Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i
front end problem

I have replaced all front end parts...now i notice a shake at certain.speed and a slight lope of the driver wheel at slow speeds... Also when completing at turn my blinker lever doesn't disengage...i don't hear the normal.clicking of the steering wheel when turning..any help and/or ideas is much appreciated
Ads by Google
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk17 View Post
I have replaced all front end parts...now i notice a shake at certain.speed and a slight lope of the driver wheel at slow speeds... Also when completing at turn my blinker lever doesn't disengage...i don't hear the normal.clicking of the steering wheel when turning..any help and/or ideas is much appreciated
If all suspension parts are new, assuming the job was done properly, I would check wheel balance. Swap front to rear to see if the problem recurs. If not, it's wheel balance.

What is a "slight lope of the driver wheel"?

And "clicking of the steering wheels when turning" is not normal. Please elaborate.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
If all suspension parts are new, assuming the job was done properly, I would check wheel balance. Swap front to rear to see if the problem recurs. If not, it's wheel balance.

What is a "slight lope of the driver wheel"?

And "clicking of the steering wheels when turning" is not normal. Please elaborate.
When u put ur blinker on when turning the wheel the lever clicks to reset back to original neutral position... Well my lever isn't being reset to normal position when completing a turn....is that alignment? It was working before hand
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
If the steering wheel is still in the straight ahead position when the wheels are pointed straight, it's not alignment. Does the turn signal not cancel in both directions? The canclelling of the turn signal is performed by a small dog on the steering shaft that rides against the turn signal stalk.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarnold View Post
If the steering wheel is still in the straight ahead position when the wheels are pointed straight, it's not alignment. Does the turn signal not cancel in both directions? The canclelling of the turn signal is performed by a small dog on the steering shaft that rides against the turn signal stalk.
It doesn't cancel in either.direction......
Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
The turn signal thing happened to me to, the stalk would not go back, it turns out the stalk has a small spring that compresses a ball point in a plastic housing and the steel ball had cut a grove in the plastic so when the latch is compressed it would not move. The easy way is to get a used one, very easy to take out, just snaps in .
Old 07-17-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
I'm guessing the slight lope could be a tire that has separated treads. You could swap tires like Fudman suggested but just before you remove the front tires spin them by hand while you are watching the treads from the side of the tire. Do you see any high points in the treads as the tire is rotating? If so the treads have separated.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
I'm guessing the slight lope could be a tire that has separated treads. You could swap tires like Fudman suggested but just before you remove the front tires spin them by hand while you are watching the treads from the side of the tire. Do you see any high points in the treads as the tire is rotating? If so the treads have separated.
In addition to Jim's method, watch the tires' treads from "head on" while you turn them. If you see the tread ribs shift side to side or twist even very slightly as a tire rotates the belt is probably shifted or separated from the tire carcas.

FYI, TIS specifies mounted tire runout maximum:
1.3 mm axial (side to side across the car)
1.1 mm radial (center of wheel to tread)

Wheel runout specs are 0.3 mm maximum axial and radial.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM

I got under the car today I notcied the driver strut L isn't positioned above the pinch bolt as the R is positioned on the right strut