Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Unusual noise in driver door

My wife has a black 2006and E 53 3.0 with 79,000 miles. She loves this car. She has made two modifications to it. One was to rebadge it with the carbon fiber BMW style badges on the hood trunk and wheels. The other modification was the smoke European-style taillights.
It has started making a noise when lowering the driver's-side window that sounds like something hitting against the glass . Just as you start to open it. It started making this noise when the temperature is below 75F.
Has anyone out there heard of this issue, before I pull the door panel?
My ride is a 2002 330 CI.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0i
Can you describe the sound?

Is the noise a single 'thunk' or a repetitive sound as the window travels down? It sounds like you could have a problem with the regulator.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Cool unusual noise in drivers door

Thanks for your reply,
after viewing the video on how to remove the door panel I realized that the only thing that could probably be making this noise is a malfunctioning window regulator.
The noise that makes is right-when you start to lower the window. It sounds like one of the bolts that holds the window to the regulator might be loose.
After viewing the video. The noise could be a struggling regulator trying to start the downward motion of the window, and it may be jumping out of the gear.
After speaking to my BMW guru. He also felt it could be the regulator. So here's my plan
1. Order new regulator
2. When I get it . I will remove the door panel.
3. Check to see that the bolts are tight and if they are
4. Replace the window regulator.
Just in time for Christmas.
James
If you have any more input I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks
Rhinos57
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0i
It sounds like you have it figured out. I've replaced a couple of regulators (in non BMW's). Definitely check the tightness of the fasteners where the regulator attaches to the glass, but in my experience there are usually some plastic components in the regulator assembly, and these wear out.

Good Luck!