Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: Harley/Z4 3.0/Ram 1500
Windshield Cowling/Parts

I removed my windshield cowling today, it was rather simple. It took me about 30 min. I did not use a puller to remove the wiper arms. I tried to just yank them off but it was obvious they were seized onto the post I sprayed them with some WD-40 let it sit for a few min. took a claw hammer and pried upwards, they both popped right off. I really didn't care about the condition of the cowling, so after I removed the 4 plastic screws on the front side and the two clips for the wire bundles I just gave a couple of good yanks and it all came off. There is a good DIY on here that explains it pretty well.

I wanted to know if anyone has ordered parts from http://bmwpartsgiant.com. Did you have a good experience? I found all the parts to replace the cowling and the windshield seal for a VERY good price, about $50 less than every other site. Yes, they are all BMW OEM parts. Thanks in advance for the input.
Ads by Google
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Didn't get mine from BMWpartsgiant but mine was sold as OEM. It had the BMW logo molded onto it so I suppose it was genuine. How can one ever be sure?

But I found it very difficult to get the replacemnent installed. It was not shaped quite right and had to be pushed on (bent) very hard to make it fit and to get the plastic fasteners to line up with the holes. I almost gave up and was going to sent it back but persevered and finally torqued it enough to get it place and secured.

During the process I actually broke off two of the fasteners trying to get it out for a redo attempt. I had secured one end but had given up on that attempt and needed to get it out to try a different strategy. The fasteners are attached to the cowl with only a melted plastic "weld." I used my soldering iron to re-weld them.

I hope your job is easier than mine. I'd be interested to know if yours fits better than mine.

Last edited by ricknau; 12-15-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 Z4 2.5i Silver/Black
Hey Jim, check out the cowl refreshing kit at ECS Tunning($120) comes with everything(except gasket $20).
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-2.5i...L/Search/Cowl/
I like those guys, never done me wrong.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: Harley/Z4 3.0/Ram 1500
Did you use this kit? I did see it and considered it. But they did not list everything that came in the kit.