Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Rear window parcel deck shelf rattle fixed!

Well today I took the plunge and ripped the inside of my F10 apart. I just could not take the rattle and clicking anymore I was getting from the parcel shelf area. I was really serprised how easy it was. What I found was the vent that sets right under the window was rubbing on the metal frame. After some electric and felt tape no more rattle. I took the car before to the dealer for this issue and they were so useless thay made it wrest. As I was taking the puller covers off I found the plastic clips broken from the dealer attempting to put it back together i also found that the covers were not sitting on the shelf right making it vibrate more. This is why you might want to think about taking you car to the dealer for a noise, they are not going to take the same care of you car as you would if they care at all!!!

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon
Prior: 2006 330xi Sadan | Alpine White/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav

Ads by Google
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Great to know!!
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Can you take a pic of where you added the tape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by playdrum View Post
Well today I took the plunge and ripped the inside of my F10 apart. I just could not take the rattle and clicking anymore I was getting from the parcel shelf area. I was really serprised how easy it was. What I found was the vent that sets right under the window was rubbing on the metal frame. After some electric and felt tape no more rattle. I took the car before to the dealer for this issue and they were so useless thay made it wrest. As I was taking the puller covers off I found the plastic clips broken from the dealer attempting to put it back together i also found that the covers were not sitting on the shelf right making it vibrate more. This is why you might want to think about taking you car to the dealer for a noise, they are not going to take the same care of you car as you would if they care at all!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Can you take a pic of where you added the tape?
I got so into taking it apart I forgot to take photos of the steps, if you are having the same issue I can give you details.

2013 535xi M-Sport | Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Hexagon Trim | Premium | Cold | Technology | Driver Assistance | Sport Transmission | Sport Seats | Premium hi-fi
Prior: 2011 535xi Sedan | Titanium Silver/Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sport Transmission | Sirius | PDC
Prior: 2009 528xi Sedan | Monaco Blue/Cream Leather | Premium | Cold | Nav | Sirius | Xenon

Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I got so into taking it apart I forgot to take photos of the steps, if you are having the same issue I can give you details.
PM me details.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535i x
snj: I'm having the same issue. Can you pm or post the removal process? Thanks...Kenny

2013 535 x M-Sport and stuff....
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I, too, have the same rattle. Any special tools required to remove the rear parcel panel? Please send PM with the details, thanks!

Previously owned:
'12 Audi TT
'06 Subaru WRX
'01 Audi S4
'02 Acura RSX-S
Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

To remove the shelf to access the vent follow the steps below.....

1. My car has split folding rear seats, With the seats folded down, Pull the seat pillars off on each side by exerting force with your hand about 6" down on the inside of the pillars.When the pillars come off, the retainer clip will still be attached to the car. Remove the retainer clips on both sides by pushing the inner clip down and withdrawing forward. Now re-attached the pillar clips to the reverse of the pillars for re-assembly later.

2. remove the plastic 'Airbag clips from the C quarter panel trim on both sides. A plastic spade should ideally be used for this to prevent damaging the plastic parts. If you don't have one, you could use a small screwdriver if you take care. Under the Airbag plastic clips are Torx screws. Remove those. Now remove the quarter panel trims by pulling them away from the car, they are held in with white plastic clips. The clips may come detached from the quarter trims, however they can be prised from the car and slotted back onto the trim panels easily enough.

3. Next to remove the parcel shelf. It is held in with several 'black clips' behind where the seats fold down. The black plastic clips come in two parts. To remove these clips you should remove the centre male part with a screwdriver, then the outer female part.

4. Be very careful when removing the shelf, the speakers are attached and you should have enough wire to lay the shelf were the seat back would go.

5. Now you should see the vent, this is held on by 5 bolts. Remove the bolts and the vent, you will now be able to see we're the vent makes contact with the metal fram of the car.

I used thin felt tape were the vent sits on the metal and electrical tape were the bolts attach the vent to the car. In fact I put tape everywhere to be sure. It was overkill but the rattling was driving my crazy!!! And I was not going to take the chance of missing something.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need me to expan on a step.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Thanks for the write up!!

It's primarily my aftermarket subwoofer causing my rear parcel shelf to rattle. I'm definitely going to perform this mod since I'm going to put a 15" driver in there shortly. I'll be using foam weather stripping since I have it laying around.

Previously owned:
'12 Audi TT
'06 Subaru WRX
'01 Audi S4
'02 Acura RSX-S
Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
To remove the shelf to access the vent follow the steps below.....

1. My car has split folding rear seats, With the seats folded down, Pull the seat pillars off on each side by exerting force with your hand about 6" down on the inside of the pillars.When the pillars come off, the retainer clip will still be attached to the car. Remove the retainer clips on both sides by pushing the inner clip down and withdrawing forward. Now re-attached the pillar clips to the reverse of the pillars for re-assembly later.

2. remove the plastic 'Airbag clips from the C quarter panel trim on both sides. A plastic spade should ideally be used for this to prevent damaging the plastic parts. If you don't have one, you could use a small screwdriver if you take care. Under the Airbag plastic clips are Torx screws. Remove those. Now remove the quarter panel trims by pulling them away from the car, they are held in with white plastic clips. The clips may come detached from the quarter trims, however they can be prised from the car and slotted back onto the trim panels easily enough.

3. Next to remove the parcel shelf. It is held in with several 'black clips' behind where the seats fold down. The black plastic clips come in two parts. To remove these clips you should remove the centre male part with a screwdriver, then the outer female part.

4. Be very careful when removing the shelf, the speakers are attached and you should have enough wire to lay the shelf were the seat back would go.

5. Now you should see the vent, this is held on by 5 bolts. Remove the bolts and the vent, you will now be able to see we're the vent makes contact with the metal fram of the car.

I used thin felt tape were the vent sits on the metal and electrical tape were the bolts attach the vent to the car. In fact I put tape everywhere to be sure. It was overkill but the rattling was driving my crazy!!! And I was not going to take the chance of missing something.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need me to expan on a step.
Finally got around to taking out the rear seats and tried to remove the rear shelf, but I couldn't get the airbags cover off. What side do you pry from?