Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
my review of bimmer-tech for sirius XM retrofit

So...

I bought a 2013 328i a couple weeks back which did not have sirius. I've had XM or sirius for 7 years, so needless to say I wanted it back. Anyway rather than pay a dealer ~$500-600 for labor and activation I used bimmer-tech.

It seemed a little weird at first, but I can highly recommend them. Its kind of vague on their website exactly what the process entails, but I had heard a few good things about them so I went for it. Let me reassure you if you think you want to try it.

Anyway they send you an obd2 to ethernet cable via DHL. Its nice since online these tend to go for $25 or so, so you can use it later to code other things if you decide to try that.

The bimmer-tech guys are in poland. So they are available mostly in the mornings to afternoons america time. Basically what you do is you go on skype and contact their representative after you get the cable.

I did this at 4am pacific time since well I am sort of an insomniac sometimes.

Anyway they give you 4 files to download, a remote access client , a program that is basically a gui shell with admin access, a zip file full of coding tools and a driver vpn sort of client for the obd2.

So you install all that stuff onto a laptop and make sure the laptop is connected to wifi internet of some sort, and tell them to start the session you prearranged on skype. 30 or so minutes of remote coding later and you have sirius activated in idrive! It actaully took something like 15 min of the guy doing stuff and most of it you cant see but you can see the remote desktop at least that builds the network tunnel to your car. Then he asks you to turn on your car, and they even reboot the idrive a few times while your car is running.

The coolest thing for me was I live in an apartment complex with underground parking. So I had to drive my car to a parking lot across the street, tether the internet to my cellphone over LTE, and then do this while sitting in a parking lot at like 5AM. maybe i looked kind of weird sitting in a BMW while random people walked their dogs outside hahahaha. I called sirius right after and they activated my 1 year trial.

So yeah, highly recommended if you want the sirius trial. You need to be a little more technical but well I saved ~$200 and got sirius active in 30 min instead of an entire day at a BMW dealer. The entire process was very professional. Totally amazed I had my car coded from the other side of the world over my cellphone and laptop.

Last edited by hans007; 12-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Ekon Hitman

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
niceeee. I've never had satellite radio...
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Great review, hans007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arciga18 View Post
niceeee. I've never had satellite radio...
Get it only if you want the programming. The sound quality is dreadful.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I bought the fsc code, just need to code it to the car.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Great review, hans007.

Get it only if you want the programming. The sound quality is dreadful.
Yah its not the best though the stations I listen to ( dance music and hip hop) are not nearly as compressed as some of them. Some of the less popular stations are really bad sounding like the country ones and some of the less popular rock . its about what I expected.

Last edited by hans007; 12-09-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Thank you Hans for your feedback!

After reading your post I was trying to imagine you sitting in your BMW with the laptop on your knees at 5am in the morning You really wanted to get it done ASAP
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
So the car comes with the hardware and just needs to be modded to activate Sirius? I wonder if this could be done by someone who is good at coding....or maybe someone will post a "how to activate Sirius via coding" thread someday.... For dealer activation in Canada it's 450 bucks.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
So the car comes with the hardware and just needs to be modded to activate Sirius? I wonder if this could be done by someone who is good at coding....or maybe someone will post a "how to activate Sirius via coding" thread someday.... For dealer activation in Canada it's 450 bucks.
ouch.

its $375 here plus labor. which i think they charge 2 hours most dealers, so thats how you get that $600 ish quote.

not to mention they take a whole day and you have no car. bimmer-tech took about half an hour.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
ouch.

its $375 here plus labor. which i think they charge 2 hours most dealers, so thats how you get that $600 ish quote.

not to mention they take a whole day and you have no car. bimmer-tech took about half an hour.
Yeah I'm talking about the new car option price...but I am assuming they dont activate it in Germany...they probably do it here....
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm talking about the new car option price...but I am assuming they dont activate it in Germany...they probably do it here....
On 2013 cars its only on premium pack or you have to do it after you get the car. I was told the only way to get it without paying for labor was if you ordered and had it as a port installed accessory
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
You need to purchase an FSC code, then activate using that code with coding.

So you will never get SAT radio for free, but you can sure by the FSC code for a discount. I paid less than $200.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
The FSC are not free, dude. Have you even read this thread? Even if you know -and have the tools and software- to code, still you need to get the FSC somehow, somewhere.