Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
haris23 haris23 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: E46 325i
E46 Sub/Amp Install

Alright, so I have installed subs and amps for quite a long time. But I have never dealt with a LOC (line out converter). I have a 2002 325i, non HK system. I have a line out converter, (Raptor LOCA25 to be exact). The damn thing did not come with any instruction manual at all. Thus far, I tapped into my left 6X9, and wired the LOC. It came with 5 wires to use, a brown which I assume in a ground, a white and white with stripe, and a black and black with stripe. I am assuming the ones with stripes are the negatives. My amp turns on no problem, RCAs are connected, grounds are good. But I am not getting any sound. What am I doing wrong? I faded the sound to the rear speakers as well and no subs.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
coopers coopers is offline
Registered User
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Not sure what you mean by tapping the 6x9, but a LOC is supposed to sit between your head unit and your amp.

Most amps cannot handle head unit output (which is variable). The LOC basically evens it out (makes it constant) for amp input.

I am sure that there are folks out there who can explain it better than I.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
haris23 haris23 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopers View Post
Not sure what you mean by tapping the 6x9, but a LOC is supposed to sit between your head unit and your amp.

Most amps cannot handle head unit output (which is variable). The LOC basically evens it out (makes it constant) for amp input.

I am sure that there are folks out there who can explain it better than I.
Well from what I read from some guides, it had said to take the speaker wire from the 6x9 and splice it to use for the LOC. Maybe I am doing it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,881
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Your best result will be from tapping the head unit signal source, not the speaker-level source from the factory sub. That is frequency limited, while the signal source is full frequency giving you much better tuning capabilities.

Look at the spreadsheet/wiring diagram in my thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149113 You are interested in the wires/pins marked "Head unit..." Tap into the rear, feed those to your LOC, then connect to your new amplifier.

I'm color blind, so I prefer to look at positional data vs wire and stripe colors, so those are not included in my wiring chart. The references at the start of my article indicate colors. You are only interested in the Grey and Black connector info for your project.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
haris23 haris23 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Your best result will be from tapping the head unit signal source, not the speaker-level source from the factory sub. That is frequency limited, while the signal source is full frequency giving you much better tuning capabilities.

Look at the spreadsheet/wiring diagram in my thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149113 You are interested in the wires/pins marked "Head unit..." Tap into the rear, feed those to your LOC, then connect to your new amplifier.

I'm color blind, so I prefer to look at positional data vs wire and stripe colors, so those are not included in my wiring chart. The references at the start of my article indicate colors. You are only interested in the Grey and Black connector info for your project.
Thank you for your help. But doesn't the non HK not have an factory amp?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,881
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
You didn't read much of my article. To make my cannibal connector...

Quote:
I purchased a used standard amplifier for a 1999 E46 Sedan from a guy on eBay
All US bound E46's have a separate amp with the same connectors. It is behind the trim panel on the left (driver) side of the trunk.

A visit to the WIKI will also give you a great explanation of how the system is put together and what your upgrade options are.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Nygel's Avatar
Nygel Nygel is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Baytown. TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 766
Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by haris23 View Post
Alright, so I have installed subs and amps for quite a long time. But I have never dealt with a LOC (line out converter). I have a 2002 325i, non HK system. I have a line out converter, (Raptor LOCA25 to be exact). The damn thing did not come with any instruction manual at all. Thus far, I tapped into my left 6X9, and wired the LOC. It came with 5 wires to use, a brown which I assume in a ground, a white and white with stripe, and a black and black with stripe. I am assuming the ones with stripes are the negatives. My amp turns on no problem, RCAs are connected, grounds are good. But I am not getting any sound. What am I doing wrong? I faded the sound to the rear speakers as well and no subs.
First lookup your vehicle colors for the speaker wires.
Second you need a device like a JBL Cleen Sweep or a Audio Control LCi7. Device like these will allow you to tap into the speaker leads and keep the connect to there orgiinal speaker if you choose, plus you will get a balance left and right.
The problem with LOC's tapped into the orginal speakers are it turns into a type of RF mic when you turn the headunit off and power is still applied to the amplifier (a loud constant humming with no control).

hope this helps
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms