Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Is Engine Failsafe Prog related to lights

Hi, I am now an owner of a 2000 540i. After driving it home, it will not shift out of Park and displays:
Engine Failsafe Prog
Check Licplate Light
Check Rear Lights

The help I want is to know if the warnings related or separate?
I am reading up on posts about Engine Failsafe Prog, but have not yet found if they can be related to other warnings. I know the ABS is not functioning and the PO said it is the right front wheel sensor. (But there could be lots of other things wrong too.)

This morning the message was about the brake lights. None turn on. I found the center brake light was melted into its socket so got it out and with the dremel and knife was able to put one of the parking lights into the socket. I checked fuse 41 and it is good. They still don't turn on, but I don't know if that is related to the Failsafe.
I know I need a license plate light (one of two) and rear lights (one of four).

Hard to drive to the auto parts store or dealer to read the codes if I can't drive it.
I will read up on forum posts about the Failsafe.
Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 1997 528i
Have you had the OBD codes read. Your check engine light is on for some reason but not because of the brake lights problem. A bad wheel speed sensor can cause the trans failsafe to trigger. It's usually one of the front wheel speed sensor.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Hi alex5er, I have not had the code read. Hard to make it to the parts store or dealer when the transmission is locked. I will try to find a way, and read up on the other posts.
I got the brake and license plate lights replaced so now those messages are gone. So at least I know the messages are not related.
I knew that the ABS and dsc were out due to a sensor, but it was driving fine. Now I've got some reading to do.
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Dunno, but I typed /engine failsafe in the bestlinks and these came up, which might help.

- How to diagnose the E39 engine failsafe prog cluster error message (1) (2) (3) (4)
Old 11-09-2014, 10:19 PM

Hi bluebee, thanks for the links. I had read those before and did not match the behavior of my car.
P1525 - Camshaft Position Actuator Control Open Circuit (Bank 1).
I will trace the electrical lines when it is light outside. The car sat for over a year in the PO's back yard. Covered but still moisture problems.

This post is useful and gives me some ideas for what to look at next.
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ircuit-(Bank-1)
Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 PM

Here is pic. I am most interested in getting it to drive so I can move it and could get a bmw shop to diagnose. I have read some posts describing fixing a reported problem only to find the real problem is something else.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1415597075.502240.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	475215
Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Maybe found the problem, or at least one problem. PO had car in back yard covered and some kind of furry creature was under the hood. I will solder these wires and hopefully that will help a bit.
Broken blue wire next to oil dipstick.
Broken purple and bright red wire leading to air intake.
Broken green wire leading from upper cylinder (maybe vanos)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1415652455.368488.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	475269Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1415652468.657112.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	475270
Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 PM

After soldering the camshaft position sensor wire for bank 1 (which matches P1525), I read that I could unhook the battery for 20 minutes to reset the codes. Now I get no codes reported.

I still cannot shift out of park. My hypothesis is that the switch for the brake pedal is no longer working. That would explain why the brake lights do not go on when I press on the brakes.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM

I took out the brake light switch, part 8 372 647. It has four plugs and I don't know how to test it. But when I plugged it back in and left hanging, the transmission was able to shift into Park. Still no brake lights but at least I can move the car, which was a big problem.
I ordered an ODB to USB cable so I can run INPA.