Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Replace runflats

I'm replacing my rf on 550x drive, looking for recommendations I've heard some good things about pilot super sports, what else should I check?
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I am interested in the best winter performance tire (specifically for winter driving, including snow).

I would like to get new tires the day my F10 arrives (Feb) so I can keep the OEM RF's stored away until lease turn in. I will need winters to start.

-Corey
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by septaken View Post
I'm replacing my rf on 550x drive, looking for recommendations I've heard some good things about pilot super sports, what else should I check?
Your xDrive currently has all seasons. Pilot Super Sports are summer tires. Are you planning on swapping each season?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 PM

I don't plan on doing any winter driving.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
I am interested in the best winter performance tire (specifically for winter driving, including snow).

I would like to get new tires the day my F10 arrives (Feb) so I can keep the OEM RF's stored away until lease turn in. I will need winters to start.

-Corey
Are you looking for the best tires for driving in the Winter or the best tires for the ice & snow? Given it doesn't snow often here, I picked what I think were best Winter performance tires that will also work in the snow (Michelin Pilot Alpins) vice a studdable snow tire that works great in the snow, but doesn't perform that well when it isn't snowing.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Are you looking for the best tires for driving in the Winter or the best tires for the ice & snow? Given it doesn't snow often here, I picked what I think were best Winter performance tires that will also work in the snow (Michelin Pilot Alpins).
Yes, winter performance for driving in winter that also work well in snow (when it does). So your rec is in line with what I was looking for. I'll check those out. Thanks.

-Corey

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
Michelin pilot a/s great for NYC year round driving. Worked great in snow and very well in the summer. Continental dw seems to have great reviews as a summer tire. If you're worried about bubbles and wheel damage on your 19" wheel, consider getting a tire sized 245/45/19 as opposed to the recommended 245/40/19

2012 F10 550i M-Sport | Dark Graphite II | Hex Aluminum | Black Interior | Cold Weather | ARS | HUD | Side and Top View Cameras | BMW Apps | Premium Sound | M5 Style Spoiler | Rho-Plate | Dinan Stage 2 Tune | Dinan Suspension| Dinan Shockware | BMWPedals | 70% Crystalline Tint
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I would not advice all weather tires. Summers perform much better, as long there are no winter conditions you should drive your 5 series on dedicated summer tires, like the ssp's. I think D's choice for winter rubber the way to go, my Bridgstone rft winters are making horrible sounds after just 10k miles, I can not wait to change them for a set of alpins, although I have to say these Blizzacks perform very nicely in the snow.

Last edited by Sophisto; 12-09-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Diver624

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Do not use summer tires where the temps. go below freezing regardless of snow conditions. Summer tires lose allot of traction when the temps. get cold because the rubber hardens, a dangerous condition.

If you don't want to swap out tires for winter your better off getting an A/S tire that leans towards dry performance over snow traction like the Michelin Pilot A/S plus but then you have the run flat issue since it's not available in a run flat version in our size. I had them on my Audi S5 and they were good in the dry and rain but just fair in snow.

What I'm thinking of doing like "djsilo" mentioned is getting a 45 series tire since I've had many bubble problems with the Goodyear LS2 245/40/19 tires. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-960-AS Pole Position run flat which comes in 245/45/19 and is a newer design run flat compared to the Goodyears. I'm not sure if BMW will honor my wheel and tire insurance though if i don't use the original OEM tire. Why can't this be simple.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten

Last edited by Diver624; 12-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the input, you guys are great........
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Can you make it until next Spring / Summer? If so, it looks like the Pilot Sport AS3's will be a great setup for you in Philly, where it does get cold and wet.

Otherwise recommend the current Pilot Sport All Season Plus (I have had two sets) if you cannot wait.

As was said, if you are not going to switch tires, even if you will avoid snow, the high performance all seasons make more sense where you are.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM

And all I was saying is switching tires is the way to go.
On a 60k plus car like the F10 it is.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
And all I was saying is switching tires is the way to go.
On a 60k plus car like the F10 it is.
In a transitional area like Philly, where you don't usually get a lot of snow, it may be more hassle than it's worth. High performance all seasons offer usually about 85% to 90% of the performance of high performance summer, but can do duty in the cold and snow if pressed. Not nearly as good as snows, but if snows aren't necessary (i.e. roads quickly plowed or snow quickly melts) can be fine.

My Pilot Super Sports are certainly overkill here with the type of driving and roads in Houston, but what the hell.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
In a transitional area like Philly, where you don't usually get a lot of snow, it may be more hassle than it's worth. High performance all seasons offer usually about 85% to 90% of the performance of high performance summer, but can do duty in the cold and snow if pressed. Not nearly as good as snows, but if snows aren't necessary (i.e. roads quickly plowed or snow quickly melts) can be fine.

My Pilot Super Sports are certainly overkill here with the type of driving and roads in Houston, but what the hell.
Do not fall in the overkill trap.
For your kind of transportation you do not need a 5 series either.
In 80% of your driving any VW Golf would be adequate.
But than, what the hell, exactly.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks Needsdecaf i'm going to wait till spring and get the Pilots I don't know about the 45's though. Great info