Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I see several Model S daily around here. It's definately catching on fast for such a relatively expensive newcomer. I wish Tesla well and hope the cars will generate a good reliability and overall reputation as miles and years start to pile on. I will keep buying gazzers as long as they build them though.

Last edited by solstice; 05-19-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The $7500 federal tax rebate certainly helps. I am starting to see a lot more Tesla on the road here in the Northeast as well. Electric cars generally do not do well in the sub freezing temp. here in the Northeast due to the battery's lower efficiency in the cold weather.
Hilly terrains seem to be another element that curbs electric car ranges.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I was visiting L.A. for several days last week and in addition to the McClaren I saw on the streets in Santa Monica and the R8 and Aventator I viewed in Century City, I saw more Teslas, Panameras, and late model 6 Series cars than I could count. Count me among those admirers of Teslas...I've already purchased several shares of stock in that company.
I day traded shares all last week for some profits but didn't have the balls to keep holding at these lofty levels. Unfortunately that bit me on the a$$ when I had to keep buying at higher prices than I sold, as the stock relentlessly went up.

I really think that the stock could multiply in the thousand percentile regardless, IF this company goes where some mega-bulls are predicting.

Solar City is also looking to be a great investment. People have been wondering "will we have another Steve Jobs of our time". If that's gonna happen, it's Elon Musk.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Hilly terrains seem to be another element that curbs electric car ranges.
You forget that what goes up tends to come down. Anyone who has ever taken a hybrid to Tahoe will tell you that the mileage on the way back is off the charts.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
You forget that what goes up tends to come down. Anyone who has ever taken a hybrid to Tahoe will tell you that the mileage on the way back is off the charts.
As you know one needs to make it up there before coming down. In Tesla forum there are discussions about this, one Model S owner mentioned a 6% grade uphill burned 2.6 miles of range per mile of ascent, another quotes 6-8 additional miles per 1000 feet ascent(no science was quoted though). I think Lake Tahoe is 6000+ feet elevation, so maybe 50 miles extra(probably more) for the uphill? The drive around the lake is 70+ miles, and Bay Area to Tahoe is 200-250 miles dependent where you start, so it probably is cutting close for EPA 265-mile range without a recharge along the way(especially during winter).
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I really think that the stock could multiply in the thousand percentile regardless, IF this company goes where some mega-bulls are predicting.

Solar City is also looking to be a great investment. People have been wondering "will we have another Steve Jobs of our time". If that's gonna happen, it's Elon Musk.
To put things in perspective, right across the street of the Telsa plant was the brand new Solyndra headquarter which was finished shortly before it went bankrupt, that few blocks seem to have bad karma.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Tesla Model S - My first experience with a fully electric car

A

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app