Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

View Poll Results: So far, does your X1 meet your expectations?
Below Expectations 6 7.32%
Meets Expetations 19 23.17%
Exceed Expectations 30 36.59%
I'm still waiting for my X1! 27 32.93%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
good question. i have streamed music thru bluetooth to the stereo but will need to verify that you can stream thru usb ports
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbolduc View Post
good question. i have streamed music thru bluetooth to the stereo but will need to verify that you can stream thru usb ports
You can on an iPhone if you are using the appropriate iPhone cables. Android phones will have to use the Aux 3.5mm Stereo port to do the same.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
This is my first BMW, my first import replacing my 2010 Ford Escape FWD. The X1 is my daily driver, outdoors 24/7 as my Mustang is the show car Garage Queen. So its a work horse and very fun to drive compared to the Escape! OMG...LOL, no comparison.

I have the cold weather pckg, seriously never thought I would LOVE a heated steering wheel. It's amazing. The quality of the leather seats are the best I've ever had so far anyway.

The handling, the steering...fabulous. I like this tight steering. After driving the X1, the Stang just handled soooooo badly I put in storage early. This Spring the suspension gets a whole new Shelby package, I hated to drive it after the BMW.

I'm taking my time getting used to everything this ride does. The one thing I do miss are voice commands on Ford's Sync system. That's ok, the car makes up for it. I am anxious and nervous, to see how she handles Chicago snow. We just missed a blizzard.....but so far in cold and wet weather, not a slip on the pavement, not a one. The Escape....FWD not good!

2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 12-21-2012, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Congrats on your first bimmer. Best of luck with it. I see you are a Ford guy. What do you think of the new Fusion? Looks like a nice car but I have not seen one in person.
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 PM

I am also very curious to see how my X1 will handle in the snow,,, my husband loves the BMW high performance tires, however he doesn't think I'm going to like driving
It in the snow. If it snows by you before me, please let me know how it performs!!!
Thanks
A

Last edited by arsous; 12-21-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
as a new BMW owner, I an pretty happy with most aspects of the car. but i really F***ING hate the delay on gas pedal, which I think is some aspect to the 34MPG campaign. I'm looking for some way to fix it, either through the dealer of aftermarket
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM

If its the delay I'm thinking of,,, there is a button to turn off that feature. My husband took a fit when he experienced that also, the engine almost sounds as though it comes to a stop. Well if its the same feature, yes it can be turned off. Other then that nothing I'm unhappy with. I have the XDrive28i. I like the 4cyl turbo engine "So Far"
A
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
The delay is due to drive-by-wire. I don't have my X1 yet. If it is anything like the F30 328i, throttle response is the worst in ECO PRO and improves as you move to comfort/D and Sport.

There are aftermarket solutions and tunes which reduce the delay (including Burger Motorsports). I've been told all delay cannot be completely eliminated due to the drive-by-wire.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsous View Post
I am also very curious to see how my X1 will handle in the snow,,, my husband loves the BMW high performance tires, however he doesn't think I'm going to like driving
It in the snow. If it snows by you before me, please let me know how it performs!!!
Thanks
A
I have the cold weather package and was told I have all season tires. So far in the cold temperatures below 30 degrees, I have noticed absolutely no difference. No slipping whatsoever and on wet cold pavement, I can tell you, I would notice. I will keep you posted. In Chicago, we get...s n o w!. LOL.

2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismaloya View Post
Congrats on your first bimmer. Best of luck with it. I see you are a Ford guy. What do you think of the new Fusion? Looks like a nice car but I have not seen one in person.
I have had 3 Stangs and 2 Escapes, so yes am a Ford girl. New Fusion is awesome. A friend has a 2012 loaded. She was torn between a BMW, not sure what model she test drove and the Fusion. Fusion won, but she raved how the Bimmer handled.

Thank you! I am thrilled to have it.

Oh and never wear dress suede shoes when you have the rubber Winter look mats in! OMG, nearly ruined my shoes......there is your Fashion Trend of the day.

2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013x1 View Post
I have had 3 Stangs and 2 Escapes, so yes am a Ford girl. New Fusion is awesome. A friend has a 2012 loaded. She was torn between a BMW, not sure what model she test drove and the Fusion. Fusion won, but she raved how the Bimmer handled.

Thank you! I am thrilled to have it.

Oh and never wear dress suede shoes when you have the rubber Winter look mats in! OMG, nearly ruined my shoes......there is your Fashion Trend of the day.
Haha, you can always wear shoes just for driving....but yea, thanks for the heads up, I just put mine in yesterday.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013x1 View Post
I have the cold weather package and was told I have all season tires. So far in the cold temperatures below 30 degrees, I have noticed absolutely no difference. No slipping whatsoever and on wet cold pavement, I can tell you, I would notice. I will keep you posted. In Chicago, we get...s n o w!. LOL.
I also have the cold weather package and the all season tires, and yes I agree with you, so far so good in Idaho,,,,, and I will keep you posted, cause yea we get s n o w too!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I also have the cold weather package and the all season tires, and yes I agree with you, so far so good in Idaho,,,,, and I will keep you posted, cause yea we get s n o w too!
Wellllll,, got some snow today, maybe quite not enough to figure it out,, but the X1 did just fine. No sliding or getting stuck, no skidding, IDK, it really felt pretty good...., wasn't worried. We will see if more snow comes our way,, hmmm really NOT BAD!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Wellllll,, got some snow today, maybe quite not enough to figure it out,, but the X1 did just fine. No sliding or getting stuck, no skidding, IDK, it really felt pretty good...., wasn't worried. We will see if more snow comes our way,, hmmm really NOT BAD!!
Great to hear! What kind of tires are you using?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM

I have the Xline with the cold weather, so I haven't changed the tires that came on-the car.
The AWD just does fine gripping the road. I would purchase more aggressive tires, but we
Decided to wait and see how these perform. I was out again last night
Again, bad weather, more stormy, icy. As I took it easy, I have to say I was more worried about someone slidding
Into me,,, sooo I couldn't wait to get home.
My driveway is steep, that was another test, it did fine crawling up into
My garage, so yeah, so far so good.
A

Last edited by arsous; 12-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
My driveway is steep, that was another test, it did fine crawling up into
My garage, so yeah, so far so good.
A
Awesome. Good to know. And taking it easy when there is ice is the best thing to do. We also have a steep entrance at home so it's good to know the X1 can handle it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Would like to change my vote from "waiting for it to arrive" to "exceeds expectations". My only complaint is the auto start/stop functionality. It's not so much that it bothers me as much as I am worried it is bad for the engine. Each time it restarts there is a quick back and forth jerk of the car which doesn't sound good for the motor. It's a shame it doesn't restart as elegantly as everything else about the car.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
I'd say after 200+ miles, my X1 generally exceeds my expecatations, but two issues annoy me to no end:

Throttle hesitation (standing by for further news on the BMS stage 1 upgrade; may spring for this)

Professional Radio. More like a professional PITA! Interface with bluetooth calling is nuts. When I press the phone button on my steering wheel, it proceeds to automatically call whomever is first alphabetically in my iPhone's contact list; it does not pause or allow me to select any other name. I've unintentionally called poor Amanda a dozen times. I must do all that manually via the radio; and the onscreen display for that is pathetic as it only shows the first few letters of each name. I have two "Amanda's" in my phone book. They both display simply as "Amanda". How do I know which is which??

Then there's the MINOR () issue of a 2013 "luxury" brand like BMW that still uses a radio unable to stream bluetooth music, unlike most other cars out there for half the price when fully loaded. Ford Fiesta, anyone?

If I have my phone connected to the radio via cable, then I can play stored music, or stream Pandora. If I try to skip to the next song while listening to Pandora, then half the time it will do so; the other half of the time, it quits pandora and starts playing my stored music.

My onscreen display will show the first few letters of the song title... it will not scroll periodically to reveal the entire name; nor can I find any way to change this display so that it instead reveals the artist, for example. My 2005 Ranger that I paid a whopping $16K for when new, even did this. C'mon, BMW!

I also don't like the volume controls... If I've shut the car off with the music a bit loud, then as soon as I start the car next time... usually early in the morning while still tired and on my way into work for the day... I get that same volume full-force. A lot of other cars will gradually ramp up the volume over one or two seconds to avoid that kind of surprise. In addition, it seems like I need to turn the volume knob a LOT to get a small change in volume; same with the steering wheel buttons. I can sit there pressing like a madman, just to get a minor volume change. I think the adjustment scale needs to be fixed.

I could go on with more, but for now... i think the radio is an even bigger disappointment than the throttle issue. I can tell this radio will not remain installed for very long at all.

I do know the owner manual addresses some of these issues with a complex series of steps involving lots of time and button-pressing; this goes against the inherent requirement (IMHO) that a car radio should be as intuitive as possible so that a driver can spend more time on DRIVING.

OK I'm done ranting... aside from that, I love the car!

Last edited by jbone907; 01-04-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I agree 100% regarding the business radio. However, our 128i redials the last person called through the radio interface when pressing the steering wheel button, not the first in the directory. It is not safe to navigate the radio interface while driving,

The voice recognition system is too cumbersome to bother with (hit speech button and say help for instructions). I wish the speech button on the wheel could activate Siri.

I regret not getting iDrive in the 128i, ordered the X1 with it.

Last edited by nospam; 01-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
I'd say after 200+ miles, my X1 generally exceeds my expecatations, but two issues annoy me to no end:

Throttle hesitation (standing by for further news on the BMS stage 1 upgrade; may spring for this)

Professional Radio. More like a professional PITA!
Luckily we have a six so there is little hesitation, I barely made it out of the parking lot to test drive a 28i and turned around and laughed at the salesman. My wife liked the X1 but even she noticed the lag/hesitation right away with the 4cyl. Took a 35i for a ride and it was a lot better.

Since the only 35 on the lot didnt have iDrive I figured better to have the larger engine than the iDrive (didnt care much for the idrive in my old M3 to be honest). No doubt the 'business' radio has no business in a 40 thousand dollar 2013 anything. Luckily my wife drives the X1 and all she listens to is talk radio on sirius and has my number programmed into the voice calling. A 32gb usb thumb drive on random is all she needs for music. It doesnt sound bad at least.

She still hasnt figured out that the phone button on the steering wheel calls the last dialed number, not sure when I'll tell her

Luckily we didnt buy the car for the entertainment system. Overall we are happy with it and its a fun car to drive. The gas mileage is better than expected as well, Just turned 5000 miles and no real problems. Probably going to change the oil myself soon, not thrilled about waiting 15,000 miles for the first oil change.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP49 View Post
Luckily we have a six so there is little hesitation, I barely made it out of the parking lot to test drive a 28i and turned around and laughed at the salesman. My wife liked the X1 but even she noticed the lag/hesitation right away with the 4cyl. Took a 35i for a ride and it was a lot better.
Interesting that our experience was exactly the opposite. The xdrive35i felt heavy and ponderous with a lot of throttle lag. We assumed this was because the demo vehicle only had a few miles on it (200 miles ish). The xDrive28i felt much better and responded almost instantaneously to the throttle although my wife complains that all the BMWs we have had (and we have had 17 of them) have had the same issue (a lot of 'have's and 'had's in that sentence, sorry). Stomp on the throttle, there is a slight pause and then it takes off like a bat out of hell. This problem also afflicted the MB E500 we owned. You quickly learn to deal with it.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitby View Post
Interesting that our experience was exactly the opposite. The xdrive35i felt heavy and ponderous with a lot of throttle lag. We assumed this was because the demo vehicle only had a few miles on it (200 miles ish). The xDrive28i felt much better and responded almost instantaneously to the throttle although my wife complains that all the BMWs we have had (and we have had 17 of them) have had the same issue (a lot of 'have's and 'had's in that sentence, sorry). Stomp on the throttle, there is a slight pause and then it takes off like a bat out of hell. This problem also afflicted the MB E500 we owned. You quickly learn to deal with it.
I dunno, just the opposite here, I drove two 28i X1s and was very unimpressed with the power. Plus the trans seems like its always shifting. Granted both of the ones I drove were brand new cars with less than 10 miles on them - honestly thought something was wrong with the first one Didnt feel much better than my old 2008 A4 throttle response-wise and the hesitation (not lag) at tip in was pretty pronounced on the X1. Some lag is to be expected on a small displacement turbo 4cyl, thats just how it goes. The 35i we have runs great, I'm actually pretty impressed with it and my daily driver is a GS Corvette. I didnt really beat on it until it had a few thousand miles on it but it really hauls from a dead stop to 80mph or so, and on the highway it can go from 60mph to 100 before you realize it. Now turn the ECO pro mode on the 35i and it turns into a slug..

Last edited by KP49; 01-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Jeebus, how many Corvette drivers do we have on this forum anyway?? Am I in the wrong place? It says "BMW" up top!

Seriously, it seems like over half the regulars I see on this forum (granted I've only been here a few weeks) have Corvettes, and that's awesome!

^^^^^ also a Corvette owner

Which brings me to another observation... it doesn't surprise me that those who frequently drive their Vettes would find the X1 to be slow, but in my case, I was pleasantly surprised with the X1's power, even from the 4-banger that I have. I bought the X1 to be my new winter vehicle, and it replaced a lethargic Ford Ranger that was so slow, it wasn't even funny. The winters up here last for about 5-6 months, with no break... meaning, once it snows and gets cold, it does not melt off a week later, like it might in places down south. It piles up, side streets build up more and more ice, and it's not until spring before conditions usually improve. So, my Vette spends the winter months in storage and it will be April before I drive it next. I stored it mid-October this season, and have been driving that Ranger ever since. Now, going from that ratty old Ranger to the X1, makes me feel as though I now have a Corvette for the winter months. It has suddenly made waiting for spring a little more bearable!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
Jeebus, how many Corvette drivers do we have on this forum anyway?? Am I in the wrong place? It says "BMW" up top!

Seriously, it seems like over half the regulars I see on this forum (granted I've only been here a few weeks) have Corvettes, and that's awesome!

^^^^^ also a Corvette owner

Which brings me to another observation... it doesn't surprise me that those who frequently drive their Vettes would find the X1 to be slow, but in my case, I was pleasantly surprised with the X1's power, even from the 4-banger that I have. I bought the X1 to be my new winter vehicle, and it replaced a lethargic Ford Ranger that was so slow, it wasn't even funny. The winters up here last for about 5-6 months, with no break... meaning, once it snows and gets cold, it does not melt off a week later, like it might in places down south. It piles up, side streets build up more and more ice, and it's not until spring before conditions usually improve. So, my Vette spends the winter months in storage and it will be April before I drive it next. I stored it mid-October this season, and have been driving that Ranger ever since. Now, going from that ratty old Ranger to the X1, makes me feel as though I now have a Corvette for the winter months. It has suddenly made waiting for spring a little more bearable!
After going through just about everything I always end up with a Corvette, they are impossible to beat for the fun per dollar - if you can get away with not having a back seat. Especially when you can walk into a dealer and buy one for 13 grand off sticker without much arguing. I get to drive year round on some pretty great mountain roads so its an excellent car to have around here. Thats why I thought the M3 would be nice, to have the performance AND a back seat, I was pretty disappointed with it overall though.

To be honest I've been into building LS1 powered F-bodies for years and have had several 8 and 9 second 1/4 mile street cars. And I recently just sold my mid 10 second 2011 mustang GT daily driver - the Vette feels slow compared to them.

I didnt find the 4cyl X1 that slow most of the time, it was about on par with my old A4 felt like, you just arent going to get that big V8 grunt with a 2 liter four cylinder no matter what you do. What I didnt really like about it was the trans was always hunting for the right gear it seemed, the 6cyl seems to be pretty happy no matter what gear its in. Its just the whole displacement thing. If you switch it over to DS with the six it tends to shift around a bit more, I didnt fool much with the 4cyl, just turned that silly ASS thing off.

I could probably live with the 4cyl if I was back in the city, but here there are short expressway entrance ramps and 70mph speed limits, many 55mph roads with no stoplights for miles that you have to get on with few gaps between cars. You get to use the wide open throttle 0-60 several times a day. The 28i just seemed to hang there forever when you get on it, not so with the six, that was good enough for the wife and I. Granted the cost is up there on the six and in reality if you are looking for a small SUV the six is a bit of overkill. The 28i is a much better better bargain and most likely thats why around here where the X1 is pretty popular I havent seen another 35.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
Car is great except for throttle hesitation