Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 3
BMW Run flat tires?

Looking for some general answers for the run flat tires.

I'm going to purchase a 2009 bmw 328i.
When it comes time to replace the tires, is it necessary to purchase run flat tires?

If so, why? Is it just for computer software, to let me know how my tires are doing?

Bottom line: I dont want to waste the extra money on run flats when I don't need them. So If I buy aftermarket wheels, could I just go on without the run flats??
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Plenty of people here have go flats.

Plenty of people here have go flats.
Do a search multiple threads will show up with the arguments going on forever.
I have Conti DWS go flats myself .
They are
really quite and I expect them to last a long time plus almost half the price of
run flats. You will have to transfer the tpms senors to any new rims you buy or
get another set for new rims. They are about 50 bucks each at tire rack.TPMS sensors
have nothing to do with the tire, they just check air pressure.
There are no special rims required.
I have never had a tire fall apart just one or two leakers in 20 years.
We have cell phone these days also.
I don't run my tires past the wear bars or till the chord shows.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sea...rchid=19342382

Last edited by ctuna; 12-12-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
I have had both on my cars. If you have a spare. No need for run flats. If you think a can of flat fix will do ya. Wait till you have a tire come apart. Flat fix and a compressor won't cut it.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow3 View Post
Looking for some general answers for the run flat tires.

I'm going to purchase a 2009 bmw 328i.
When it comes time to replace the tires, is it necessary to purchase run flat tires?

If so, why? Is it just for computer software, to let me know how my tires are doing?

Bottom line: I dont want to waste the extra money on run flats when I don't need them. So If I buy aftermarket wheels, could I just go on without the run flats??

Deep Six those vicious RFT's ASAP!

You'll be very glad you did....replace w/Michelin PSS for a smoother, more capable ride.

Where you are, that summer tire should be no problem at all. Unless....you travel to frigid climes, then any summer tire will thunk - Conti DWS the usual cure.

Your rims will handle both types as you like.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
I hated the run flats on my '07 E90. They wore quickly, unevenly and roared. If I were to buy another run flat BMW I'd put regular tires on it and get a spare tire kit. I have a spare on my E83 and wouldn't be without one.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...84&postcount=2
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Yuma View Post
I have had both on my cars. If you have a spare. No need for run flats. If you think a can of flat fix will do ya. Wait till you have a tire come apart. Flat fix and a compressor won't cut it.
And the same can be said for run flats also. Not all flats on run flats can be driven on and I don't want to be waiting on ADAC for a tow in the middle of nowhere at midnight on a weekend! If you can drive on the run flat the mileage is limited and chances are they won't have the tire you need if it is not repairable when you do find service. It's a chance you take without a spare. I carry one of my front tires for any long distance traveling even when I have my performance run flats on! I'm running Cont DWS go flats for the winter months.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Boy, all the RFT haters came out here.

You got good advice in the first reply. There are a LOT of posts about this: use the search function.

But don't dismiss RFT's because of the hater posts; the current state of the technology is much-advanced from the 2006/7 era.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
We endured the OEM runflats for 42,000 miles on our 2009 328i ..... sounded like a freight train derailing ..... the best improvement we made was getting non-runflat replacements ..... sounds like a new car!

AAA and a can of green goo ...... all good now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green slime.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	352955  

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
The newer gen run flats are much improved. You want to experience a "butter" ride with run flats? Try a BMW F30. Those new EL400 run flats with the suspension calibrations are too dam soft IMO.

I just put on Michelin Primacy ZP run flats. Much improved over the Bridgestone EL42 crap from 2006.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
But don't dismiss RFT's because of the hater posts; the current state of the technology is much-advanced from the 2006/7 era.
Absolutely. Go-flats, however, didn't stay on 2006 technology either.

OP, yes you can put go-flats on your car on original rims. Whether that is a good move or not ... well, it will always depend on you. However, if you intend to get a spare for a peace of mind, then there is about zero reasons to stay on run flats - at least as far as I'm concerned. You will quickly see that other people have different opinion on that.

I'm very happy with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I'm also very happy with Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires in the winter. Neither are run flats.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Boy, all the RFT haters came out here.

You got good advice in the first reply. There are a LOT of posts about this: use the search function.

Agree my car came with run flats and they are great! Even for winter setup I got run flats, and they are great! Summer tires and Bridgestone and winter are Pirelli. All of this is for my 2012 335is.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
I switched my run flats to non run flats, so much better and cheaper (use the extra money to get a spare tire and upgraded non run flat tires....

some advertising lol , check out our site if you are interested in getting a spare http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-E90-KIT.html

Enjoy@

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
When would I buy them

If they cost the same.
If they had the same wear rate.
If they felt the same.
If they weighed the same.(they are heavier)
If they made the same amount of noise.(they are not quite with a little wear)
If they weren't rejected for repair by BMW and some tire shops.

Since they still cost nearly twice as much.
Since they wear out twice as fast.
I don't think I will be buying them any time soon but they have made
progress.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-14-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If they cost the same.
If they had the same wear rate.
If they felt the same.
If they weighed the same.(they are heavier)
If they made the same amount of noise.(they are not quite with a little wear)
If they weren't rejected for repair buy BMW and some tire shops.

Since they still cost nearly twice as much.
Since they wear out twice as fast.
I don't think I will be buying them any time soon but they have made
progress.
lol ....... agree with all of these except the wear rate - we had 42,000 miles with 5/32 tread depth left when I just couldn't stand the roaring any longer ..... now with go flats I can hear the sound system!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335is Convertible
My 2 cents to the subject. I had RFT tires on 2008 335i convertible and when it came to replace them I again replaced them with RTF. I got them also on my 2012 335is convertible and I am perfectly fine with them. I suspect that a lot is dependent on where you are driving your car and body style. Here in upstate SC roads are in decent shape. I got 19" 313 style wheels and noise and vibration is what can be expected from sport suspension and 19" size tire. Considering carrying spare in limited trunk space of convertible is simply out of the question, same as driving without spare with non RTF tires. By the way, anytime I drive by a guy replacing flat tire on side of the road I feel sorry for him. Under no circumstances will I put myself or my wife in that situation. It is just the choice each of us have to make.

Last edited by kosinar; 12-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535i M-Sport
I had RFT's on my 2006 330i. They were harsh. Non-RFT's have transformed the car and I'll never go back. While I accept the technology has improved, the inherent sidewall stiffness can only be modulated so far - these things ride harsh because they have to be stiff.

2006 330i - ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/i-Drive/Steptronic Sold
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - ZSP/Xenons/Navigation/6MT
Sold
2011 535i M-Sport - ZMP/ZPP/ZP2
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Agreed...you have to decide what's best for the people riding with you. I generally drive alone most of the time and pretty much in the city between home & work and I drive a car I wouldn't typically be able to afford, so I take the cheap route and drive with BFG go-flats. I like them, they are lighter than RFTs and a solid tire for very little money...MHO...
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 mustang mach-1
This is my first BMW. And my first RFT's. Coming from an Infiniti G-35 sport coupe that ate tires up every 15-23k miles no mater the size , brand, tire pressure. $1100.00 every year in a half. After 8k miles it sounded like u were in a 4x4 truck. If the spare tire kit cost $300ish why bother with it? I believe Most new cars from the american big 3 either come with runflats or an air compressor and a can of tire goo. Do the run flats ride that much worse than non rft's ? Or is it just the price difference ? It's a nice knowing that wife has runflats so she can get off the highway to a place that's not gonna have the right size tire any way, but she won't be stranded in the middle of BFE with a flat.