Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > California

California

Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: In search of BMW
Sales rep recommendations? (bay area)

Hey! I need a new car, and I would like to buy a gently used 5-series, and want to find a sales person who can earn his or her keep by making the process easy.

I thought I would very carefully buy a private party car, but I am realizing the vast majority of these cars are leased and go back to the dealer, the next largest segment are salvage and problem cars, and finally the theoretical 50k mileage car from the original owner.

So I am thinking at CPO cars. And the reps I have spoken to just seem to be on the wrong planet. Not dishonest, just flakey. And yet I feel like a dick calling sales manager and asking for someone else.

That said: Anyone have a sales consultant in the SF Bay Area (sf, east bay, north bay, upper peninsula) they would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Hanzie
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i
I kind of went through the same thing you are but eventually had to endure the silliness of these salesmen. Ultimately when it comes down to putting together a deal, I asked the salesman to invite his manager out for a face to face. I figured instead of dealing with a back and forth, let me deal with the decision maker and get a deal done direct.

so in my instance, I only endured the salesman for the test drive and requisite small talk for about 30 minutes. The dealt directly with the manager thereafter. I decided to go this route when I found the vehicle that I wanted to buy. Prior to this I'd gone to three dealerships - Hansel up in Santa Rosa, Sonnen in Marin and Autowest in Roseville. Sonnen had the best salesperson (except I forgot HER name already) but she was on her game fairly well.

Good luck though - even though I avoided financing when I purchased my vehicle, it was still a arduous process. After your test drives, you can pretty much avoid the salesman though if you ask to work directly with the manager or GM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xDrive35d
Try Zari S @Mountain View BMW. She's pretty low on the pushy bit, lets you take your time taking cars out on test drives and just give her your bottomline price to work with. After negotiating, still managed to get some all weather mats thrown in as part of the deal. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: In search of BMW
Thank you both. Unfortunately Mtview is a bit afield but she sounds my speed.

I ended up asking around of a few friends with BMWs. None liked their reps, but one knew a guy socially who is a rep and a good guy. I haven't gone in yet, but on our short call he was great, quite different from the other folks I had talked to. Partly due to the social connection, I presume, and partly due to the fact that he deals mostly with repeat buyers. I will share more later.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xDrive35d
Who did you end up using and how was your experience overall?