Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Tires - I know it's been asked before, but...

I currently have OEM Dueler RFT's and have had no complaints. 77k on the car (we bought at 65k) so I'm assuming this is the second set.

My biggest concern is the right rear tire is completely bald. The other 3 are okay...left reard 5/32, fronts have 7/32 and 8/32. I've seen a lot of discussion about the alignment and changing the toe. I'll be honest, alignment talk is one thing I have NOT mastered so please go easy on me here.

So, it's time to put new tires on. I'm in sticker shock to say the least. I knew I'd be in for high(er) prices than my previous cars with the 20" option but WOW! I didn't think it'd be THIS much higher!

I know you'll ask about RFT. I've considered going non-RFT but with no spare (3rd row option) and this being the "mom bus" I think the savings isn't enough to justify non-RFT's.

Anyone have any suggestions? Where to shop for the best price? Stick with the Bridgestones or take the risk on something else? Can anyone justify the $$ savings on non-RFT's with my reasoning?
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM

So I can compare apples to apples, I'm calling around/looking online for the same thing on there now.

So far, best price out the door is Discount at $1230.24 installed. They beat Coscto by $17 and some change. Trying to get a Firestone place to answer (or call me back) and see if they'll beat Discount. NTB is a joke.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
You can't keep 1 of the old tires as the spare?

Just throw it in the trunk

Last edited by RockChips; 12-17-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Just Tires may match online pricing.

Definitely try Sears and PepBoys.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM

nevermind

Last edited by RockChips; 12-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Check the prices at Tire Rack. Discount will usually match prices. I changed my tires from Bridgestones to Michelin RFT's and like them better. I bought them from Discount.

Chuck
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I love michelin latitudes...

Just replace the rear pair- AND retain the one tire as a spare in the garage in case you destroy one of the new ones in the future.

Get it aligned- dont rely on them to say "OK"- set specific targets for toe.

A
Old 12-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Well, Firestone won my business. I'm here now getting the deed done. No doubt I need an alignment. The right rear is bad. Inside was gone. Embarrassing to say the least.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I should request them to set it to?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Did you SEARCH here??? I feel like a broken record.

Set toe to minimum. 0.01.

Caster and camber to 'mid range'

A
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowm3 View Post
So I can compare apples to apples, I'm calling around/looking online for the same thing on there now.

So far, best price out the door is Discount at $1230.24 installed. They beat Coscto by $17 and some change. Trying to get a Firestone place to answer (or call me back) and see if they'll beat Discount. NTB is a joke.
To give you guys some perspective, my son has a 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S (V6) model. The OEM tires on that vehicle are Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 18" tires, they cost nearly $1,400 mounted and balanced from Discount Tire (includes road hazard), minus a $70 rebate. Considering that, the RFTs are no big deal

Last edited by GoHawks63; 12-18-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I love michelin latitudes...

Just replace the rear pair-

A
I would never just replace the rear two, especially if the replacements are a different brand, design, model or type of tire. The tread depth differences alone would be too disparate front to rear. Simply put, the truck will not stick the same at both ends, leading to instability in bad weather conditions. You want dynamic traction to be equal as much as possible, even with a "smart" AWD system which would overcome some but not all of the problem.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
The tread depth differences alone would be too disparate front to rear. Simply put, the truck will not stick the same at both ends, leading to instability in bad weather conditions. You want dynamic traction to be equal as much as possible, even with a "smart" AWD system which would overcome some but not all of the problem.

This is utter nonsense. Hopefully this is not too offensive, but you dont know what you are talking about.

EXCEPT for the (obvious) part about not replacing with different sizes/brands, just the tread difference is perfectly fine. (based on the tread thicknesses he posted)

This is a commonly repeated scam, perpetuated by tire salesmen and nervous and clueless owners who like to think "the more I pay the safer I am".

Bottom line: 5mm or tread mis-match is well within the tolerance of the AWD system differential's capacity.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Ard, we disagree on this, especially under braking, when ABS is the main assist in traction control. Smart diffs can address some but not all of the problems created by different tires. I guess it depends on how much "safety" you want. I'll go with the recommendations of the tire engineers.

"Clueless owners?" Wha, who, me??? Funny, in light of another recent thread: "Of all the boards I visit, this one is the most polite and helpful." Of all the boards I frequent, this is by far the most uncivil, and lots of that comes from you, Ard, unnecessarily. You seldom can just disagree without some kind of personal insult. This is unfortunate, because you provide much good information much ( not all) of the time.

Last edited by dcharnet; 12-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Ard, we disagree on this, especially under braking, when ABS is the main assist in traction control. Smart diffs can address some but not all of the problems created by different tires. I guess it depends on how much "safety" you want. I'll go with the recommendations of the tire engineers.

"tire engineerss"? Please. This 'recommendation' is driven by salesmen... I challenge you to find a real engineer that wil say combining 7-8mm on one axle with 10mm in the rear will cause an issue.

There is no technical reason why you cannot combine a new tire with 10mm if tread with a used tire with 7-8mm of tread on the front, same tire models and brands.

Your tactic of making vague assertions like "especiall under braking when ABS is the main aassist" and that "smart diffs can address some but not all problems created by tifferent tires" seem to be designed to frigten the clueless. Or you are parroting garbage read elsewhere.

We are not talking about 'different tires'... my recommendation was for the OPs specific situation... we are talking about (read my first recommendation) new tires on the read axle. Dont take generalized warnings designed to prevent idiots from mixing and matching tires- AND designed to protect themselves from lawsuits- and try to make it into some technical truth.

Finally, BMW slaps on different size tires front and real -18/19 square set up, then the staggered 20" set up. Your concern about a few mm of tread depth is laughable when the mfg has such incredible variation in contact patch front to rear....

I too saw the post you were referencing and had a bit of a laugh. So just put me on "ignore". Im a big boy....It will make your visits here more civil. I like to think that I balance helpfulness with a bit of edge, but apparently you dont like it. thats cool.