Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Post Brief ED Trip Report 12/2-4

Before I posted the "Who is on the Queen Sapphire?" thread, I felt obligated to share the details of my brief ED trip completed last week.

After a pretty uncomfortable and slightly delayed flight from EWR to MUC, I boarded the Lufthansa shuttle and enjoyed a very nice 35 minute ride to the Hauptbahnhopf, which was right around the corner from my hotel, the Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. I was able to check in early and was thrilled to have been able to book the hotel through Priceline at a reduced rate. It is a beautiful hotel but it is probably the darkest hotel that I have every stayed in. It is extremely convenient to the U-bahn and S-bahn lines due to its proximity to the station.

Since I was picking up the car the next day (Monday), I had the balance of the day to make my way around Munich. My first meal was at the Burger House in the Haidhausen section of town ( a short subway ride). I thought the burgers were very good and the atmosphere was close to your typical American burger joint run by young people- with a lot of (American) hip-hop music and a young crowd. I was very satisfied with my double burger and beer.

I then made my way to the Christkindlmarkt in Marienplatz and was pleasantly surprised. I was traveling solo and I'm not always the outdoor market enthusiast in the family.
The city looked beautiful and it was not long before I fell under the spell of Gluhwein and started my mug collection. Even though it was cold and snowing lightly, my soul was warmed by the mulled wine and the scent of all kinds of food.

I opted to go to an old standby for dinner, the Augustiner Großgaststätte and I enjoyed a delicious sausage platter and a tall beer. After dinner, it was time to sleep and rest up for the next morning's delivery.

The next morning, I hopped on the U2 to the U3 and made my way to the Welt for my appointment at 8:00 am. The Welt was much quieter than for my previous deliveries probably since it was Monday morning and I had to wait around 15 minutes to start the paperwork. Katherina (sp?) handled my paperwork pleasantly and efficiently despite suffering from a cold (as were half of the people working at the Welt that day). I stuffed my face in the lounge area and then we were ready to go. Sven was my guide and I found him to be a bit more awkward than the previous Welt presenters. Nevertheless, he was a nice guy and even rewarded me with a BMW concept electric car matchbox toy for my son. The new car was beautiful and I was particularly excited about the technology package (mostly the head-up display).

I was very impressed with the current state of the Welt with the new Mini and Rolls Royce displays. There was also a little bar and cafe area where the motorcycles are kept on the second floor. I spent a bit of time in the Welt gift shop quickly exhausting my 10 Euro credit and more on some stocking stuffers for my son. They have a nice selection of things for kids and big kids who like cars (not surprisingly). At this point, it was time to go and to take my baby out for a ride. It was quite cold but the weather was mostly dry when I decided to head north to Nuremberg since it was a trip that was almost all Autobahn and not too far away.

The road to Nuremberg (A9, I believe) had very long stretches of unlimited speed roads and the ride was pretty quick. Some areas had more recent snow than others but I felt very safe in the 335xi and was able to do some spirited driving. As many others have commented, it really is pleasant to drive in Germany with the orderly traffic flow.

Nuremberg was a nice town- it also had a beautiful Christmas Market that was in some ways more impressive than Munich's. I wound up eating lunch at a nice little Italian restaurant called Padelle d'Italia. It was quite good, even the pizza! I walked around for several hours and decided to head back to try to avoid full rush hour traffic. I had another fun drive and really started to get used to the new technology in the F30 and I even got somewhat used to the start/stop function.

Back in Munich, I took one more stroll through the Christmas Market at the snowy Marienplatz and feasted on some of the local foods while picking up some souvenirs for my family. I was pretty homesick by now and while sad to part with my new car, I was excited to rest up for my morning flight. I lounged my snow-soaked body in the Sofitel pool and sauna and got some sleep for the morning flight.

I had arranged for an off-hour drop-off at 7:00 at the airport for 50 Euros and despite allowing for some extra time, I zoomed past the Agip gas station and did not get a car wash. Hopefully this will not cost me later . My car was a little dirty from the snow and road salt and the woman from LOGINOUT offered to have it washed for 40 Euros. I politely declined since I figured if the car was sitting for a few days waiting to get shipped it would probably be filthy by the time it was ready to come home. I had a great flight home as I paid $99 for "Economy Plus" to avoid being crushed like I was on the way to Munich. It was money well spent.

Thanks for reading- I know this was not an exciting trip to read about but hopefully this provides some winter reading for those dreaming of their next ED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Munich 2012 005.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	352751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Munich 2012 007.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	352752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Munich 2012 009.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	352753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Munich 2012 020.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	352754   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 007.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	352755  

Name:	munich 010.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	352756   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	352757   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 031.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	352758   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 036.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	352759   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 037.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	352760  

Name:	Munich 2012 026.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	352761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Munich 2012 025.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	352763   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 038.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	352764   Click image for larger version

Name:	munich 040.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	352765  
2008 X3, Alpine White (Ret.) ED: 5.22.08,
2007 328 Convertible, Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown,Sport, (Ret.)
ED: 5.25.07
2005 330 Convertible (Ret.) Sapphire Black/Tan Leather
2002 330 Convertible (Ret.) Silver/Gray Leath
1996 318 convertible (Ret.) Alphine White/Tan Leather
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Thank you for the report. I too found BMW Santa to be picture-worthy.

Good luck on your 6 weeks of waiting.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Thanks, AggieKnight! I saw that you had signed the Bimmerfest book right before me.
2008 X3, Alpine White (Ret.) ED: 5.22.08,
2007 328 Convertible, Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown,Sport, (Ret.)
ED: 5.25.07
2005 330 Convertible (Ret.) Sapphire Black/Tan Leather
2002 330 Convertible (Ret.) Silver/Gray Leath
1996 318 convertible (Ret.) Alphine White/Tan Leather