Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI
Sirius Activation & Installation Questions

Sup Guys,

I contacted Sirius today in hopes to get satelite radio activated on my car. I believe, my car is cable ready as i have the "satelite" option on my factory (navigation) head unit. However, when I select it it gives me a "ESN" number and refers me to call the Sirius 1-800 number. When I called I was initially informed that i did not need any additional equipment to get it satelite radio activated on my car. After further questions, the rep informed me that all i need is a "SureConnect" cable which costs $19.99 (see link; http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600...l1/sureconnect ).

However, based on my research on the forum, I see some guys buying a specific module. My questions are the following;

1. What do i need to active sirius satellite radio on my car? I own a 06 330XI, Navigation radio with a "satelite" dedicated channel. The car also comes equipped with the shark fin antenna. Not sure if that helps.

2. What if any additional equipment do i need? Where can i purchase it & how much does it cost (roughly)?

3. Where can I find an installation guide?

As a gift of appreciation the following are some Sirius deals, hope it helps!

http://www.siriusxm.com/customeragre...winbackoffer10 - Premier subscription. 6 months for $34.99
http://www.siriusxm.com/customeragreement/winbackoffer9 - Premier subscription. 5 months for $29.99
http://www.siriusxm.com/customeragreement/winbackoffer8 - Select subscription. 6 months for $24.99
http://www.siriusxm.com/customeragreement/winbackoffer7 - Select subscription. 4 months for $19.99
http://www.siriusxm.com/customeragreement/winbackoffer6 - Select subscription. 5 months for $24.99

Thanks again

Last edited by toicy4ya; 12-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
So, first of all it looks like that cable is an FM transmitter cable. I don't know about your particular car, but if you show a satellite option on the factory radio and get an ESN, then I highly doubt an FM transmitter cable is the correct item needed - that is if any item is needed.

As to anything you might need for your car, I recommend you contact Patrys @ BimmerTech - he's a board sponsor and contact info is on the Site Sponsors page.

BTW - your Sirius subscription links don't work.

Last edited by gpburdell; 12-10-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
So, first of all it looks like that cable is an FM transmitter cable. I don't know about your particular car, but if you show a satellite option on the factory radio and get an ESN, then I highly doubt an FM transmitter cable is the correct item needed - that is if any item is needed.

As to anything you might need for your car, I recommend you contact Patrys @ BimmerTech - he's a board sponsor and contact info is on the Site Sponsors page.

BTW - your Sirius subscription links don't work.
BimmerTech cannot help the OP in this particular case. OP's car is 2006 (external Sirius tuner, no FSC required) and the ESN is showing in the screen. If the ESN is showing in the screen then it means that the tuner is functional. So what is required is for Sirius to activate it remotely.

There must be an undisclosed issue here if Sirius cannot remotely activate this tuner.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM

So, I called them up and got it activated. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised on the sound quality. I was expecting something closer to iPod quality. The sound doesnt sound as full. Is it just me?

Btw, no additional cable or module was needed, just activation.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe
[QUOTE=toicy4ya;7241196]So, I called them up and got it activated. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised on the sound quality. I was expecting something closer to iPod quality. The sound doesnt sound as full. Is it just me?

I felt the same way about the sound quality so I dumped it after my six month plan expired. Thin, sibilant sound equaled headache in my case. Passengers agreed, so it just wasn't me. Jeez, the FM radio sounded ten times better. Ipod all the way for me. Btw, nice looking ride.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=AWCoupe;7241529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
So, I called them up and got it activated. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised on the sound quality. I was expecting something closer to iPod quality. The sound doesnt sound as full. Is it just me?

I felt the same way about the sound quality so I dumped it after my six month plan expired. Thin, sibilant sound equaled headache in my case. Passengers agreed, so it just wasn't me. Jeez, the FM radio sounded ten times better. Ipod all the way for me. Btw, nice looking ride.
Dude, I was saying the same thing earlier. I may also drop it after the six months.

Thanks for the compliment bro.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post

Btw, no additional cable or module was needed, just activation.
No, it is not you. It is what it is: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=16
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Satellite's benefits are its variety and availability. Sound quality is not the strong point. Regular radio is superior and HD radio even more so.

Also, in my experience with Sirius and XM, you can really haggle with them on price; don't just accept the offer they give you.

Last edited by Pasa-d; 12-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.