Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
If you're searching for a vacuum leak, you might want to check out this post where Blubee put together a smoke machine.
Thanks,checked over car and did the following;
Noticed oil marks around cam cover to ccv pipe,replaced o rings,pipe was good otherwise,
Found loose clamp on icv pipe fixed,
Checked inlet manifold bolts.
My CCV (genuine) was replaced a year ago as well as the hoses.,spark plugs NGK a few days back.
Test drove the car and the miss has gone more to a splutter or hestation,now I'am dismissing a coil pack and thinking its a plug cap?

May do cam cover gasket today??
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM

Sorry for the slow response and the confusion about the o2 sensors and feel embarrased as I did find them.
In my defence they were way back and down on the manifolds
Car has been parked up as it took a month to just find replacement sensors and i did find them,my car has differant ones to the US models as they are the long wire types which I finally found were the same as the rear ones used on US models,remembering my car only has front ones.
Found Denso (NGK ?) type, got the old ones out after lying over the engine and some skin off in the process,car purred like a kitten then promply ran like a bag off sh#t the next day.
Wasn't happy ,found dead coilpack on #4 so the car was parked up again,had a friend run a a scan and confirmed on a misfire on #4,car running fine now after so long,what is it with these Bremi coils?????
Basically we have had enough and its up for sale ,funny thing is its running the best for a long time'',thems the breaks''.
Thanks guys for your help
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Thanks for the follow-up. The lack of oxygen sensors had me stumped.

I think you should keep it. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the follow-up. The lack of oxygen sensors had me stumped.

I think you should keep it. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
Thanks for your help past and present,some devils cost less to run and maintain I know what you are saying and the car has plenty of life left,I have my reasons beside that,parts cost being one of them and we need to down scale to a smaller car,both siblings have cars and Mums sizeable taxi has less practicle use now.
Don't get me wrong I still like BMW's (have owned 4 ) but a member of the VW group has joined the stable and I pick it up this coming Saturday.
Have noted the fuel consumption meter is slowly dropping back to when we first bought the car and it is runs great still.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM

That sounds like a reasonable decision. Best of luck with the new car.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Car is running the best in years ,fuel down to 9L/100kms lowest ever,I think the o2 sensors have been on the wayout for sometime.
Next up is rocker cover gasket and clean out dipstick tube.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM

As the oxygen sensors age, their response slows. Somehow that seems to affect performance and fuel economy. I haven't thought that through yet.

BTW, I used a Reinz valve cover gasket. It lasted about 9 months before it hardened and leaked. I replaced it with a BMW gasket which seems to be better quality. OTOH, if you're just getting it ready to sell, you may find a cheaper set will work.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks again,have the Victor Reinz gasket I purchased awhile back so thats what will be going in,interesting as there isn't a great differance in price ,maybe the reinz gasket is the wrong composition.
Was going to do vanos but may not now,have seal kit anyway I deside.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM

I replyed too soon, car was running fine until today when it ran out of fuel,have done all the repairs to tank level sensors and replacement pump and the fuel gauge reads 15 litres left and it dies,got on level ground and tried 2 restarts and nothing, heard the fuel pump working hard,tried again and we are up and running.
Top up with fuel and the gauge reads exactly the amount we put in ,cars running great again.
I now hate this car with a passion,its been well looked before we purchased it and during our ownership,how can I sell this car on now when it keeps crapping out
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: '01 530iM, '00 528iTM
Unlock OBC and check level in EACH tank. Car uses a "sucking jet pump", in eductor in technical speak, to transfer fuel between (2) tanks using recirculated fuel. In a recent thread here somewhere, perhaps the "other" forum, bad fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump or leakage inside tank can prevent this transfer.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks yes you are right,have been thru the whole intank pump nightmare and thought it was over.
Had the following issues;
Broken rubber pump supports
Failed wire connections on pump x 2
Faulty RH side level sensor.

I had to replace the pump in the end because my attemps to make rubber tank supports failed and they aren't sold as a replacement part.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Interesting. My fuel gauge started acting up a couple of weeks ago. This week I added 11 gallons when the gauge indicated it was 1/4 full. The gauge went to full. I started test 6 on the OBC and found the right side reading 310 liters. The left side was jumping around.

At this point, I assume that I'll be replacing the left sensor. I wonder if my pump mounts are broken, too.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Interesting. My fuel gauge started acting up a couple of weeks ago. This week I added 11 gallons when the gauge indicated it was 1/4 full. The gauge went to full. I started test 6 on the OBC and found the right side reading 310 liters. The left side was jumping around.

At this point, I assume that I'll be replacing the left sensor. I wonder if my pump mounts are broken, too.
When our car stopped on level ground we had previously been up a steep hill and roung several sweeping bends,Iam assuming the fuel had all gone to the LH side tank causing the pump to run dry??
The fuel before the car stopped was 15 litres on the gauge ,upon restarting it was 2 or 3 so that indicates a problem for starters.
Would I be correct in saying the LH sensor helps maintain equal level betwwen the tanks and the RH side reads that level for the gauge or do they work together ?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 AM

Car drove fine today ,put fuel in as a measured amount,gauge responded straight away to the amount I had worked out,but I'am suspect of leaving home with a small amount and finding after 15mins driving I have up to 25% more
Had the codes read and it doesn't look good,
001 service interval display
002 fuel- level sensor (fuel pump)
003 egs signal disturbed
004 speed signal from engine control module
005 road speed signal (speedo)
Can anyone help me on this I have a bad feeling the instrument cluster is dying
I think I hate this car more is that possible