Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525IT
2002 525it engine knocking noise!!!

Hello everyone, I've always got very good help from forum ppl and
now I have a new issue with my 02 525it 88k with engine knocking noise !

I have researched and found some differential diagnose:
I've once got Misfire fault code when vehicle started to have knocking noise...
so I came up with following possiblities :
1. loose spark plugs 2. loose tensioner/pulley next to alternator 3. Vanos 4. valve itself ....

I've checked the tensioner but no movement, I 've checked loose plugs but none found
perhaps I did not know what I was supposed to look for on loose spark plugs because
it only been 5 months since I have changed all new plugs with NGK.

Now I have 2 more to go things to look for first one is VANOS, but many says vanos does not go bad that easily...??? Lastly, the Valve being loose ???

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Right now the ride of car is just FINE , but noise is very annoying sounds like driving old mercedes diesel ...
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 AM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon
Can you give more information. As far as the location of the noise. Is it at idle or only when accelerating. I know that when the vanos is making the noise is has a similar sound to the diesel you are talking about but it's more towards the from of the motor. Do you feel a loss in power. Does the motor seem to hesitate when you are accelerating and on cold mornings when the car is warming up does it feel like it bogs and surges? Answer most of these questions and we can get a pretty good idea on where to start.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Does it happen only with the engine running?

Sorry, I'm just in a strange mood this morning.
I'm wondering if the knocking noise is a separate problem from the misfire code.
Check the fan mounted on the water pump shaft. Perhaps it's starting to hit the shroud? This has been theorized to cause a lot of damage when the fan hit the shroud causing the blade to break off and hit the bottom of the hood, denting the bottom of the hood. Some people think this is related to motor mounts, so check those too.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Thank you dtadrian & vavet5308 for your reply

The location of knocking noise is coming from Front of Engine.

I dont' feel the loose of power n it doesn't heistate accelerating. Car does not bogs or surges.

The noise is consistent with driving mode and idle! seems though knocking noise is something like a rod hitting ?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbimmer View Post
Thank you dtadrian & vavet5308 for your reply

The location of knocking noise is coming from Front of Engine.

I dont' feel the loose of power n it doesn't heistate accelerating. Car does not bogs or surges.

The noise is consistent with driving mode and idle! seems though knocking noise is something like a rod hitting ?

http://beisansystems.com/procedures/..._procedure.htm

try here and see if this would help.. honestly in order to give you more ideas on the noise I would have to hear it my self because different parts of the motor will give different types of noises. since its coming from the front of the engine I would start here as an idea not a start for repair. I would take it to a reputable indy that works on bmw.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM

TO dtadrian,

thank you for info, I have video I took and want to send it to you. Can you give me your email address.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I have video
Just post it.
- How to post, shrink, modify, edit, annotate, merge, & upload pictures & videos for posting here (1)

See also:
- VANOS rattling noise video (1) (2)
- Water pump impeller noise video (1)
- Water pump bearing bearing noise video (1)
- Alternator bearing or pulley cold-idle noise video [went away with a belt-drive system overhaul] (1)
- Alternator clicking noise [went away with a new alternator] (1)
- Unknown noise video (oil pump bolts?) (1)
- DISA (DIfferenzierte SAuganlage - "Differential Air Intake") valve o-ring failure symptoms video (1)
- DISA (DIfferenzierte SAuganlage - "Differential Air Intake") rattles (1)
- Air conditioning compressor knocking sounds (1)
- Unknown noise videos (1)
etc.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM

Found the problem, Thank you bluebee
The noise is same exact as heard on Water pump impeller noise video.

Now is the fixing issue. I guess I need to replace the water pump impeller.

So how about going do this now.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
I guess I need to replace the water pump impeller.
Thousands of threads are on what to do when you have to replace any one component of the cooling system, so I'll just point you to this one thread to help you select the water pump brand:

- What brand of waterpump to buy (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need