Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW Z4
Can't reset air bag light

In changing a faulty car battery - my air bag light came on afterward. If I have know this I would connect a power source before removing the battery for replacement. My friend have a repair shop so I took it to him. He use a two expensive reset tool one cost $5K and the other $2K (one specifically just for BMW code reset) the tool zeroed in the specific for 2004 Z4 E85 etc to erase air bag light - indicated air bag was reset. But it did not, just won,t erase the air bag light. It should have erase the air bag light and if comes back on this could indicate fault is the air bag system, but it just won't erase it. My friend (shop owner) think it might have a faulty vehicle main computer that will not response to erasing the air bag light code...

Would appreciate any info/response to the above problem I encountered

Thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
The 2004 Z4 was known to have a faulty seat sensor in the passenger seat. I had mine replaced under warranty. You may want to check into that.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Will either one of his tools pull the air bag codes?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
Air bag light will on reset if you fix the cause of the light. You need to get the codes and work on the specific issue before reset will work.

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW Z4
Thanks for the replies - 1. bten, I will check into the warrantee of the faulty passenger air bag sensor. 2. SUNZOUT, are you positive that air bag light can be reset only when fault is corrected ?(which does make sense).... I thought and my friend that owned a general auto repair shop commented one should be able to reset the air bag light then if it comes right back then there is a fault in the air bag system, that is why he think something wrong with my vehicle computer.....We have the wrong assumption then. I really didn't think I have real air bag problem cause it happen when I change out the battery, now I am not sure. I guess my next approach is to see if I can pull the air bag trouble code (my cheap OBD2 does not read or acknowledge the air bag code) .... might have to go to a BMW shop to deal with this air bag light issue.

Thanks to all that responded

Last edited by johnkwei; 12-14-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
0b2 will not read air bag codes. You can either buy a airbag code reader or take it to the dealer. I think the dealer charges 65 dollars to read the faults.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: '97 Z3
I bought the jumper from England ( goes under the passenger seat) and the code scanner from China. The two together work. The time lag in shipping is a killer. I wanted over two weeks for the scanner. If you can find one in the states it would be much better. ic