Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
New Nav Install

Hi all, just got my first BMW X1 and wanted to install an inboard nav system. The one I went for is from seicane.com and looked pretty good. Install was pretty simple but it has taken over my in car blue tooth system and I am trying to work out how to shut it down. I think it will need a snip of the wires in the harness but have no idea which one and seicane arent that helpful. The system it intergrates with is the Harmon Kardon Professional, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car_gps_navigation_for_bmw_x1_e84_with_8_inch_digital_screen_two-way_can_bus-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	372068  
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I plan to buy an X1 without GPS and have this installed too

Keep me posted
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
update

It aint going to well. The unit loks very good but it's blue tooth system is s#$t and it shuts down the bmers internal microphone and uses it's own that just doesnt sound any good at all.
What I am trying to do is find out if there is a way to shut down the blue tooth system and just use it as a navigation device as that part works well.

Will keep you posted.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
This looks interesting...Would you just not pair your devices to this unit?
I have several bluetooth devices in my suburban ( since my wife also uses it...) and our phones each pair to a different device. we have no trouble or issues...Perhaps it is something specific the BMW's
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Drive
I didn't waste $2500 on the NAV either. Not a good value. My iPhone 5 props up perfectly in the storage space where the NAV would have gone. The NAV on my phone works great! And Siri works through the Bluetooth system so I can send and receive texts hands free when I drive. Ditch those after market systems.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I agree, if you didn't get Nav, use your smartphone. ProClip has great options for better fits than the cup holder. We use ProClip and iPhones in our 128i which doesn't have Nav. (Although tech package is worth it IMO...it's much more than just Nav).
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1
New Nav Install

I agree. If you have a smartphone with lots of data then you don't need the package but I enjoy the other benefits it offers. Even though I have it I use the iPhone nav more such as when I do searches for restaurants since it takes another step to punch it into the car nav. I only use the car nav for friends' addresses I have programmed into the phone. Those get imported when I pair up the phone with Bluetooth.

Then again if you don't have a good phone data plan then getting the nav would pay for itself if you kept the car for over 4 years.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Wolfex; 04-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Did anyone retrofit ipad mini with GPS chip for nav?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 AM

Mein Auto: P/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
I agree. If you have a smartphone with lots of data then you don't need the package but I enjoy the other benefits it offers. Even though I have it I use the iPhone nav more such as when I do searches for restaurants since it takes another step to punch it into the car nav. I only use the car nav for friends' addresses I have programmed into the phone. Those get imported when I pair up the phone with Bluetooth.

Then again if you don't have a good phone data plan then getting the nav would pay for itself if you kept the car for over 4 years.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You can use the My BMW Remote iPhone app which uses Google maps and will send directions to your car.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: X-1
I would like to get the iPhone 5 while waiting for the X-1 delivery around a month from now. Does anyone know how soon the cradle for the iPhone 5 vs. 4S will be available? Should I just go for the 4S? My Android phone is 2 years old and ready for an upgrade. I like the idea of the antenna of the car working with the phone in the cradle.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: Ordered: X1 sDrive 28i
I think the cradle for iPhone 5 is already available part # 84.21-2 338 568-01
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
I can't find it on the BMWUSA website. Can you double check please?

Thanks, Vince.