Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 318iS
Yet another EML + ASC Light Question...

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1992 535i. It has the 5 speed Getrag, as well as the dreaded 'Drive by Wire' (Elektronische Motorleistungsregelung).

I purchased the car knowing it had the EML issue, thinking following a few different guides (can't post links because I am 'new') on cleaning the TB would solve the issue.

Originally the TB wasn't returning to close fluidly, so I followed the guide, as well as got to the internal gearing and lubricated everything.
Perfect, the TB now opens and closes fluidly.

I reinstall everything, and as per the PDF I remove the negative for a few hours, and then followed the 5000rpm three times and idle.

EML Light is still on, as well as the ASC light will kick on after a minute to a couple minutes.

Is there any other solution/direction I should be leaning towards to fix this issue?
The car still has issues like; surging idle, when cruising at a fixed speed the car pulses and accelerates a few MPH, then lets off. (Think like hitting accel button when using cruise control)
As well as just a lack of power in the top end; above ~4k

I really appreciate any pointers, as I've reached the depths of what google search had to offer me.
Advertisement