Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Angry Parts is Parts? Don't believe it!

Think the BMW parts prices are just what they are? Guess again!

I needed to buy a replacement module module for the adaptive headlights. My local BMW Stealership quoted me about $241.00 for the part. I checked on-line and it was available from Tischer for $161, a good deal but I didn't want to wait for it.

I figured that I wouldn't mind paying a bit more and getting it locally. I was heading towards a different dealer and stopped in to get it there instead. Out came the part and the price was $342, for the same part (no not a mistake).

I walked out and started calling different dealers. Here is what I was quoted for this part from 5 dealers:
$341, $278, $241, $202, and $161 (on-line). How is that possible?

Well I went to the dealer that quoted me $202 and he had it in stock. Very nice fellow Mark, at Century West BMW, North Hollywood, CA. I discussed the various quotes I had gotten and asked if that was possible? He said Oh yea, I'll bet in Beverly Hills it's $400.00! WTF!

It seems that this part lists from BMW for about $202 but BMW dealers can charge whatever they want. Never in a million years would I have expected that!

I not only did I get the part for the $202 but he gave me a 10% discount BMWCCA on top of that.

Well it's buyer beware, so BEWARE! Don't assume the price is the price.

It's also a good way to gauge if they are gouging you for general service too. If they are way high on parts, they are way high on service!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I picked up a expansion tank last week for my 750, & the local dealer said MSRP was 145.00. I told him 2 other online dealers said the MSRP was 98.00. He said I can do that! I said their discounted price was 79.00. He said how much is their shipping, & I said 5.00. He said that I will match their price + shipping.

Do they think that we are stupid? I do not understand how BMW allows them to rip customers off like this? Of course, BMW never cares when we complain!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
Thanks for sharing the story. I have found that to be true. Unlike buying a Honda, Toyota, or Acura where pricing is fixed, BMW has no such policy. I live in the Northern Virginia area and the quotes are usually always on the Beverly Hills side. It's a real buzz kill and blemish on the BMW logo!

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM

I'd love to know if anyone on the board also has a Benz and if they have any experience with this problem with Mercedes.
Anyone?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
What is with these dealers...??!! I guess it all boils down to excessive capitalism takng advantage of the majority of their customers who probably don't bother to research online or even call around for a couple of quotes... I guess that's why I had to buy my CPO BMW three hours outside of Altanta to save around $6K, b/c the dealers in the Atlanta area weren't competitive...

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Larry_N
Mein Auto: 2005 645CI convertable
When I would get parts for my e36, I always went to Century West. The price there is always below everyone else, and the parts guys are the best.

Beyern 19's
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
I didn't know parts have that tragedy too. As when I search for getting CPO, Platinum one, my area price was:

SouthBay BMW: $3,800
Beverly Hills BMW : $3,600
Santa Monica BMW: $3,600
Pacific BMW: $3,400

(Price excluded tax)

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
I didn't know parts have that tragedy too. As when I search for getting CPO, Platinum one, my area price was:

SouthBay BMW: $3,800
Beverly Hills BMW : $3,600
Santa Monica BMW: $3,600
Pacific BMW: $3,400

(Price excluded tax)
Interesting, while they do differ, they are within 10% while the parts prices can be double. Wonder why. Maybe they think no one checks prices on parts. They may be right.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Coupe
In additon to the previous coments, I had the expirience of dealing with a "the cheapest part dealership" type of outfit; that quoted me a very good price compared to others, but when it came to the Shippping fee, it was an astounding $160.00 for a small piece of oem accesory. Indeed, they take us for fools that are made of money...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I have one dealer near me, and one farther away. When I went to do ED, the one near me wouldn't budge from full ED list price, saying any discount is already in the price. The other dealer did an invoice plus $500 deal for me.

I ripped off my little rubber chin spoiler, which is basically a big piece of rubber like a huge windshield wiper. The near guy wanted $150, the other guy wanted $79. Just for a rubber part.

There are huge differences between dealers.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
My two local dealerships always have different pricing on the same part numbers... I always check both (and Tischer BMW) before ordering parts... It shouldn't be this way, but it is. Pretty sad.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
List prices for all BMW dealers can be different, there is no real price control over it.
Next time you guys need something, call us up with a part number, see what we can do for you

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
$202 is an awesome price!! I'm having the same issue and my local dealer in Fremont CA quoted me $600!!! I ended up buying a used unit off eBay and paid for the overnight shipping ($20). Are you planning on installing this yourself? I'm in the same boat so any advice would be great.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanra View Post
$202 is an awesome price!! I'm having the same issue and my local dealer in Fremont CA quoted me $600!!! I ended up buying a used unit off eBay and paid for the overnight shipping ($20). Are you planning on installing this yourself? I'm in the same boat so any advice would be great.
Actually is was less since I got an additional 10% off from that. You can also order it online brand new from tischer for $161.00
I did the replacement myself. I had some help from a knowledgable friend and you have to remove the front bumper to get to it. Yes, really! There is a removal guide in the TIS. You will need 2 people to get it off. It only takes about 20 min to remove.
You also need to check the actual part number on the module, not just the part order number. Mine was different than the old one. We also had to code the module so it would recalibrate and align properly. There may also be some differences if it's left or right too. After that it was fine.
If you are replacing it due to a moisture issue, make sure that is corrected first.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Roseng. Did this happen because of your moisture issue?
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Those price differences are insane! We have seen some of this over time, what was the thread a while back, ended up being an $857 battery charge? They charged something like $5for the battery alone, my dealer charged $269 for an OEM battery.

Different service managers and franchise owners choose to handle things with their own profit agenda. Let's face it, I would have to think the majority of BMW owners don't work on their own cars, especially when you get to the 5/6/7 series level. So the dealers are not setup for competitive part supply, they typically charge that when someone brings a car in and it gets diagnosed with a failure. Then they tell the customer, it will be X amount. They say fix it and nobody the wiser that they just paid double the part cost. At that point they aren't willing to shop around to get the part, they just want the car fixed. I have friends who do that on everything...appliance repair, car repair, computer repair, etc.

Anyway, they are geared towards car repair, not part supply. And people will pay it, that is the shame.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Actually is was less since I got an additional 10% off from that. You can also order it online brand new from tischer for $161.00
I did the replacement myself. I had some help from a knowledgable friend and you have to remove the front bumper to get to it. Yes, really! There is a removal guide in the TIS. You will need 2 people to get it off. It only takes about 20 min to remove.
You also need to check the actual part number on the module, not just the part order number. Mine was different than the old one. We also had to code the module so it would recalibrate and align properly. There may also be some differences if it's left or right too. After that it was fine.
If you are replacing it due to a moisture issue, make sure that is corrected first.

Good luck.
Thanks what exactly did you do for coding? Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the coding process any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
Roseng. Did this happen because of your moisture issue?
Yes due to bad AR replacements. See this thread.

They were open in in the back for venting. Really a No No! I should have kept the ones I sent you.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
I figured. Sorry about that. I'll send them back.

Hope thing are straight for you now.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman View Post
I figured. Sorry about that. I'll send them back.

Hope thing are straight for you now.
Thanks for the offer
Got the replacements in and I'm sealing them first... What a PITA!