Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to tarf
Mein Auto: 2009 E90, 2008 RX350
Brief Trip Report – Oct. – Nov. ED pick up

Sorry for violating the 12 hour compliance rule but better late than never so here are the details.

My wife and I departed Pittsburgh on October 16th on US Airways to Munich (through PHL) and arrived in Munich at about 8 AM the next morning. Took the S8 to the main train station and made the short walk to the Maritim hotel which I got on Priceline for $67 per night ($229 for 3 nights including taxes and fees). My room was not be ready until mid-afternoon so we left our bags at the hotel and took subway to the Welt. We were not picking our car up until three days later (October 20th) but they checked us in and allowed us to use the lounge at the Welt. We returned to the hotel mid-afternoon and checked into the room. The hotel was very convenient since we could walk to most of the sights in Munich and take the subway from the main station when it fit our needs. For the next three days, we divided our time between touring around Munich and touring the Welt, BMW museum and factory. We picked up our 528xi on the morning of Saturday, the 20th so we arrived about 8 AM for a 9 AM pickup. Our big mistake was not realizing that on Saturday and Sunday there were lots of festivities planned at the Welt because it was their 5th anniversary but our plans were already set in stone so we couldn’t stay. The pick up took a little over an hour and then we immediately got on the road and drove to Bondeno, Italy (a small town about 10 miles from Ferrara). My cousin has one of his houses there so we spent the first night there.

The next day we checked into our hotel in Ferrara for a one week stay. The hotel was the Hotel Touring which I have stayed at a number of times before. The hotel is located right in the center of Ferrara so it very convenient to the sights of Ferrara. There’s a 25% discount if you reserve 40 days in advance (you can cancel without penalty) so the cost was only 44 Euro per night. I think that an on-street parking permit costs 2 or 3 euros per night but I opted for the hotel parking garage for 9 euros per night. The garage was about 100 meters from the hotel and was new and great for a large car. The ramps and spaces were large and there was no problem parking a 5 series.

Ferrara is a good town to stay in because it is easy to travel to Venice, Bologna, Florence and many other nice Italian cities either by driving or by train. My family is from there so it’s a natural place to stay for me. We got to see a number of nearby cities during the week and the only mishap of the trip was when I drove to Milan and the parking garage was too small to navigate with a 5 series. I scraped one of the rims on a curb while descending the very narrow ramp to the lower levels of the garage. It was later repaired (or replaced) so no problem. We were going to stay 4 nights in Bologna were my other cousin lives. But she was leaving for a trip to Hong Kong (we got to see here while staying in Ferrara) so we opted to return to my cousin’s house in Bondeno for 4 nights.

We left to return to Munich on November 1st and stayed at the Moevenpick Hotel near the airport for one night ($63 including taxes and fees on Priceline). The next morning (November 2nd), we dropped off the car at the airport. We stopped first at the AGIP car wash at the airport. It was somewhat difficult to locate the drop off location at the airport. The GPS took us to a point close to the drop off and I had to get out of the car and look around for it. I should have pulled forward about 50 feet more and made a right but it wasn’t marked very well. We then took a US Airways flight to Pittsburgh through PHL.

My vehicle was loaded on the vessel Porgy in Bremerhaven on November 14th, arrived in New Jersey on November 29th, released from customs on December 3rd, and arrived at the dealership on December 10th. I picked it up the next day on December 11th.

I dealt with Bobby Rahal BMW near Pittsburgh. I was extremely happy with this dealership. I had bought 2 BMW’s before this one from other dealerships and this was my best experience. I told them exactly what I wanted (pricewise and otherwise) and they gave me exactly what I wanted and it was a very competitive price. The process and paperwork went flawlessly. They kept me informed at every step of the process (although I was already pretty well informed by doing my own research on this board). I dealt with Dwight Woodside and I will definitely work with him on my next purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	352952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2970.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	352953  

Last edited by tarf; 12-12-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Advertisement