Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 / 2007 335i
2007 X3 Trailer Wiring Control Module Help

I installed a trailer hitch quite a while ago, but am just now getting around to installing the control module for it. I have run into two issues. May be you can help.

I used the following guide to install the hitch.
http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x3/...h-2006-x3.html

Issue #1 involves steps 32 & 33 show the trailer control module wiring. I have the exact same thing in my 2007 X3.

Look closely at the picture in Step 32. The module has 8 pins on the tops row and 7 pins on the bottom. The wiring connector does too. However, look at the top black piece on the control module. You will notice two black tabs sticking out. One in the center and one to the right. The same goes for the bottom.

Now look at the wiring connector closely. You can see the indentations for these tabs. However, they don't match up with the control module. You can't flip the wiring connector over, because the 8 pins would then be at the bottom.

I've attached a picture below highlighting these areas.

Obviously, I can't connect the two together, but I can't figure out how to do it. The person who developed the original guide appeared to have no issues.

Issue #2 involves steps 27 & 28. This is connecting the existing wiring harness to the hitch harness. The guide shows the existing harness beside the pocket. He was able to use a mirror and find his. I cannot find it anywhere next to the pocket. I've felt around and can seem to locate it. It appears that I will need to remove the pocket and possibly the side cargo panel. However, I cannot figure out how to remove either of these.

I've removed the torx bit screws holding in the tie down rail, but can't get it to come out. Does anyone know how to get the pocket or the side panel off? I know you have to be able to get the side panel off to get to the shock tower!

Thanks,
-w
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
IIRC you have to unlatch the lever on the wiring harness plug itself.... plug it in and pull the lever back down which will pull the plug and box together.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 / 2007 335i
Thanks USARET!!

That was it. I feel like a complete idiot. I've messed with that wiring harness connector for more than 1 hour over the past week and couldn't figure it out. Thanks to you within 2 minutes I had it connected.

Now to the next problem. Can anyone help me with steps 27 & 28. I can't find the connector in the area next to the pocket. So I think I will need to take off the side panel in the passenger cargo area. Does anyone have the proper steps to take this panel out?

Thanks,
-w
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil33562 View Post
Thanks USARET!!

That was it. I feel like a complete idiot. I've messed with that wiring harness connector for more than 1 hour over the past week and couldn't figure it out. Thanks to you within 2 minutes I had it connected.

Now to the next problem. Can anyone help me with steps 27 & 28. I can't find the connector in the area next to the pocket. So I think I will need to take off the side panel in the passenger cargo area. Does anyone have the proper steps to take this panel out?

Thanks,
-w
step 1 have sex
step 2 wait 6 years
step 3 have children use tiny hands to plug in the connector for you
profit!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: X3
^^^lol...funny! I have 3 kids I could lend to the cause!

In all seriousness, I followed the same in instructions and did not have to remove the pocket. Push the wiring harness into the car from the outside and you will see it pop through and then feel around for the other socket connection.

Also don't feel bad about that lever on the wiring module. It took me an hour to figure it out too!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
step 1 have sex
step 2 wait 6 years
step 3 have children use tiny hands to plug in the connector for you
profit!
You just made my day!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
........i followed the same in instructions and did not have to remove the pocket. Push the wiring harness into the car from the outside and you will see it pop through and then feel around for the other socket connection.
+1
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw
On a more serious note, I was able to get my girlfriend to wiggle here hands in the small opening and plug the connector in without taking out the cubby hole.