Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 AM
upgraded to a 2010 535i n

Mein Auto: E60 535i 2010
E60 535i eibach springs issues?

I am about to buy some springs for my car and I know that eibach has the smoothest ride. Now I know that Eibach does not make a spring for the 2010 535i.

They claim that the car is much heavier in the front.

My question is has anyone installed these and had problems?
Has anyone installed them and loved or hated them?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
base on 5 xxxxxx.net discussion. the ride is extremely rough when you only upgrade the springs only(bouncy ride). i guess puking in the ride is little exaggerated (remember our racing TEIN coilover from the JDM days)but we are talking the ride on a 5 series. it all depends on the level of your tolerance on the rough road condition. have fun modding.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead2267 View Post
base on 5 xxxxxx.net discussion. the ride is extremely rough when you only upgrade the springs only(bouncy ride). i guess puking in the ride is little exaggerated (remember our racing TEIN coilover from the JDM days)but we are talking the ride on a 5 series. it all depends on the level of your tolerance on the rough road condition. have fun modding.
Well I have the sports package, I was hoping that the eibach springs wouldn't be bouncy
Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Is it an Xdrive or RWD? If the latter then you can add Eibach or H&R Sport springs. But they will lower the car 3/4" (for 535i Sport, and 1.5" for 535i standard) and will overstress your stock shocks. To get a proper suspension you would also replace the shocks with Bilstein HDs or Koni FSDs to match the new ride height and rebound profile.

If it is an Xdrive then only KW V3 coil overs will work for that car.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
since you are located southern US. i would assume you have RWD. If so, you will tons of options and take my advice. do the work at once with shocks.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
I would not recommend that you install springs that aren't made for for your car specifically. The spring rates are made specifically for each vehicle application. Vehicle suspension is something that I'm extremely passionate about. Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Rather than doing a shock/spring combo, have you considered going with a coilover system? You get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I'd recommend that you check out the ST Coilovers by KW Suspension. Coming from the makers of KW suspension systems the only main difference between the ST Variant 1 and KW Variant 1 is the steel they use. While KW uses Stainless Steel for their shock housing, ST uses Galvanized Steel. However, this does not mean a drop in quality, durability, or appearance. Although coilovers that use galvanized steel are more prone to corrosion due to environmental influences (i.e. mixture of salt water); those in the lower states: California, Texas, Florida, Nevada, etc. don't have to worry about corrosion. Those in the mid to upper States that snow still don't have much to worry about as long as they do not drive in heavy snow conditions upon where salt is used on roads. to further ensure those with doubt about Galvanized Steel, ST has corrosion resistant zinc plating on all of their threaded strut housings for further protection.

The ST V1 coilovers will give you the ability to adjust the height of your car with pre-set damping from the engineers at KW. This is perfect for an everyday driver and does still maintain a ride quality that is similar to the OEM Sport Suspension. It's slightly stiffer and will definitely give you more responsiveness on turns as compared to the OEM setup.

Lowering
Front Lowering: 1.0" to 2.2"
Rear Lowering: 1.0" to 2.2"

I can also get you a pretty good deal on the ST V1 coilovers which will probably be around a similar price point to a spring/shock combo. I'll drop you a pm with more details!
Remus Exhaust | HRE FlowForm
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
+1
I agree with Alan.
Coil overs are not cheap, but the difference in ride quality and control is significant.
A spring and shock combo will run around 900-$1,000. Coilovers start at around $1,000 and up. KW V3s are $2,200-2,600.
Like the man said you get what you pay for. Labor is same cost either way.

I am very happy with my H&R Sports with Koni FSD. But for an extra $1,000 I could have had KW V2 or Bilstein PSS 10 coilovers. There is no doubt that they represent another step up.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 AM

Alan,

I appreciate the responses, I will call you later today to see about the correct setup. I am leaning towards the spring and shock setup mainly becasue of money, but maybe "a great deal" can sway be towards a coilover system again.

I had a 530xi before this one and I installed H&R springs with Billstein HD shocks, way to harsh of a ride, eneded up going with K&W V3. Still hurting on that price tag.