Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Mrs D has spent the last 45kmi getting 35+ mpgs and for the next 45kmi she plans to get 15mpgs. That should average out to 25mpgs, so that's just like driving a 335 for 90kmi, right?

As a side note, the US gas guzzler tax is applied on car purchases, but not trucks or SUVs.
Screw the gas guzzler tax - it's all about the section 179 depreciation - deduction !

Lol. X5 m5's are a key component of our agriculture infrastructure. Lol

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-06-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Lol I feel the same way about the f10 550xi.

The most drama free 0-60 runs in history. I love and I hate it but I love it more.

At least my m5 and 135 let you know they're pounding it out. lol.
So let me see if I understand how you use your vehicles:

M5 - Summer daily driver.
550xi - Winter daily driver.
135 - Weekend curve carver?

I'm trying to understand why you have this particular set of vehicles in your stable

-Corey
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
So let me see if I understand how you use your vehicles:

M5 - Summer daily driver.
550xi - Winter daily driver.
135 - Weekend curve carver?

I'm trying to understand why you have this particular set of vehicles in your stable

-Corey
The M5 was an impulse buy. I bought it off some NY Giant football player who took an almost 30,000 depreciation hit in a little over 7 months. And, it's sort of a "co-op" car with my kid brother. We're close so it works.

The 135 is supposed to be my wife's car but I love that thing so I drive it most of the time. I notice a lot of guys on these forums have their wives drive cars which are in reality the fun car for themselves lol.

We just got the f10 to replace an e90. My kids are getting bigger and frankly we just outgrew the 3 series. I really like this new 5, it's a spectacular car.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
We just got the f10 to replace an e90. My kids are getting bigger and frankly we just outgrew the 3 series. I really like this new 5, it's a spectacular car.
My 550xi is on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic right now!

Getting excited. Already very anxious.

Fun to hear another very positive review of the vehicle so I'm feeling like I made a good choice.

Now I just need to get my E60 sold.

-Corey
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
My 550xi is on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic right now!

Getting excited. Already very anxious.

Fun to hear another very positive review of the vehicle so I'm feeling like I made a good choice.

Now I just need to get my E60 sold.

-Corey
Congrats! I can say with confidence that you're going to enjoy it. It's an impressive car and I don't easily impress.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Hmmm.....

http://theenergycollective.com/cnune...-electric-cars
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/au...hway.html?_r=0
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
You clearly missed the fallout from this and the strong suggestions that the NYT article was bogus.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most...iar-test-drive

It does appear that the NYT article might have been driving to a predetermined outcome.

Time will tell whether it's Musk's evidence or Broder's story which is proven to be right. Based upon what I see, I feel the NYT were looking to create a story and made sure that they got one.

Other publications have since done the drive in the NYT article without incident.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
cor door sedan

Even there existing a perception that there is a risk of what happened to NYTimes is enough to damage the reputation of your product.

Musk knows this, which is why he exaggerated what NYTimes did by saying "high speed trip & long detours."

If two miles is considered a long detour and five miles per hour over the speed limit is considered high speed, then I will never buy a Tesla until they no longer are.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 02-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Data from the car, which Musk posted, shows that Broder was driving at more than 5 over the limit. As for the detour, given that the car was already showing 0 miles range, it's not an unreasonable conclusion to suspect that driving around in circles in a parking lot was an attempt by Broder to make the car run out of power.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM

I lol'd when I saw this the other day.

This story has it all: The NY Times demonstrating that it has become reactionary; looking to take the popular kid down a notch or two.

An immovable object meets an unstopable force. Boom. Mr. Musk the wunderkind exposing his fragile ego and paper thin skin for all the world to see.

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-16-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:35 PM

I hope Tesla makes it.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix, 2007 530xiT
Quote:
The NY Times demonstrating that it has become reactionary; looking to take the popular kid down a notch or two.

An immovable object meets an unstopable force. Boom. Mr. Musk the wunderkind exposing his fragile ego and paper thin skin for all the world to see.
I am not sure this demonstrates that NYT is becoming reactionary. If anything, given the Times' bias, I would have expected the coverage to be slanted the other way.

I agree about Musk, he also sued Top Gear for libel when they reviewed the Tesla roadster.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Even there existing a perception that there is a risk of what happened to NYTimes is enough to damage the reputation of your product.

Musk knows this, which is why he exaggerated what NYTimes did by saying "high speed trip & long detours."

If two miles is considered a long detour and five miles per hour over the speed limit is considered high speed, then I will never buy a Tesla until they no longer are.
Exactly.... I totally agree.... I know media can totally do unfair damage and undo years of progress in a blink. It sure must have made Tesla makers red-hot from anger... I can only imagine what they felt when that stuff came out.

BUT, this is precisely the point, doing 5mph over the limit is nothing (70 mph??? That is a mere 112 kmh, give me a break!). If one tried to use Tesla in a more reasonable driving manner (rather than crawling and falling asleep at 65mph - for Pete's sake, the car does 0-60 in how many seconds again?) in those states which actually recognize scientific speed-limit setting theories (85th percentile, for example), they would quickly realize that if Tesla was driven at around 80 mph which is the most appropriate freeway speed and globally recognized as such, the result would be dire and exactly as described in the aforementioned article.

Plus, who the heck wants to wait for an hour for full recharge? Come on. Tesla maybe a fabulous (yet expensive) car for around-town driving, I don't doubt this for a split second, but this article, however ill-intentioned, proved only one thing: this could happen to you quite likely sooner or later on a typical road trip....
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM

I am not bashing Tesla here, again... it's probably a stunning car for around-town trips if you can afford one, but if these conditions are to be met to get anywhere close to the advertised range..... (new battery pack....? What? As in, a new $8000-battery pack?)... then we must be joking here and bow our heads to the NYTimes' article....

From Tesla's web site:

Vehicle speed is by far the largest variable in the range you can achieve. In order to help customers plan and predict this we will share a computer model used to simulate how far a Model S is predicted to travel under the following conditions:

Constant speed (such as using cruise control)
Flat ground, no wind
Climate control OFF or using vent only (no heat or air conditioning)
300 lbs of vehicle load (driver plus passenger or cargo)
Windows up, sunroof closed
Tires inflated to recommended pressures
New battery pack (<1 year, <25,000 miles)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Anyone have any guess what the resale value of an $80k Tesla will be in 8 years when in needs new $30k+ battery packs?

Nearly 30% of the car's value is batteries. What will people be willing to pay for old batteries?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 AM

From Tesla's website:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mode...ency-and-range

If you drive 75 to 80 mph then the range is slightly over 200 miles. And that assumes only 300 lb load in the car, no wind, climate control off (wtf!!), constant speed (haha), flat ground and a new battery pack.

It is easy to see how the range can be 150 to 175 miles if you have 4 people in the car, loaded trunk, some wind, some hills, or you speed up or slow down in traffic, and a car that is 2 or 3 years old. Oh and if the ambient temperature happens to be outside the 65-75 degree range and you need to use heat or AC, forget about it.

NYT article is beginning to make more and more sense to me....
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
I hope Tesla makes it.
I hope they make it too but they won't. Until the all electric car can go 500 miles on a single charge and fully recharge in 10 minutes I won't be buying one and neither will 99% of Americans.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
Anyone have any guess what the resale value of an $80k Tesla will be in 8 years when in needs new $30k+ battery packs?

Nearly 30% of the car's value is batteries. What will people be willing to pay for old batteries?
I don't know. But an 8 year old 5 series is worth about 10k. So not much resale value left after 8 years however you look at it.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 AM

The car isn't for everyone - it's getting on for 100K in the best spec - but that's true for any car nudging six figures. Surprised to see so many Americans bashing a genuinely cutting edge car designed and built here in the US. Not often that an American car is a true game changer, and Tesla have done an incredible job with the Model S.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I think Tesla is making a mistake by reacting defensively on this type of criticism. The Model S is awesome for what it is no need to try to insist it's everything to everyone. Roadtrips is a weakness, no need to hide that. However it seems like an awesome commuter and a fantastic taxi / limo / company car. For now it's not a one car quiver. For that to happen we probably need standardized battery packs that can be swapped for charged packs quickly and easily at fuel stations. If Tesla and Nissan leaf becomes big successes other manufacturers will follow and the needed economy of scale will be there. But if Tesla continues to push the car as a do it all with these redicolous demands on how to drive it we will see one horror story after the other and hear from disgruntled neighbors, colleagues etc until the car risk dying which would be a pity. It's very innovative and cool.

Last edited by solstice; 02-17-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM

I agree completely.

Tesla is great for commuting and not practical for road trips. Tesla should just acknowledge that instead of constantly fighting it. Even a 150 mile range in hard driving is not too shabby.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
The car isn't for everyone - it's getting on for 100K in the best spec - but that's true for any car nudging six figures. Surprised to see so many Americans bashing a genuinely cutting edge car designed and built here in the US. Not often that an American car is a true game changer, and Tesla have done an incredible job with the Model S.
Agreed. I am only bashing the limitations of the current iteration but if they can be successful and iterate the thing eventually it will provide the 500 miles on 10 mins of charge people probably want.

I want them to succeed. Just being realistic about the immaturity of the technology.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
NY Times editor admits writer who test drove the Tesla screwed up...

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/19...-didnt-use-go/
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Interesting... yeah, I kind of thought the truth was somewhere in the middle, as usual.

BUT this does not change the fact that cruising on a state-of-the-art freeway in a luxurious 416HP vehicle at 55 or even 65 MPH is a joke, nothing more, nothing less. Tell Europeans you cruise at 90-100 kmh on some awesome freeways and they will laugh in your face (of course, even Americans do not drive that slowly - average speeds on most US freeways range from 75 to 80 mph). So, Tesla's speed assumptions would be more appropriate in the 40s when cars were not that comfortable at 50 mph+.

If Tesla was used at a more appropriate and widely-adopted-globally 80 MPH (give and take few mph) at which speed the driver gets to his destination well before the fatigue and complete bordom kick in, the range would drop to well below those 10% lost due to the cold weather. Turn on AC, have some fun accelerating at times, and the range dips to barely 100 miles. Tesla fails. End of story. (Their distance calculator does not even allow the electronic knob to be shifted past the pathetic 65mph, probably due to the devastating and shameful results). Why won't Tesla address these problems head-on? They've created an amazing car, no reason to hide from the facts.

Around town, however, Tesla = fab vehicle. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 5.02.36 PM.png
Views:	35
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	363139