Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Sudden excessive engine idle noise on 335i M-Sport

Today our 1 month old 2013 F30 335i M-Sport Sedan with almost 1000 miles on it suddenly started making a rather loud engine noise "roar" when idling at stoplights during a short trip. According to the tach it was idling at normal RPM. Since the trip was short the engine hardly got a chance to warm up and the outside temp was about 45 F.

When I got the car home I popped open the hood to take a listen. It was a roaring sound somewhat reminiscent of the sound that a diesel truck makes when idling. I shut the engine off and then turned it back on. The roar was gone and our F30 sounded normal again.

Has anyone else experienced this with the F30 335i? Could the cause be something that triggered the engine cooling fan to run faster?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post
Today our 1 month old 2013 F30 335i M-Sport Sedan with almost 1000 miles on it suddenly started making a rather loud engine noise "roar" when idling at stoplights during a short trip. According to the tach it was idling at normal RPM. Since the trip was short the engine hardly got a chance to warm up and the outside temp was about 45 F.

When I got the car home I popped open the hood to take a listen. It was a roaring sound somewhat reminiscent of the sound that a diesel truck makes when idling. I shut the engine off and then turned it back on. The roar was gone and our F30 sounded normal again.

Has anyone else experienced this with the F30 335i? Could the cause be something that triggered the engine cooling fan to run faster?

Thanks.
We have over 3,800 miles & have not experienced that kind of engine noise. We drove ours cross country & everything seemed fine on that trip. Is this a one time occurrence ? Or does it happen each time you drive it now? If it persists , I would take it by your local dealer. Good luck.
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
We have over 3,800 miles & have not experienced that kind of engine noise. We drove ours cross country & everything seemed fine on that trip. Is this a one time occurrence ? Or does it happen each time you drive it now? If it persists , I would take it by your local dealer. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this noise is a one time occurrence and was quite loud. At first when I stopped at a stop sign I though that there was a truck next to us making the noise. I have not taken the car out since it happened earlier today. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have been babying the car and have not taken it on any long trips yet. Yes, indeed I will take it to our dealer if it reoccurs. Perhaps they have an explanation. I wonder if it is some kind of a software issue that for some strange reason got triggered during our short drive today?

Bob
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this noise is a one time occurrence and was quite loud. At first when I stopped at a stop sign I though that there was a truck next to us making the noise. I have not taken the car out since it happened earlier today. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have been babying the car and have not taken it on any long trips yet. Yes, indeed I will take it to our dealer if it reoccurs. Perhaps they have an explanation. I wonder if it is some kind of a software issue that for some strange reason got triggered during our short drive today?

Bob
Good luck. Keep us updated if it happens again
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Good luck. Keep us updated if it happens again
Thank you.

On another forum, I was told that it is likely a malfunctioning thermostat which may burn out the fan if not attended to.

It didn't happen today when we took the car out, but I did find an entire thread where something similar happened to other F30 335 owners. Unlike some of the other people that posted there I did not notice a lack of power when it occurred but I was driving in city traffic and did't push the engine.

Here is a link to the F30 thread reporting this:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...+F30+limp+mode

I am bringing in our F30 to the dealer tomorrow to ask them to check it out. I don't know if they will want to do that if it is not occurring when I bring it in? I will report back on what they tell me or if they will even want to check it out if the problem is not occurring when I bring it in to them.

Bob
Old 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Something similar to this happened to my car about three weeks ago. Very odd. Pulled into a parking lot to turn around. As I was turning around I noticed a loud roar. Popped the hood and got out. Same thing, it seemed my fan was racing. Turned off the car for a minute or two. Started it back up and everything was back to normal. Had never happened before and hasn't happened again since. I have a 2006 E90 330i with 85k miles.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Update: Fan noise:

Our dealer replaced "the cooling fan" last week as they found a fault code even though our F30 never made the fan noise again. A couple of days after picking our car up from the dealer, the yellow dash "check engine" light suddenly came on at a little less than 1900 miles. Therefore, our car is going back to the dealer to be checked again. The dealer is concerned that the engine warning light might have been something that they did during the repair and they want the car back to check for fault codes" that might have triggered the light to come on.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Mine has done this and as I recall it was within the first 1000 miles. "Why is that truck next to me revving his engine?" I also have what feels like an occasional misfire at idle and noticeable hesitation. I called the dealer yesterday to get the ASS turned off (they won't do it until I have 3000 miles on the car) and was going to have the engine checked too. Now, I'm going to just have the engine checked.

Not to thread-jack but doesn't car report error codes to the dealership via BMW Assist?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Poodle View Post
Mine has done this and as I recall it was within the first 1000 miles. "Why is that truck next to me revving his engine?" I also have what feels like an occasional misfire at idle and noticeable hesitation. I called the dealer yesterday to get the ASS turned off (they won't do it until I have 3000 miles on the car) and was going to have the engine checked too. Now, I'm going to just have the engine checked.

Not to thread-jack but doesn't car report error codes to the dealership via BMW Assist?
Exactly what I thought when I heard the fan noise when I stopped at a stop light. I looked around for a big truck near me, but soon realized that it was our F30 making the noise.

We always turn ASS off every time we turn on the engine. One would think that BMW could have done a better job implementing it. Love the abbreviation though. Will see if our dealer will do it before 3K miles.

Our car goes in Thursday to have the yellow dashboard engine warning light checked out.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Just fyi - the Check Engine light ALWAYS indicates some kind of emissions control fault. There are tons of possibilities that could trigger an emissions fault.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!