Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60
Question Speedo LCD Issue

I just bought a 2004 523i, half of the lcd display is fine on the speedo but the other half looks some like in the picture. I took it to the dealership and the guys over there say that, the whole speedo would have to be replaced, and recoded which would cost quite alot, has this happened with any one else ? please advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	352808  
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosanadim View Post
I just bought a 2004 523i, half of the lcd display is fine on the speedo but the other half looks some like in the picture. I took it to the dealership and the guys over there say that, the whole speedo would have to be replaced, and recoded which would cost quite alot, has this happened with any one else ? please advice
the old E39 and E53 has ribbon cable oxidation problems, missing pixel etc. But those are prior to iDrive and still using the old matrix display.

You can try pursuing the BMWNA "goodwill" repair/waranty work, your angle would be safety issue since you can't see if the car overheat, or other severe warning situations.

BMWNA paid for new cluster on my BMW X5, and I paid 1hr labor for goodwill work (goodwill by BMWNA since my car was out of waranty at that time). Not bad, even old X5 cluster was $650, so this E60 BMW display probably more.

sorry, I didn't realize you are in Pakistan not NA. my bad.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Problem here is that in pakistan they dont offer any goodwill services any other advices ? Can i put in a used speedo ?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
Pick out a good used replacement cluster here. There are many to choose from:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...tors&_from=R40

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chill View Post
Pick out a good used replacement cluster here. There are many to choose from:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...tors&_from=R40
You need the cluster to be programmed into the car, needs someone with GT1 or autologic to get it done; dealer won't program used cluster intsrument (only brand new one).
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 AM

thats also not an option as well because in pakistan i guess it would be like finding a needle in a haystack , can it be done remotely ?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Do it yourself,cables and software all over eBay.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550I
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
You need the cluster to be programmed into the car, needs someone with GT1 or autologic to get it done; dealer won't program used cluster intsrument (only brand new one).
if you buy an m5/m6 cluster for a 5 series will the programming be easy process or that cluster wont work on a 5 series?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 PM

I can't say for sure.
I know dealer would not program used cluster, so your best bet is to contact your local BMW indy shop (I know mine has both GT1 and autologic diagnostic tools, so they can do coding).

I actually wonder if any of those coding tools can only do copy of info from the old clsuter and put it to the new one, cause if not then someone can temper the odometer prior selling their cars using GT1 or autologic.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
I can't say for sure.
I know dealer would not program used cluster, so your best bet is to contact your local BMW indy shop (I know mine has both GT1 and autologic diagnostic tools, so they can do coding).

I actually wonder if any of those coding tools can only do copy of info from the old clsuter and put it to the new one, cause if not then someone can temper the odometer prior selling their cars using GT1 or autologic.
I'm pretty sure there are some tools that can copy info, but I think it would be from the ECU as that cluster can go anywhere if removed. I think the Bav Tech professional version can, but I sense they are holding back lots of info when I call asking so they make sure I'm not running my own little shop. I ask to do lots of coding, but they say no it can't be done so I resort to NCS.
And any more in depth tampering with odo values is considered an offense, so car makers keep a strict upper hand on that.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550I
Quote:
I can't say for sure.

I found a guy who said he can do the programming, but he is not sure if the connecters will fit or no, So any one of you know if the connectors are the same for the m5 cluster and the 550I cluster?