Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i, premium, sports
Rearview mirror compass blinking!!!!

Hi,

Was driving on I-5 to LA and was on cruise control around 11pm. Out of nowhere the compass characters 'SW' started blinking a bright red. I don't know what it is! I slammed on my brakes and the blinking stopped. 20 mins later I was back on cruise and it started blinking again!

Anyone encountered this? What was the blinking for?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
I’ve seen just a few scattered reports of this. It appears to be a temporary loss of signal to the digital compass. If it is displaying directions incorrectly, you may need to calibrate it. If it’s back to normal, you may never see it again and I would forget about it. Some of us have had our iDrive reboot by itself once or maybe twice.

Chalk it up to another BMW electrical gremlin, high power lines, sunspots, UFO, warp in space, etc…
Now if you had looked in the mirror while it was blinking and saw Rod Serling in your back seat…
Old 09-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Were there any crop circles nearby?

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
I've had this happen a few times. I think the display has 2 brightness levels (bright for daylight, dim for night), and therefore a light sensor. In certain lighting conditions the sensor gets confused and switches between bright and dim. Goes away after a few seconds when the surrounding light changes.

Of course I might be wrong, in which case I'll go with UFOs and/or gremlins.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i, premium, sports

I think I will go with the UFO theory too!

Thanks everyone for responding. For a moment I thought my car was gonna blow up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerfsBimmer View Post
I’ve seen just a few scattered reports of this. It appears to be a temporary loss of signal to the digital compass. If it is displaying directions incorrectly, you may need to calibrate it. If it’s back to normal, you may never see it again and I would forget about it. Some of us have had our iDrive reboot by itself once or maybe twice.

Chalk it up to another BMW electrical gremlin, high power lines, sunspots, UFO, warp in space, etc…
Now if you had looked in the mirror while it was blinking and saw Rod Serling in your back seat…
Old 05-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Maybe not a UFO

My mirror compass did this for the first time last night. It stopped after the state trooper that was following me went by. Maybe it's not a UFO. I wonder if it has something to do with the preemption traffic signal system that many emergency vehicles have. Just a guess.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
There's a procedure to recalibrate that compass.

Under the mirror there is a small opening you can stick a flat head into and press. Then you drive in a circle a couple times to calibrate it.

I'm not sure of the exact procedure but a quick google search should give you some hits

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I work close to where we use a lot of LIDAR and LADARs and can tell you that when it happened to me it was because they were shooting them. A lot of new cars have the same type of sensors and it seems to effect the mirror compass by blinking it a lot. That is what I noticed maybe something else but seems consistent when mine blinked like that...
Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
That's kinda odd. Laser and radar work through frequency waves.

Compasses traditionally use earth's magnetic field to show direction. Unless these cars are using some other technology to give compass readings, I don't see how radio waves can affect the compass.

Not saying it's not possible, it just doesn't make sense to me.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |