Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Tip

Mein Auto: 04 E66
Auto trunk Lift

Hi folks. I am having am issue with my auto truck (button) motor. It will not descend (close) every time I push the bottom it just open (go up)...any suggestion.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
I think the lack in responses is due to your question being vague. Do you mean your remote will only open your trunk, but not close it? Do you mean pressing the close button on the trunk won't close?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Tip

The latter, pushing the button will not close the trunk. The buttom and movement just works in one direction, open or up.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
only the button on the trunk will close it

you cannot close it from the interior

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Tip

Cool

Correct and its not working for closing.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
Maybe problem with one way signal....maybe the lifting motor only works one way. Maybe a new lifting mechanism/motor. If you are looking to change that mechanism - check for some help here: http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE65/D_Maletero.htm
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Tip

Do you mine translating the link?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerretto View Post
Do you mine translating the link?
use google translator

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
yeah, I have a google bar and clicked on translate.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Auto boot(trunk) lift

Hi,
If the boot lid goes up when you press the close button on the inside of the boot lid, its probably the HKL module thats faulty. Module is behind hinged panel on right hand side of boot area. I was able to repair mine by replacing one of the driver FETs on the module circuit board.

in the UK, this module is £300 and if you manage to get one in a scrapyard, it has to be recoded to the vehicle. Replacing the control devices saves this. You'll need a bit of experience of soldering and if you can use a multimeter its a plus. Let me know and I'll post how i repaired mine.

Cheers

Paul
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li 2006
i suggest that u check the hydrolic fluid of the trunk lid pump..if its low that might be the cause of it
Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Try removing the fuse for the automatic trunk lift for a minute. If that does not work, then try having the HKL reprogrammed; if that does not work, then replace the HKL module, as zintaruk mentioned.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Tip

Question

Where is the module located?

D) The trunk lid only moves in one direction.
When pressing the button to close the trunk lid, it tries to continue upwards after it has already been opened. In most cases,there will be a fault stored in HKL module.

CAUSE :
The module is defective.

CORRECTION :
61 35 6 980 008 HKL control module
Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Yes, if you have a angle error stored in that module it will only go in one direction until cleared.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Zintaruk, can you post how you troubleshot and fixed yours? ...specifically how you tracked down the problem piece. I'm not afraid to solder, just trying to learn electronics stuff from other people where possible, and I have a friend around here currently having HKL issues, so I have a good guinea pig. =]

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
HKL Module

Hi Everyone,

Copy of post i sent to 48Stude, who had similar problems

Regarding your problem with the auto-boot (trunk) lid module, here’s a brief summary of my findings.

Firstly, my boot lid would open automatically OK but when I hit the ‘close’ button, it would try and ‘open’ further then ‘time out’ – only then could it be closed manually.

As you probably already know, the control module is mounted in the right hand side of the boot behind the battery compartment door, its light grey in colour, marked HKL E65’ and is held with a single, 10mm, nylon nut.

Once unbolted, the unit can be disconnected by sliding the connector clamp to one side. The boot lid can still be opened or closed manually whilst the module is removed

To dismantle the module, carefully lever off the rear of unit by depressing plastic toggles, 2 either side (note: the ID label will split during this process)

The Printed Circuit Board (PCB) has its input connector attached and can be removed by applying pressure to connector with thumb, and squeezing the box along its longitudinal sides.

With the PCB removed and connector pointing uppermost, the processor is on the bottom right and 2 large capacitors are on the bottom left. The 4, 7 pin devices immediately below the input connector control the hydraulic pump motor.

From left to right, these devices should be marked BTS282Z, BTS650P, BTS650P and BTS282Z

These devices are described as
BTS282Z – TempFET and,
BTS650P – Smart Highside High Current Switch

They are both basically FET’s with additional internal control electronics

With the metal tabs uppermost, the device pin numbers are 1 on the left and 7 on the right

In the configuration on the HKL Module, on the BTS282z’s, pins 1,5,6 & 7 are shorted together and on the BTS650p’s, pins 1,2,6 & 7 are shorted together

Using a digital multimeter (DMM), set to ‘diode measurement range’, measure between pins 1 and 4 of each device in turn. Readings should be in excess of 200kohms, both directions (ie with DMM leads reversed), If you get a short - that device is probably faulty. In my case, the first BTS282Z on the left hand side of the board was shorted out.

When removing the device, its probably easier to cut the legs off the device using a scalpel or pair of miniature snips before trying to desolder them. This will prevent damage to the fine print on the PCB. Next thing is to apply heat to the tab of the device until it starts to move and lift it off with a pair of tweezers. The remaining ‘legs’ can then be carefully removed using the tweezers and iron. The devices (and the whole board) are covered with a protective lacquer which ‘burns off’ when heat is applied. Fitting the new device is relatively simple, just make sure the tab area of the PCB is fairly level, ie clean of solder before soldering. I soldered pins 1 & 7 first, to locate the device, then applied heat and solder to the tab until I could see the solder flow evenly around the device. The remaining pins can then be soldered .

I didn’t bother re-lacquering the board as its not really mounted in a ‘hostile environment’.

I was unable to source any of the devices in the UK. I bought them through www.utsource.net in China. I bought 5 of each as I thought I was going to have to replace all 4, plus a few spare in case it happened again! – so if you’re stuck, I can send you some. I think it was about $25.00 for the lot, including postage. Took about 3 weeks to arrive but the company is excellent, would definitely recommend them

All that was required was to refit the PCB and connect up – no vehicle reprogramming required.

I’m not sure what causes the devices to blow, the pump is not really running long enough for overheating to be a problem. I did notice however, that if someone pressed the ‘close’ button on the boot lid, whilst I started the car, the boot lid would ‘stall’ midway and had to be closed manually. Maybe a combination of the hydraulic pump running during the start cycle causes ‘spikes’ on the supply lines which can damage the FET’s. Now, I wait till the boot is fully closed before starting

Hope this helps – if you need any more info or photo’s, just email me

All the best

Paul
Belfast, N Ireland
’04 745i
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Trunk lid won't close with button

Hello,
How do I rese my hkl module on my e66 2004? Can someone help please.

My trunk lid opens from inside, button on lid, and remote. But when closing, it tries to go up for a second and then stops.

My hydronic lines are the updated ones, my hydronic pump and reservoir are fine.

Just the lid won't close except by hand.

Help
Thanks

Tony
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Its the trunk lid angle sensor. It thinks the trunk isn't fully open so when you push the button it trys to complete the trunk move to fully open.

It is NORMAL for the button on the trunk lid to, either open the trunk if it is not fully open or close it if the trunk is fully open.

Try re-adjusting the angle sensor before committing to any big expense

The button inside the car will only ever open the trunk.

You can close the trunk lid via your remote if you press and hold the trunk lid button on your remote continuously until the trunk lid is fully closed.

Last edited by AceFX; 07-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740d 2004
I'm having the exact same problem on my car where the trunk lid won't close when pressing the button in the lid. It will just try to open it again and then time out after a second.
I just ordered an HKL-module from ebay and will install that when it gets here. I'll keep you posted...

2004 BMW 740d
Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Banned

There are two electronic parts to the hydraulic trunk. The HKL which makes things go......which seems to be working in both your cars....and the angle position sensor.......which seems to be out of alignment in both your cars......

If the HKL was faulty.....the pump wouldn't go at all, and it works in relation to the info from the angle position sensor.

The angle position sensor is mechanically adjustable...... try adjusting its trim position.....they do go out of alignment.

I will be interested to hear the outcome guys....

Last edited by AceFX; 07-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM

E66 trunk lid won't close.

Thanks for the reply.
Can you please tell me where the angle adjustment is located.

Thank you

Antoine
Old 07-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Banned

Its on the right hand side just near the arm of the trunk and near the HKL module.

It is black.

You have to remove the Right Hand Side cover in the trunk to see it.

It is adjustable.

It is called the angle of rotation sensor (S236) and its connection plug is (X13664).

A good test to do is, with the trunk lid open, manually push as far open as you can, and then push the boot lid button, it should come down. It may be that your gas struts that lift the trunk lid are weak, and are not lifting the trunk lid fully open.

See my DIY on replacing the gas struts http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0271&highlight=

Last edited by AceFX; 07-16-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740d 2004
Thanks for the info Ace! Will try that as soon as it stops raining here!
Too bad I just ordered an HKL last night...

2004 BMW 740d
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM

trunk lid will not close

Thank you so very much.

I tried everything. I think your last guess is the answer.

while i was adjusting the sensor, i realized that the struts were the older style ones. I will order the struts and go from there. I will keep you updated.

thank you everyone.

tony
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Glad to help you romanostony