Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci convertible
Question Coolant light on when heat comes on, and heat not working - Not overheating

Hello,

I could use some help with an issue I just started having. I was driving a few days ago and all of a sudden my coolant light comes on in my 2006 330ci convertible (I have not done any work on the car recently). I assumed it was low on coolant (hence the coolant light coming on), but when I opened the cap, it didn't seem to be low. I topped it off just a little with BMW coolant and replaced the cap, hoping this would work. At first, I thought it did because the coolant light went off. However, I was wrong because as soon as the heat is turned on, the light comes back on, the heat works for a couple of minutes, and then very little heat comes out.

I have done quite a bit of research on this in the past few days, and have found a myriad of answers to my problem, ranging from replacing the whole engine to bleeding the cooling system.

My question is, has anyone had this exact issue (I have found similar issues but not with the trifecta of coolant light, heat on, and no heat, that I am experiencing) I believe bleeding the cooling system may be the problem based on my research, but I guess I am really writing mostly for some confirmation of that before I open up my hood and start messing around. I have been driving BMW's since 1997 and have never personally worked on the engine, and although I have some experience working on my 1968 Mustang engine, the BMW engine with all its plastic covers make it look less like an engine I can work on and more like something I think I'll break if I even try.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Last edited by Greggles; 12-13-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Thermostat stuck open, perhaps? That would keep the engine cool but might make it difficult to get warm air. Happened to my dad's E36 in the winter time before.

That wouldn't explain the low coolant light though, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Thermostat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
^^^what they said.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
If you're replacing the Tstat, depending on mileage, might want to consider replacing the housing too, which is a common place to develop a leak. If you do it yourself, definitely worth it. If the indy/dealer does it, I would at least get a quote for both and consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks all for the input. I will definitely bring it to my mechanic to at least get a quote on the thermostat.

That being said, do you think it's even worth trying to bleed the cooling system first to see if that helps, or scratch that and see what the mechanic says about the thermostat? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
Having a similar issue on my 06 550i. Coolant light came on, topped off coolant, light goes off and stays off, no warm air on the DRIVERS side only - passenger side is hot. No clue what could cause this though... No answers as of yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Hi all. I appreciate all the help you guys offered, and wanted to come back and let you know what the issue was.

I tried bleeding the cooling system (per youtube video instructions), and the coolant light stayed off for around a half hour with the heat on, but then it returned. At this point, I thought I'd bring it to my mechanic for some professional help, and it turns out I had a loose fitting somewhere which was causing a slow leak (which sped up quite a bit when the heat was on).

Either way, I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious, and my car is now working as good as new. I'm not sure why this affected the heat production, but he says the thermostat is working fine, so crossing my fingers that it doesn't get stuck next