Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Retrofit 609

I have the 609 hardware FSC enabled for my car. I modified the VO, added 609 and wrote it to the car. Now which ECUs I need to code ? Or what is the approach in enabling 609 ? The original SVT with the ECUs in my car attached. I know HU_CHAMP will change to HU_CIC once the hardware is installed. Car was at I-Step 507 and now after some other coded values, it is at 512.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svt.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	352797  
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black

Last edited by gicamuci; 12-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gicamuci View Post
I have the 609 hardware FSC enabled for my car. I modified the VO, added 609 and wrote it to the car. Now which ECUs I need to code ? Or what is the approach in enabling 609 ? The original SVT with the ECUs in my car attached. I know HU_CHAMP will change to HU_CIC once the hardware is installed. Car was at I-Step 507 and now after some other coded values, it is at 512.
You added 609, but did you remove the non-nav Head Unit Option Code?

I would VO Code HU_CIC, KOMBI, and CMB_MEDIA, and CMB_ECALL.

The FSC Code in the Head Unit, is this a new one for your F10 VIN, or did it come with the donor CIC?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Hi Shawn,

thank you so much for answering my questions. I hope you will have the time to read my explanation bellow to better understand the problem I am facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You added 609, but did you remove the non-nav Head Unit Option Code?
I don't know where to look for it.

Quote:
I would VO Code HU_CIC, KOMBI, and CMB_MEDIA, and CMB_ECALL.
Is VO coding different than the FDL coding ? In "Expert Mode" -> "Coding" should I use the "Code" button to write or "Code FDL" for each of the modules ?

Quote:
The FSC Code in the Head Unit, is this a new one for your F10 VIN, or did it come with the donor CIC?
The FSC Code in the Head Unit, is a new one for my F10 VIN, that I bought with the retrofit kit from bimmerretrofit. I saw all the BMW FSC paper work with my car's VIN on them and I was there when they entered the FSC code to enable the Navi.

Here is the whole story:

I bought this retrofit kit from bimmerretrofit and got it installed and coded by them.
It was working fine until I had to visit my dealer for a seat error code.
Dealer said my car would need the global update, so I said okay, do the global update too. Only they called me after 5 hours of trying (so they told me) saying they can't proceed with the global update, because the original Head Unit and the display were changed. They also told me that if I want them to retry it, then I would have to reinstall the original Head Unit and display. I agreed and I am due next month for this.

Now the problem. Since the car was at the dealer, the Navi doesn't work anymore, placing the car way off on the map. Going into the service menu, GPS section, it is saying "No GPS available" and the almanach has always a value of 0 satellites. I think while clearing the error code for the seat, they must have changed something that disabled the Navi.

I have a backup of the original CAFs, not all of them though (only for CAS, JBBFE, KOMBI, IHKA, DSC_Premium, HU_CHAMP and FRM). I also have a backup of all the CAFs, FA and SVT that I took a few days after the 609 retrofit.
I guess I will have to try and recode the modules you mentioned, using the CAFs from my backup after the retrofit, right ?

Appreciate your help.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM

In E-Sys, "Expert" = > "Coding" module, under "Vehicle Order" after you select "Read" and read your VO, click the "Save" button and then the "Edit" button, and your VO (FA) will open in the FA-Editor. Under "FAList", expand "FA", expand "FZAuftrag", expand "Type" and click on "SALAPA-Element". All your option codes will appear in the lower window, where you can edit and save them. Once you modify the VO, your need to save it again.

Then when you want to VO Code a module, you need to go to "Expert" = > "Coding" module, Load that saved modified FA, Activate the FA, and then for each ECU that you want to VO Code, right-click on the ECU (the ECU itself and not the underlying CAFD) and select CODE. Unlike FDL Coding, which makes individual parameter changes to an ECU, VO Coding will apply the VO to the module and code the entire module (all paramaters) to support the VO.

As for your Navi problem, my fear is ISTA/P terminated your new FSC Code. In E-Sys, "Comfort" = > "FSC" module, select the "Check FSC Status", and copy and paste your results from the log window back here.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM

Here is the FSC status result:

--> Read the state from "1" ECU(s) <--

HU_CIC[DiagAddress=99]
0000000000C873912
RootCertStatus accepted
SigSCertStatus accepted
SWSigStatus accepted
SWTApplications
----------
AppID 23
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus rejected
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 25
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 27
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 111
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 156
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus not available
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 155
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus not available
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 45
UpgradeIndex 4
SWTType SWTshort
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus not available
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Here is the FSC status result:

--> Read the state from "1" ECU(s) <--

HU_CIC[DiagAddress=99]
0000000000C873912
RootCertStatus accepted
SigSCertStatus accepted
SWSigStatus accepted
SWTApplications
----------
AppID 23
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus rejected
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 25
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 27
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 111
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 156
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus not available
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 155
UpgradeIndex 1
SWTType SWTclassic full
FSCStatus not available
FSCCertStatus accepted
----------
AppID 45
UpgradeIndex 4
SWTType SWTshort
FSCStatus accepted
FSCCertStatus not available
AppID 25 is your Navigation, and it looks good.

AppID 27 is your Map for Navigation, and it looks good.

AppID 23 is your Voice Recognition, and that one is Rejected.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: f30 318d
Damn Shawn, how do you know all that

Respect!!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
AppID 23 is your Voice Recognition, and that one is Rejected.
Right, cause I did not opt to buy the FSC for the voice recognition with the kit.

This morning, before going to the office, I had the time only to read the FSC status and also to VO code the HU_CIC. I just learned that after a VO code, a FDL code is needed (which I did not do) cause the HU_CIC is back to its state without any options I did modified previously. For example now I am back to the old style audio player and no DVD in motion.

I can say that after VO coding only the HU_CIC, looking into the service menu, still says "No GPS available". So tonight or tomorrow morning I will VO code the KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA and CMB_ECALL and will try to see how it works before FDL coding them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Searching through the FDLs for GPS, this is what I found:

In CMB_MEDIA there are only two settings that reference the GPS, both in 3006 TELEMATIK. One is the GPS_FROM_MOST (nicht_aktiv in my settings) and the other is the GPS_POSITION_TIMEOUT (5_Minuten in my settings).

In the CMB_ECALL there is only one reference to GPS, in 3001 TELEMATICS -> ECALL_GPS_ENABLED (nicht_activ in my settings)

In HU_CIC -> 3000 theres one reference to GPS, SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER (aktiv in my settings). Then there are two others in 3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE. One is GPS_FROM_NAVI (aktiv in my settings) and NAVI_INFO_INSTANCE_ID ( wert_1 in my settings) with possible values as 1=NAVI, 2=TCU and 3=Combox.

In KOMBI there is again only one interesting setting in 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration -> GPS_UHR (aktiv in my settings) which should enable/disable the clock sync from GPS. To verify this, once my Nav will get fixed (or someone with a functional Nav can try it), I will set the clock 1 hour behind and it will be interesting to see if the clock will get set.

Last edited by gicamuci; 12-13-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Right, cause I did not opt to buy the FSC for the voice recognition with the kit.

This morning, before going to the office, I had the time only to read the FSC status and also to VO code the HU_CIC. I just learned that after a VO code, a FDL code is needed (which I did not do) cause the HU_CIC is back to its state without any options I did modified previously. For example now I am back to the old style audio player and no DVD in motion.

I can say that after VO coding only the HU_CIC, looking into the service menu, still says "No GPS available". So tonight or tomorrow morning I will VO code the KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA and CMB_ECALL and will try to see how it works before FDL coding them. I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes, when you VO Code, it codes the ENTIRE module based on FA, so every FDL parameter is set accordingly, and any custom FDL coding is lost.

So, lets see what you have after VO Coding KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, and CMB_ECALL. Make sure you have 609 in the FA you activate for the VO Coding.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM

Made sure I had 609 in the FA and activated. VO Coded the three modules left KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, and CMB_ECALL. Drove around the block. No joy. Still shows "No GPS available" in the service menu and the position on the map is off by a few tens of miles.
While at it I FDL coded the HU_CIC with the power/torque meters and the xdrive distribution menu. None of them works. In fact the distribution menu just shows but it is greyed out even though the car is xdrive.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Made sure I had 609 in the FA and activated. VO Coded the three modules left KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, and CMB_ECALL. Drove around the block. No joy. Still shows "No GPS available" in the service menu and the position on the map is off by a few tens of miles.
While at it I FDL coded the HU_CIC with the power/torque meters and the xdrive distribution menu. None of them works. In fact the distribution menu just shows but it is greyed out even though the car is xdrive.
When you added 609 to FA, what SA Code did you remove?

Are you positive the GPS antenna connection is made properly at the back of the CIC?

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 12-13-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
When you added 609 to FA, what SA Code did you remove?
None. I don't know which SA to remove.
I attached the FAs and SVTs before and after the hardware install.

Quote:
Are you positive the GPS antenna connection is made properly at the back of the CIC?
I remember I almost broke my nails trying to remove those connectors at the back of the Head Unit when I did swapped them. But then strange things could happen. It is something I would need to check, but the possibilities are slim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fa original.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	353154   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa 609.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	353155   Click image for larger version

Name:	svt original.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	353156   Click image for larger version

Name:	svt 609.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	353157  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
None. I don't know which SA to remove.
I attached the FAs and SVTs before and after the hardware install.

I remember I almost broke my nails trying to remove those connectors at the back of the Head Unit when I did swapped them. But then strange things could happen. It is something I would need to check, but the possibilities are slim.
Well, maybe the GPS Antenna is connected, but to the wrong connector?

What is your short VIN?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Navigation was working fine two weeks ago.

I sent a pm with the VIN.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Bimmer App
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Navigation was working fine two weeks ago.

I sent a pm with the VIN.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Bimmer App
I checked your VIN, and I don't see anything to remove either. I guess the Non Nav system has no option code of it's own.

Well, short of the GPS antenna connector being an issue, I don't have any ideas.

For good measure though, I would also VO Code CAS, ICM, and JBBF.

If that doesn't work, I'd ask Alex at BimmerRetrofit what the issue could be. They have probably seen it all there, and as a customer, I'm sure they would be helpful.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
For good measure though, I would also VO Code CAS, ICM, and JBBF.
I was thinking also to code FRM and CAS. I'll give it a try to the four of them.

Quote:
If that doesn't work, I'd ask Alex at BimmerRetrofit what the issue could be. They have probably seen it all there, and as a customer, I'm sure they would be helpful.
I'll have to postpone this for January. I will take the Global Update first and will contact them after.

Thank you Shawn for your time and patience.
Season's greetings !!!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I was thinking also to code FRM and CAS. I'll give it a try to the four of them.

I'll have to postpone this for January. I will take the Global Update first and will contact them after.

Thank you Shawn for your time and patience.
Season's greetings !!!
Ok. Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Was reading on some other forum and just saw that people retrofitting CICs in their cars, besides 609, they are also adding 6VA.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Was reading on some other forum and just saw that people retrofitting CICs in their cars, besides 609, they are also adding 6VA.
Yes, but that is just to get INPA / NCS Expert to recognize it.

E-Sys already replaced HU_CHAMP with HU_CIC, so I don't think that is necessary.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM

If anyone can please help me with reading these 10 values that you are having on your car (with NAV) in modules: KOMBI, HU_CIC, COMBOX_EMEDIA AND COMBOX_ECALL.
I did attach an excel file in which it will be easy to input the values. Just remove the .pdf in its name.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Book1.xls.pdf (16.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
If anyone can please help me with reading these 10 values that you are having on your car (with NAV) in modules: KOMBI, HU_CIC, COMBOX_EMEDIA AND COMBOX_ECALL.
I did attach an excel file in which it will be easy to input the values. Just remove the .pdf in its name.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.
You had two of the names wrong...You just like making things difficult on me?

Mine though are all the same as yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 001.png
Views:	175
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	353665  

Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Mine though are all the same as yours.
I'm at the end of ideas... But still don't want to accept that something is wrong with the actual CIC or antenna.

Last night I used the original FA and VO Coded KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, CMB_ECALL, CAS, FRM with F010-11-09-507 and FDL coded the original CAFs. Then switched to F010-12-03-512 and FDL coded (not VO coded) the HU_CIC with its backup I took after I installed it. In my mind, like this, it should be back to its "original" state after I installed the HU. But maybe I am wrong... good thing I don't have a hammer near me

This morning I used the Assist service in the car (no BT connection to my phone) and asked the girl that took the call, if she can tell me where I am at that moment. I was in Canada alright, just not in Montreal from the position she gave me.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm at the end of ideas... But still don't want to accept that something is wrong with the actual CIC or antenna.

Last night I used the original FA and VO Coded KOMBI, CMB_MEDIA, CMB_ECALL, CAS, FRM with F010-11-09-507 and FDL coded the original CAFs. Then switched to F010-12-03-512 and FDL coded (not VO coded) the HU_CIC with its backup I took after I installed it. In my mind, like this, it should be back to its "original" state after I installed the HU. But maybe I am wrong... good thing I don't have a hammer near me

This morning I used the Assist service in the car (no BT connection to my phone) and asked the girl that took the call, if she can tell me where I am at that moment. I was in Canada alright, just not in Montreal from the position she gave me.
Quit killing yourself. Call Alex at BimmerRetrofit. This could be something simple for those guys.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Did an offline comparison and found that in SVT, besides the swap between HU_CHAMP and HU_CIC another module gets disabled but not removed. The module is CID.
Does the CID module exists on cars with HU_CICs ?
Somehow I don't have in any of my backups the .ncd file for this module (CAFD_00000186_007_005_000.ncd).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	svt.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	353841