Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335 Coupe
Question 06' 550I Sport--what do you guys think??--Thinking about buying it--PICS

Hello Everyone, 1st time poster but longtime reader. I've been researching buying an E60 for quite a while. After much though & consideration, I know I want a 550I with the Sport Pkg and if possible with the facotry M-body Kit. I've read about how much more superior the 550's are to the 545 and obviously I would not consider a 535 because of the small engine. I've found this local car and from the pics and ad it appears to be really taken care of and fully loaded including the rare M-Sport pkg. I've spoken to the owner and he seems bonifide and legit and knows his car. He claims he wants to sell because he's gathering funds to purchase a M6. The price is not bad, however it's not a steal like I want, but then again any car priced to low probably has soemthing wrong with it. The owner states he initially was asking $18K but is now at rock bottom on price.... Please check out the link to the car and give me advice on what yall think. Is $14.8K a snag for this car. I'm confident mechanics are in great shape because he spent over 45 mins talking about his car and other BMW's he's owned including previously an 840CI, E46 M3, and a 750I and he is definetly an enthusit. I don't want to lose this one to anyone else, especially since it's a Texas car. Thanks

link to ad & pics

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32725843&Log=0_a_
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasman View Post
I would not consider a 535 because of the small engine. I've found this local car and from the pics and ad it appears to be really taken care of and fully loaded including the rare M-Sport pkg.

link to ad & pics

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32725843&Log=0_a_
Car is pretty clean, but the M-tech kit was not available in 2006...probably a knockoff. Definitely ask the owner about maintenance records, specifically the oil change intervals. This car has 108K miles and at around this mileage, the valve stem seals start to leak if the car has had 15K mile oil changes all its life. A good way to test when you see the car is to let it idle for a couple of minutes and then stomp the gas pedal....if there is a big puff of blue smoke, the valve stem seals and guides are bad and it's burning oil. A head job is usually required to fix:$$$.

I'm also curious as to why the interior of the engine bay is a different color than the rest of the car? Maybe thats normal, I dunno, but seems odd. I think mine is body color. Accident?

Also, although the 535 has a smaller engine, they can be made to be much faster and more powerful than the 545/550 with just a cheap tune. The risks with them are the myriad of potential mechanical problems...

$14K for that year with that mileage is an average price...

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Last edited by jim165; 12-21-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 AM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
I bought my 2006 550i with 83k on it two weeks ago. Mine is base and does not have Nav, SAT, or the sport package, but does have the cold weather package. I paid $14,995 for it - which I felt was a steal. Clean CarFax report, two owner, serviced at a dealership 5k miles ago from when I got it.

I'd say this is average price for the miles.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 550i
In before the lock...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Nice looking car. Just lose that M badge in the kidney grille. Tacky.
If it was well maintained it should have many good years left in it. New suspension is a good sign that the previous owner took good care of it.
just be prepared to shell out for various failures along the way. Happens with high mileage cars that are over 5 years old. Hopefully you have a good independent mechanic to work with.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
Car is pretty clean, but the M-tech kit was not available in 2006...probably a knockoff. Definitely ask the owner about maintenance records, specifically the oil change intervals. This car has 108K miles and at around this mileage, the valve stem seals start to leak if the car has had 15K mile oil changes all its life. A good way to test when you see the car is to let it idle for a couple of minutes and then stomp the gas pedal....if there is a big puff of blue smoke, the valve stem seals and guides are bad and it's burning oil. A head job is usually required to fix:$$$.

I'm also curious as to why the interior of the engine bay is a different color than the rest of the car? Maybe thats normal, I dunno, but seems odd. I think mine is body color. Accident?

Also, although the 535 has a smaller engine, they can be made to be much faster and more powerful than the 545/550 with just a cheap tune. The risks with them are the myriad of potential mechanical problems...

$14K for that year with that mileage is an average price...
Something is fishy. Agree, M-Sport was not available until 2008, but the description claims all factory. Also, the rear spoiler is not part of the package. The white engine bay definitely would draw some concern.

I would proceed cautiously on this one.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
I would also say run an AutoCheck report by Experian. CarFax is ok but AutoCheck is much better. It will show a lot more than carfax and it save you headaches down the road.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Not necessarily an accident, but could have changed exterior color of the car when the aftermarket (not factory) M-kit was installed. My concern would not be the aftermarket kit, rather the deceptive description in the ad. I'd also run the VIN to understand what colors and options came with the car from the factory as part of your due diligence on this one.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 06 550i
The ad is definitely deceptive, like everyone else has already said there wasn't a kit for that year BUT that doesn't mean it's not OEM. He could have bought it and had it installed. Also that is not the sport steering wheel either. This could just be a guy saying a few extra things to talk his car up or big trouble. I recommend going to the dealership and asking for the build sheet for the car. Be careful and good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Yup. Car's def been painted - looks like white underneath?

2008 550i M sport
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I just spoke with the owner and raised the concerns that have been mentioned above. The owner was honest in stating that the M-kit is indeed OEM and was installed by the Dealer at the time of purchase he confirmed that it wasn't available on 06 but he did verify that Classic BMW of Plano was original seller. He is the 3rd owner and the previous owner had the car for almost 4-5 years. I asked about the paint mismatch and he was adamant that the car has never been in any accident nor ever been painted. He was actually suprised by my question and stated that without a doubt it's the same color as the body and that maybe the flash on the camera was the cause. He stated he has the docs detailing the shocks, tires (from discount tire), and the brakes (purchased online and installed by his BMW mechanic). He stated he was aware of the valve stem leak issue and his car doesn't have that leak. He stated that there' no smoke o anything comming out of the exhaust. He stated he changes his oil every 3500 miles even though he knows he can go longer but apparantly he simply prefers to have the best oil in it. He stated that back in the summer the coolant expansion tank cracked on him and when he had it replaced he also had a coolant flush done. He spoke about BMW expansion tanks and knew they were a problem. He said he has already had a pre-buyer inspection done on the car at a local european shop but that the buyer couldn't finalize full asking price by getting a loan. He has the carfax from when he purchased the car and it reports clean, he'll email it to me tonight. He stated that only flaws on the car is that on the lower front lip there is some road rash and he has chosen not to paint it so as to affect the integrity of the car for the next owner. I set up an appointment to see the car on sunday and to test drive it. Hopefully it is as clean as he says and if I can get him to drop the price a little, then I will try to buy it. He even told me that he has taken the car to 148 mph and that when he drives it his normal cruising speed is 80-90 mph. I think this guy is the real deal and doesn't appear to be BSing..... I will let everyone know how things go!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Just for the sense of perspective keep in mind that 7 years ago this 350 hp VP luxury sports sedan sold for around $75k in a show room somewhere.
So it is now available for under a fifth of the price. Even though there may be some issues with history, whether it was at some point painted, or whether some seal may leak down the road, or when the body kit was added, just consider the fact that these cars are available at these price points. Then put this 550 next to what $14k would buy you in the car market today. Not even a Honda Civic.

My previous car was a 99 540i Sport with 6 speed manual. V8 all the way. The guy I sold it too loves it and is taking great care of it. All it needed was some TLC, which I gave it for over 9 years and it continues on.
That's the deal with all these high mileage BMWs that are aging. If you look after them and invest in preventive maintenance, then you can drive it for a loooong time. The E60 550 is a hell of an automobile, but it requires some ongoing attention. You can get them for a bargain these days, but for gods sake don't expect them to be maintenance free. You have to build in some service work in the budget, but then you still have an absolete steal of a deal. There are cars you could lease for $1,000 a month, and if you drove them next to the 550 I know it would be favored in most contests. Period. Ain't nothing like it, but please take care of these beasts. Else look for a Honda or Toyota. No offense intended.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 AM

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Just bought a 2008 550i sport last night! Love it already!!! Do it man, you'll love it too!

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Old 12-22-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 / 545i
I bought a 2004 545i in ONT for $ 13800 best looking car that I found at that time....Small dealer are crooks I found that there was some issue with the car. Mechanical the car should past safety but thank to the guy a techmax they told me to go back.... he actually sent me to a garage but the garage had most dust than car so i decided to take the parts get it done somewhere else. But what make me more angry the transmission had a leaked and the did a butcher job cost ne $ 1500. I WOULD advice to take it to a bmw get it inspected roughtly cost $ 250. If. The owner disagree then walk away but if he agreed without hesitation jump on it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasman View Post
I asked about the paint mismatch and he was adamant that the car has never been in any accident nor ever been painted. He was actually suprised by my question and stated that without a doubt it's the same color as the body and that maybe the flash on the camera was the cause.
I'm having a very hard time believing the engine bay looks white because of the camera flash -- especially when the rest of the car is gray in the same picture. I'm pretty sure that car was Alpine White III ("Alpinweiss", paint code 300) from the factory. Check the paint name / code when you inspect the car. It may be on that little black plate you see on the passenger side strut tower.

I'm not saying you should necessarily pass on the car but it's hard to believe that an "enthusiast" like the seller wouldn't notice something that obvious and that would make me question other things that he said.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM

dallasman, don't know if you purchased it or not, but if the seller is that confident in the car, he shoudn't have any problem with you getting a Pre Purchase Inspection on the car at a dealer/indy of your choice. It seems like you are pretty fascinated with this particular car, but as many of the knowledgeable posters here have noted, there are too many obvious negatives and the seller is shady. Have a professional look over the car or you'll regret it in the long run.

Others:

Last edited by jim165; 12-22-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
If you can get the VIN, try this ink: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Grn Bmr View Post
If you can get the VIN, try this ink: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Great link thanks! I just tried my car and its accurate. OP use this link and enter the vin - it'll tell you the original factory color right away.

2008 550i M sport
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Hi everyone, I checked out the car today and spent almost 1 1/2 hrs with it. In a nutshell this 550 is as the ad describes it. It's been taken care of quite well and there is absolutley no leaks, idle issues, AC issues, or smoke out of the exhaust. The interior is pretty much brand new and conisdering the miles, whomever drove the car was clearly a small person because there was no wear or tear. The current owner is a heavyset guy and was very nice and polite and stated only reason he's selling is to buy an M6. He knew alot about the car and told me about his previous BMW ownership which inculded a DINAN 840ci & an e46 M3. The color underneath the hood is indeed matching the car and the name plate on the car showed it as metallic titanium silver, the picture is deceiving and I'm 100% sure that it hasn't been in an accident. I looked undearneath the car and it's practically brand new. There was a good amount of scuffing on the underside of the front lip spolier but you can't tell unless you actually get down and look for it. All of the electronics worked and I tested every single switch & button. I drove the car and handling was very tight and responsive. The owner drove it first with me in it and took it to 110 mph with little effort. When I drove he allowed me to drive the car hard and to test the steptronic shifting and the sport mode. Tires are pretty much brand new and the brakes sqeek a little at low speeds until they heat up then the sqeek goes away. Exterior paint was pretty much flawless. When I asked if it was okay if I got an independent inspector to examine the car (mind you I was reading his body language as welll at the same time) his reaction was 100% confidence and he infact encouraged me to do it because that's what he does on his cars. And when I asked if he had a shop in mind, he was honest enough to tell me that it would be a conflict of interest if I had the car inspected at a shop he knows- totally blew me away because he was so non-chalante about it. In my mind I defintely want to buy this car. We disucssed price to see if he would budge and he was holding pretty firm. He stated he's dropped the price quite a bit from intial asking price. My budget currently allows to spend no more than $13K since I'm getting this as a 2nd car and so I tried hard to negotiate it down. We went back and forth and finally he relented and said he'd do $14K. I told him that I'd sleep on it and would research a good shop to have the car inspected. he claims that there's been alot of interest in the car and he's hoping to sell it soon as he already has his next purchase lined up. He gave me the vin# and I looked it up on the link above and the vin spec sheet confirmed all the options and pkgs as the ad stated. So, while the $14K is more than I want to spend on a 2nd car, do you guys feel this is a steal. I might try to hold out a week or 2 to see if he budges, but I'm almost positive that if a genuine buyer comes along they'd be able to snag it for $14K or even $13800- $14K. BTW, I'm a good negotiator as I work in sales and so I think I've got a good grasp of what I'm talking about..... what do yall think?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 PM

A well maintained BMW is so hard to find. Buy it. I spent 30k on a spotless 2008 and love it. AND I had to put tires on it! So if you enjoy it absolutely get it as the next one may never come.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM

IMO, it's an OK price. Probably could go a little lower, but I have not physically seen the car so it's hard to say.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 AM

Cool beans, dallasman. I would get it inspected and if it checks out, jump on it!

Others:

Old 12-24-2012, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
Cool beans, dallasman. I would get it inspected and if it checks out, jump on it!
+1.. Sounds like a very nice car. I wouldn't wait around too long thinking about it -- you're going to kick yourself if someone else snags it.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
+1.. Sounds like a very nice car. I wouldn't wait around too long thinking about it -- you're going to kick yourself if someone else snags it.
Very true. 3 cars were sold either during the test drive or buying process before I found my 550i sport. If its what you want buy it because I promise someone else will.