Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
Stereo Setups - What have you guys been running?

Hello BimmerFest,

I bought my 7 to replace my Fully Built 350Z Twin Turbo I had to sell after having a baby. My 7 was previously not very well taken care off. I've put alot of effort into making this car right. She was neglected as far as maintenance was concerned. After I got the motor right, I started ripping off door panels only to find the factory system had already been removed. They left me with a set of MB Quart separates in the front doors...that's it. Jerry rigged in there I might add, and the passenger side mid-bass woofer was blown. WOOHOO! So I'm starting from scratch pretty much.

I have a couple of vintage amps I will use in the system I'm building. One 6 channel A/D/S P650 amp and a Phoenix Gold ZX350 amp. Both old school amps made in the good ol US of A.

In the past I've used Infiniti, Boston Acoustic, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, and the like in most of my stereo systems. Been pretty happy with the results. This go around I'm thinking of building custom speakers. Not sure if it will be worth the trouble or not. Going with 4" woofers in the doors and tweeters to go with them. Then maybe a pair of coaxil full range speakers in the back dash. (2) 10s in the trunk in a sealed or band pass box. More than likely I'll go with some Image Dynamic IDQ's or some JL W3s.

What have you guys been using? Is it worth building my own speakers from speaker component companies to get a little more bang from my buck as opposed to buying high end name brand components? Have you guys been using baffles in the doors to get more sound out of the mid range speakers?

Last edited by BuiltnBoostedZ; 11-29-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
BSW (Bavarian Sound Werks) makes an upgrade speaker package for our cars that is plug and play. Not sure if they are still a sponsor on the site or not. I don't know what kind of sound you are looking to get but I think the stock LOGIC 7 sound system is one of the best features about the E65/E66.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...eries-E65-E66/

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
I have a ads powerplate amp 4 Chanel still new in the box I bought years ago and never installed it. I hear they are one of the best amps around, or were...... I will install it someday but not in the 7. I also have 2-12 kicker comp subs, episenter, kicker comp 5-1/4 mids with there titanium dome tweeters that run thru a crossover that has lights that burn the overamperage. Cool stuff. I was running all this on two fagitu ten amps pushing about 450 watts pure.

It was very clear and it would thump. Everything was wired into a Sony mini disk player/recorder. I love old school stuff as I have cornerhorns and a nice macintosh amp and tuner at home.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expo BMW View Post
BSW (Bavarian Sound Werks) makes an upgrade speaker package for our cars that is plug and play. Not sure if they are still a sponsor on the site or not. I don't know what kind of sound you are looking to get but I think the stock LOGIC 7 sound system is one of the best features about the E65/E66.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...eries-E65-E66/
Can't really use these guys as my car does not have the factory speakers or anything. Looks like they had a system in this car and ripped it out and left me with two door speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
I have a ads powerplate amp 4 Chanel still new in the box I bought years ago and never installed it. I hear they are one of the best amps around, or were...... I will install it someday but not in the 7. I also have 2-12 kicker comp subs, episenter, kicker comp 5-1/4 mids with there titanium dome tweeters that run thru a crossover that has lights that burn the overamperage. Cool stuff. I was running all this on two fagitu ten amps pushing about 450 watts pure.

It was very clear and it would thump. Everything was wired into a Sony mini disk player/recorder. I love old school stuff as I have cornerhorns and a nice macintosh amp and tuner at home.
Nice. Yea, I love the old stuff too. They just don't make em like that anymore. I think A/D/S is out of business, Phoenix Gold is now made in china...as is most of the stuff you can buy in stores.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Picked up some ID10s. Going to use a generic dual 10" box and facing forward and then build a backer panel to hide the subs and make it look OEM. Cracked open the rear door panels...looks like I have MB Quarts in there too. Reconing the MB Quart in the front that has a torn cone.

Looked under the rear dash and it has metal panels underneath...there should be speakers behind them shouldn't there? I'll yank that off to check when I install everything. ADS amp is going to power my mids and highs. Phoenix Gold ZX350 is going to power the subs. Should sound nice.

Next up will be H&R Springs, Bilstein struts, and some style 128 wheels and new tires.

Replacing my dying alternator tomorrow...can't have that thing pushing the stereo. Also changing the trans fluid, pan/filter/adapter tomorrow as I'm getting closer to 100k miles.

My CPT9000 should be in the mail.

Last edited by BuiltnBoostedZ; 12-14-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
I have some old black ppi amps made in the usa, lying in my basement. Pm me any interest.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltnBoostedZ View Post
Picked up some ID10s. Going to use a generic dual 10" box and facing forward and then build a backer panel to hide the subs and make it look OEM. Cracked open the rear door panels...looks like I have MB Quarts in there too. Reconing the MB Quart in the front that has a torn cone.

Looked under the rear dash and it has metal panels underneath...there should be speakers behind them shouldn't there? I'll yank that off to check when I install everything. ADS amp is going to power my mids and highs. Phoenix Gold ZX350 is going to power the subs. Should sound nice.

Next up will be H&R Springs, Bilstein struts, and some style 128 wheels and new tires.

Replacing my dying alternator tomorrow...can't have that thing pushing the stereo. Also changing the trans fluid, pan/filter/adapter tomorrow as I'm getting closer to 100k miles.

My CPT9000 should be in the mail.
The rear deck speakers are under the grills by the back headrests. Should have tweeters in their too.

I have a full aftermarket system. But I still use the factory h/k speakers. They are extremely clear with an aftermarket amp. I have 4 12s in the trunk now but am changing to 2 15s. Also have an aftermarket head unit in the car. Good luck with your install!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaileSvick View Post
The rear deck speakers are under the grills by the back headrests. Should have tweeters in their too.

I have a full aftermarket system. But I still use the factory h/k speakers. They are extremely clear with an aftermarket amp. I have 4 12s in the trunk now but am changing to 2 15s. Also have an aftermarket head unit in the car. Good luck with your install!!
That is an insane amount of bass brotha

2006 BMW 750Li - Style 128's with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Magnaflow quad exhaust, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Aluminum Pedals, Umnitza LED License Plate Lights, Beltronics V995

1997 BMW 540i - E39 M5 wheels, straight piped quad exhaust, CAI, Dinan performance chip, H&R springs

2002 Lexus LX470 - Window Tint (20%)

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE - Window Tint (30% front, 15% rear), LED interior lighting

2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 - AMG Sports Package - SOLD

Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaileSvick View Post

Nice. Hope you have some dynomat on the trunk. lol.

I had two 12" W6v2 in my LS400 and Acura RL and that was an insane amount of bass. I ran two 8's in the Z...that was almost perfect for SQ setup. I think two 10s will be good enough for me in the 7. Not trying to knock pictures off the walls, just want some good tunes as clear as possible.

I assume the speakers in the rear are 4"? I believe JL makes some good 4" components. My ADS amp is a 6 channel, so I can push all those components with one amp

Last edited by BuiltnBoostedZ; 12-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad540 View Post
I have some old black ppi amps made in the usa, lying in my basement. Pm me any interest.
Which models? Some guy has a nice old school Zapco for sale here on the forums...I'm so tempted to buy it too, but I have tons of vintage audio equipment. Then again, the X3 could use some tunes.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri [TBR] View Post
That is an insane amount of bass brotha
Oh yes im definitely a bass guy
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Nice. Hope you have some dynomat on the trunk. lol.

I had two 12" W6v2 in my LS400 and Acura RL and that was an insane amount of bass. I ran two 8's in the Z...that was almost perfect for SQ setup. I think two 10s will be good enough for me in the 7. Not trying to knock pictures off the walls, just want some good tunes as clear as possible.

I assume the speakers in the rear are 4"? I believe JL makes some good 4" components. My ADS amp is a 6 channel, so I can push all those components with one amp
Yes all speakers in the car except for the under seat subs are the same size. And if your not looking for insane amounts of bass you could always do the Earthquake 8" subs under the seats with a nice mono amp. It should give you a nice filling amount of bass to complete your system and not take away your trunk space.
The only problem with subs in the trunk of the 7 is the amount of insulation and padding really muffles out your bass.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Quote:
Which models? Some guy has a nice old school Zapco for sale here on the forums...I'm so tempted to buy it too, but I have tons of vintage audio equipment. Then again, the X3 could use some tunes.
There the good ones!!! I think i have the whole set 50x2,75x2 and 350x2 ll rated at rms and less than .02 thd.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 AM
SideShow activist

Mein Auto: 745Li
I'm running 2 Alpine Type R 15's and Alphasonik Amps for now.

Current Lineup:
BMW E31: Air suspension,19x10 / 19x11 Trafficstar
BMWE38:Air suspension,20x10 / 20x12 Forgiato
BMWE65: 22x10 / 22x11 Asanti ELT
Lexus SC400: Single turbo, 19" SRR wheels
Lexus GS300: VIP , Air Suspension,19" WORK wheels
S13 Silvia: WideBody, JDM conversion,SR20det,15" WORK wheels
Lexus LS430 UL:Air Suspension, 20"MAYA DLS

Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Hello BimmerFest,

I bought my 7 to replace my Fully Built 350Z Twin Turbo I had to sell after having a baby. My 7 was previously not very well taken care off. I've put alot of effort into making this car right. She was neglected as far as maintenance was concerned. After I got the motor right, I started ripping off door panels only to find the factory system had already been removed. They left me with a set of MB Quart separates in the front doors...that's it. Jerry rigged in there I might add, and the passenger side mid-bass woofer was blown. WOOHOO! So I'm starting from scratch pretty much.

I have a couple of vintage amps I will use in the system I'm building. One 6 channel A/D/S P650 amp and a Phoenix Gold ZX350 amp. Both old school amps made in the good ol US of A.

In the past I've used Infiniti, Boston Acoustic, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, and the like in most of my stereo systems. Been pretty happy with the results. This go around I'm thinking of building custom speakers. Not sure if it will be worth the trouble or not. Going with 4" woofers in the doors and tweeters to go with them. Then maybe a pair of coaxil full range speakers in the back dash. (2) 10s in the trunk in a sealed or band pass box. More than likely I'll go with some Image Dynamic IDQ's or some JL W3s.

What have you guys been using? Is it worth building my own speakers from speaker component companies to get a little more bang from my buck as opposed to buying high end name brand components? Have you guys been using baffles in the doors to get more sound out of the mid range speakers?
The big question is what type of system do you want? Do you want to reuse the factory head unit and the amplifer with the Logic 7 system? Do you want to only reuse the factory unit and then have the signal cleaned up and off to your speakers?

The big thing about our cars is figuring out if the factory amplifier is working properly. If it's not working properly then it's a lot of work to get the system running any way you want it to run.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
The big question is what type of system do you want? Do you want to reuse the factory head unit and the amplifer with the Logic 7 system? Do you want to only reuse the factory unit and then have the signal cleaned up and off to your speakers?

The big thing about our cars is figuring out if the factory amplifier is working properly. If it's not working properly then it's a lot of work to get the system running any way you want it to run.
I do not have Logic 7 or any factory components in the car other than the head unit.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I do not have Logic 7 or any factory components in the car other than the head unit.
You must have at least 1 amplifier (Either the HI-FI one or the Logic 7 one) to power the speakers in the car.

Depending on which system you have you'll have a bit of work ahead of you and decisions to make:

1. Do I want to keep the Factory processing and just add amp's and new speakers
2. Do I want to use aftermarket processing?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
I've got a couple questions aswell about the audio system. I had my L7 and M-ASK replaced in december of last year. As of lastweek my subs started going in out. Im wondering if the L7 or M-ASK are going bad. And are they still under warranty.

Last edited by Emeer18; 12-17-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
You must have at least 1 amplifier (Either the HI-FI one or the Logic 7 one) to power the speakers in the car.

Depending on which system you have you'll have a bit of work ahead of you and decisions to make:

1. Do I want to keep the Factory processing and just add amp's and new speakers
2. Do I want to use aftermarket processing?
I have the base stereo...I'll use the signal the front speakers are getting to run a converter (JL cleansweep or the like) and run two amps. See above. OEM DSP, aftermarket amplification....and aftermarket speakers.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I have the base stereo...I'll use the signal the front speakers are getting to run a converter (JL cleansweep or the like) and run two amps. See above. OEM DSP, aftermarket amplification....and aftermarket speakers.

Okay, so your best course of action is to grab the signal AFTER the factory amplifier and simply lead them to a 3.sixty.3 or JBL unit (some of the best right now). Then take the signal after that to your amps and lead them to your new speakers.