not me. I don't need that.
Me neither. I do love the texas babes here. And I'm not talking about the transplants from everywhere else. But the true natives. I've never seen so many blond blue eyed knockouts as I have in this place. Especially at the Houston live stock and rodeo show. Hell I married one of them.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.
Old Today, 01:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
California has some very beautiful cities. I like Santa Barbara and Solvang.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old Today, 07:25 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
California has some very beautiful cities. I like Santa Barbara and Solvang.
If you see them for the first time, yes, but, do I want to live there? No.
A little village in southern Germany is beautiful too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAD_2212 The Allgäu, southern German region in Swabia.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	478063  

Last edited by Dave 330i; Today at 07:49 AM.
Old Today, 01:36 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
I like the country around Redding. I drive through it about twice a year. A little bit hotter in the summer than here on the coast but oh well. I'm guessing its illegal to shoot any of those wild turkeys. Some people hate them here in the bay area. They'll come through your yard acting like they own the place. Will sometimes chase people if you get too close to them. I can only imagine one of those suckers could do some damage.

I grew up in NM near Texas - had relatives in TX there and have visited numerous times. It almost calls out to me.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking imagine themselves ideally suited for the world as it ought to be. - anon

Last edited by cmac2012; Today at 02:28 PM.
Old Today, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
whats wrong with 405??

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old Today, 03:18 PM

Quote:
If you see them for the first time, yes, but, do I want to live there? No.
A little village in southern Germany is beautiful too.
Yeah! I think I saw these guys there one time.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old Today, 03:36 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
whats wrong with 405??

Wait, that's on a good day.

Old Today, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Wait, that's on a good day.
As of 3:47PM on Nov 26, 2014

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	478133  

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old Today, 05:20 PM

I saw it from the air at 5:00pm as I arrived in L.A and the traffic was the worst I'd ever seen anywhere. It made me glad I could just fly over it all. If I had to ever live there I'd buy an ultralight and fly to work. I could just land in the parking lot.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; Today at 05:22 PM.
Old Today, 05:45 PM

Now in a much less smoggy part of California! I was walking through my fathers 9 acre property in Redding. He told me that there were lots of wild turkeys there. He wasn't kidding. I walked to the back of the place and snuck up on about 30. We both talked about popping a few of them with the 12 gage. I've never seen so many wild turkey's in my life. And I also had no idea how big 9 acres was. Check it out.

1968 Ford Mustang "sold"
1990 Corvette ZR-1
2007 BMW 530i
2009 Corvette ZR1

Last edited by rhipsher; Today at 05:58 PM.
Old Today, 06:40 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Being a suburban folk, the only wild turkey I know is this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wild-turkey-bourbon1-290x290.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	478150