Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 08-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Mein Auto: Michigan
Front brake issues

I have a 97 E36 M3. I just put on all new brake pads, two new rotors (front), all wheels are balanced and four wheel alignment was done this morning. I was at the Summit track this past weekend and when I hit the brakes at top speed, the steering wheel started to shake back and forth. The hotter the brakes, the worse the shaking. This only happened starting on the third lap or so and when the brakes were hot. On the way home, I pressed the brakes repeatedly to get them hot to see if the steering shell would shake. After they got hot again, the steering wheel started to shake again. My friend rode back in his car and went to the passenger side of the car while driving down the highway to look at the passenger side brakes, wheel and caliper. When I hit the brakes, he noticed an extreme wobble in the right, passenger wheel/tire side to side, right to left. Earlier in the day, we pulled the tires off the front and checked to see if there was any movement, back and forth to see if there was a wheel bearing issue. No movement notices. When the pads/brakes are cool, they work well with no shake in the steering wheel. Again, both front rotors are 4 days old. So, I am clueless on what would be causing this wobble in the wheel/tire when the brakes get hot. Could it be one of both front calipers going/gone bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: BMW
yeah... worn components will let themselves be known AT SPEED.
Check suspension, then recheck your front wheel bearings...
Wiggle wheel while car is jacked up, wheel still BOLTED on car.. hands at 3&9oclock, then test again at 12&6oclock

Recheck your brakes since you just did them.. something may have been overlooked.
Did you rebuild the calipers? clean? baseline them? reset them?
or just squeeze em in and insert new pads?

Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
I don't have to read the username on these posts to know who wrote it.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Mein Auto: Michigan
Thanks for the information. After lifting the car, I looked closely at the FCAB. Both rubber bushings had cracks and warn down. I replaced with silicone bushings. I rebuilt the front calipers down to media blast, new gaskets and also new rods with brass inserts. I also am putting new tie rods on. Just pulled them off today and noticed an extreme difference in the amount of play in the bolt section between the old and the new ones. So, in seeing the cracked bushings and other items worn down, I believe they all have a part in the wiggling front tire and steering wheel. I will need a new front end alignment once the new tie rods are put on. I am confident that this should take care of the issue. The next project is the changing of the intake.
Thanks again for the information.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)
Today's Posts Search