Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive
2013 BMW 335i

I have to say, and I'm new to this forum but not to BMWs - I LOVE my F30. I had a 2007 328i Coupe and loved that car as well. But this new one, is utterly divine. Aesthetically, it's a head turner. I particularly love the looks Audi and MB owners give. Honestly, owning a BMW is like rediscovering that part of your soul that has been missing or is dormant and waking it up. Driving to work is no longer a commute, it's a straight out adventure.
Now, the coupe had its advantages no doubt, but I do not feel like I've lost anything going to a sedan. The F30 performs blissfully. The ONLY issue I have is the automatic turn off when the car is idling in traffic or at a light. But a simple button click fixes that.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPraetorian View Post
I have to say, and I'm new to this forum but not to BMWs - I LOVE my F30. I had a 2007 328i Coupe and loved that car as well. But this new one, is utterly divine. Aesthetically, it's a head turner. I particularly love the looks Audi and MB owners give. Honestly, owning a BMW is like rediscovering that part of your soul that has been missing or is dormant and waking it up. Driving to work is no longer a commute, it's a straight out adventure.
Now, the coupe had its advantages no doubt, but I do not feel like I've lost anything going to a sedan. The F30 performs blissfully. The ONLY issue I have is the automatic turn off when the car is idling in traffic or at a light. But a simple button click fixes that.
You can have the auto-off re-coded by your dealer for free. I had mine done before delivery. It stays off. Only when going into ECo-Pro is it re-activated, one press of the OFF button and it remembers until the next time only re-active if you leave EcoPro and go back to it.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Thanks for proving my point-yet again
I never proved your point, you did it for yourself. Sadly you proved BJ's point that your are not representative of the F30 drivers, in fact far from it.

According to BJ, 98% of F30 drivers drive it in part because they care about how they project their images to their neighbors, how comfortable it is for their own families, and how good the advanced gadgets are so they can play while driving.

In fact a base F30, according to BJ, is for pretenders, who has no financial means but still want to be in the club.

Since you are clearly not a typical F30 driver, and you don't care what people think of your choices, I say simply driving an F30 does not give you much authority in this forum.

I will go so far to say, you are even less representative of the F30 drivers compared to those who drive the E90 and may have a few negative things to say about the F30.

Sainter for example, will gladly drive an F30 335i. He just does not care for the 2.0T. He is actually more in line with the F30 crowd than you are.

My point is, just because you drive an F30, does not make you better suited for the F30 forum, than an E90 driver.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I never proved your point, you did it for yourself. Sadly you proved BJ's point that your are not representative of the F30 drivers, in fact far from it.

According to BJ, 98% of F30 drivers drive it in part because they care about how they project their images to their neighbors, how comfortable it is for their own families, and how good the advanced gadgets are so they can play while driving.

In fact a base F30, according to BJ, is for pretenders, who has no financial means but still want to be in the club.

Since you are clearly not a typical F30 driver, and you don't care what people think of your choices, I say simply driving an F30 does not give you much authority in this forum.

I will go so far to say, you are even less representative of the F30 drivers compared to those who drive the E90 and may have a few negative things to say about the F30.
I never claimed to be a part of any group. I do not care about the 98% and who said what makes up those people anyway. YOU did, you came to me with this 98% crap, only you want to stand behind it that BJ said it, and to use that to validate yourself against him or to me, it's really silly. You are conversing with ME-not BJ.

I stated you should make your own arguments and that most posts you make in this section have to reference BJ it seems. Just as I explain that, your reply to me again, mentions others and BJ. Hence, proving my point. And again with your latest.

I have had good back and forth in this thread and in this section. Look at my replies, I do not rely on other people's statements, I am confident enough in what I am trying to get across. I also do not scour the net for figures and magazine tests.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I never claimed to be a part of any group.
You claimed those who do not drive F30 have less of credibility in the F30 forum.

I am saying you have demonstrated you are the very fringe of the F30 drivers. For that reason you don't get to dismiss someone just because he drives an E90, not an F30. Especially consider this is an F30 vs. E90 thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You claimed those who do not drive F30 have less of credibility in the F30 forum.

I am saying you have demonstrated you are the very fringe of the F30 drivers. For that reason you don't get to dismiss someone just because he drives an E90, not an F30. Especially consider this is an F30 vs. E90 thread.
You made a remark implying d-bag status to go to another forum and clout one car over another. YOU.

My counter was that if anyone was going to be guilty of such a thing it would be you as your behavior in this forum resembles the hypothetical you tried to involve me in.

So I am not dismissing you, an E90 driver, I am not dismissing anyone. If anything, I dismiss those who come into this thread or this forum who have bias enough to speak matter of fact-ly when admitting to NEVER even driving an F30. Aside from that, post all you want. If you make yourself seem silly, that's on you.

Again, you may have BJ on the brain. He is the one who tells you and Saintor to go away and never come back. I don't care so much.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You made a remark implying d-bag status to go to another forum and clout one car over another. YOU.

My counter was that if anyone was going to be guilty of such a thing it would be you as your behavior in this forum resembles the hypothetical you tried to involve me in.

So I am not dismissing you, an E90 driver, I am not dismissing anyone. If anything, I dismiss those who come into this thread or this forum who have bias enough to speak matter of fact-ly when admitting to NEVER even driving an F30. Aside from that, post all you want. If you make yourself seem silly, that's on you.

Again, you may have BJ on the brain. He is the one who tells you and Saintor to go away and never come back. I don't care so much.
Unfortunately now that you have showed you are on the very fringe of the F30 group, by the nature of it, your opinions are less of value to the majority of the F30 drivers.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately now that you have showed you are on the very fringe of the F30 group, by the nature of it, your opinions are less of value to the majority of the F30 drivers.
So?

This has no affect on me.

People have free will to decide if the information provided is for them or not.

So far my experiences, such as dyno'ing and developing of the Rogue Catback has netted lots of PM's and inquiries. I have also now posted a DIY on removing interior trim panels. There are F30 drivers looking for information and experience. I have info and experience-it does not have to connect with anyone. I am not insulted if someone does not need that info or chooses not to read something I post.

Maybe you are, or others. I am going to post the same whether 100 people read it-find an interest in it or no one does.

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
So?

This has no affect on me.

People have free will to decide if the information provided is for them or not.

So far my experiences, such as dyno'ing and developing of the Rogue Catback has netted lots of PM's and inquiries. I have also now posted a DIY on removing interior trim panels. There are F30 drivers looking for information and experience. I have info and experience-it does not have to connect with anyone. I am not insulted if someone does not need that info or chooses not to read something I post.

Maybe you are, or others. I am going to post the same whether 100 people read it-find an interest in it or no one does.
Since your treatments to your F30 do not present much value to the majority of the F30, or potential F30 drivers, I hope you do not try to dismiss someone simply because he does not own an F30.

Yes, you did try to dismiss ones who do not drive F30. This is from me who actually did several mods on my own 328i and did several autox events. But this is not what this thread is about. Bragging about it does no good for this discussion, it only proves BJ's cynical point of view, which I do not share.

Not confused enough?

Last edited by dtc100; 01-02-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Since your treatments to your F30 do not present much value to the majority of the F30, or potential F30 drivers, I hope you do not try to dismiss someone simply because he does not own an F30.

Yes, you did try to dismiss ones who do not drive F30. This is from me who actually did several mods on my own 328i and did several autox events. But this is not what this thread is about. Bragging about it does no good for this discussion, it only proves BJ's cynical point of view, which I do not share.

Not confused enough?
You have your opinions.

Others can decide for themselves what value there is or not is in anything I say or what kind or percentage of F30 owner I am. There is a thread on the other forum where we have a growing number of people tracking their F30's and having great experiences. The semantics of what percentage that is of BMW owners, no one cares. Its true today with the F30 and going back decades. The people who really take these cars to the limit is a very small percentage. It is not me alone. But I also do not speak for some made up majority either.

I do not and have no dismissed anyone who does not own an F30. I dismiss those who speak to the F30 as if they have first hand experience when admitting to not having first hand experience. This is not unique to cars, anyone who walks into a conversation as an expert when they have no experience in what they speak-yep, quite annoying. It is not my unique feeling either, I share it with quite a few people.

And again, another post where you have to mention BJ as if it's the word of the day of Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

Reply only if you feel you have something to add to this, this back and forth scrutinizing who I am personally as an F30 owner is kind of wasted bandwidth. I have no interest in analyzing you, BJ, or much of anyone else here to such a degree. I really don't need you to get hung up on me next the way you already seem to do with BJ.

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM

I am not aware anyone who is commenting about F30 but has no first hand experience with it.

It all depends on the subject. Obviously if he is commenting on the look of the F30, he dose not have to drive it first, or if he is comparing the EPA mpg between the F30 N20 and F10 N52, he does not have to log the mpg in an F30 for a week before he can speak on the subject.

Or if he is talking about 5-60 time, not driving it does not dismiss what he has to say, because he is referring to facts provided by the mags.

But if he is discussing the drive feel, yes he has less credibility in this subject unless he had driven it.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I am not aware anyone who is commenting about F30 but has no first hand experience with it.

It all depends on the subject. Obviously if he is commenting on the look of the F30, he dose not have to drive it first, or if he is comparing the EPA mpg between the F30 N20 and F10 N52, he does not have to log the mpg in an F30 for a week before he can speak on the subject.

Or if he is talking about 5-60 time, not driving it does not dismiss what he has to say, because he is referring to facts provided by the mags.

But if he is discussing the drive feel, yes he has less credibility in this subject unless he had driven it.
There have been countless posts where people comment in relation to driving/steering feel that start with, "I have not actually driven an F30 yet...but".

All of your Saintor figure rehashing is unneeded. Again, why do you seem to be speaking for other people who are more than competent at speaking for themselves.

Saintor had figures I did not agree with, and he did not agree with mine. Just because I did not agree it did not mean anything about his ownership or lack of ownership of an F30. All he was doing was digging up magazine specifications to his liking while dismissing other figures of my liking from the very same article. No need for you to turn it into something more, this F30 owner racism where you are not allowed to speak or have an opinion contrary to mine lol.

You are making it out like I was a victor in all of this, a bully, and that people came to my aid and no one to the aid of those with an opposing view. I bet the people on the other side still think I was wrong and they are right which makes your statements seem null and void.

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Reply only if you feel you have something to add to this
BTW, it is not for you to decide what he can or cannot say, didn't you just say that?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
BTW, it is not for you to decide what he can or cannot say, didn't you just say that?
But it was my opinion lol.

If you read it clearly, it says post IF YOU feel you have something to add. How does that make me the one to decide?

It was my hope that you would stop-kind of a challenge to move on.

It did not work

Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
There have been countless posts where people comment in relation to driving/steering feel that start with, "I have not actually driven an F30 yet...but".
Show me a few of such posts in this thread, I am sure it is not hard to do since there are countless of them.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Show me a few of such posts in this thread, I am sure it is not hard to do since there are countless of them.
You think this E90 vs F30 debate is specific to this thread? Specific to this section, this board?

It's exhausting.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
I'm not an F30 driver, but I play one on TV.....
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You think this E90 vs F30 debate is specific to this thread? Specific to this section, this board?

It's exhausting.
Yet you have no trouble talking

I think they are relevant to the thread and the forum, differ only in degrees of relevance.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yet you have no trouble talking

I think they are relevant to the thread and the forum, differ only in degrees of relevance.
OK.

You asked me to quote each time someone posts about the F30 after admitting to not drive one. I will keep updating this as I spend the next HOUR combing lol.

Here you go:

While I like CA posts, this is still an example of starting out an F30 reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I haven't driven an F30 yet so I really don't have a valid opinion between the two.
I have seen that a number of automotive jounalists whose opinion I respect feel that the F30 improved on the E90 in many ways but that the E90 had better "feel" than the F30.
From an E90 vs F30 thread on F30post that Saintor took part in:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-9-D View Post
Until I drive an F30, I won't truly know how I feel about the driving experience, but from what I've read, it seems like the experience has been watered down a bit. Don't like what they've done to the steering. The engine specs don't excite me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker_J View Post
I havent driven an F30 (E92 owner) and from the sounds of it I'll probably just hold on to my E92 until something better comes along.*

What people are saying about new BMWs is that they lack active feedback in the steering and just feels disconnected.*

We'll see what they do with the new 4 but its starting to sound like if you want a legitimate sports sedan out of BMW you'll need to buy something with an M badge.
Going back to my earlier replies, I also took offense to people who drove a base 328 non Sport suspension cars and compared it to their N54 and N55 and or their Sport suspension E90s. I won't quote all of those.

The moral of the story is, drive an F30 setup most like your current car. Then you can judge and compare in the most fair and realistic way. If you hate the F30 after that, great, who am I to judge. If that is one thing from me I would like to leave this thread with, it's that.

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Here you go:

While I like CA posts, this is still an example of starting out an F30 reply:

Here is my post in its entirety:

Quote:
I haven't driven an F30 yet so I really don't have a valid opinion between the two. As for what I read here and elsewhere I take all of that with a grain of salt based on my experience with the RFTs and OEM shocks on the E90. I do know that I preferred the way the sport suspension on the E93 felt compared to the stock suspension after I test drove both but I was totally unprepared for the "Pothole Explosions" (although I was able to solve that issue).
I have seen that a number of automotive jounalists whose opinion I respect feel that the F30 improved on the E90 in many ways but that the E90 had better "feel" than the F30. In a sense that is a moot point since the E90 is no longer available. What would make more sense is to compare the F30 to competitors that are currently available and in that respect it seems to be holding its own. After my experiences with the 335i and the 750 I will never buy a New York car that does not have an adjustable suspension.

I willl not be buying an F30 (I am sure it is an excellent car but I have no use for a small sedan) but will look at the 4 Series Cabrio when it was released. I will also look at a number of other cars and an particularly interested in the new Jaguar F-Type.

I really don't understand the complaints about the heavy steering in the E9x. I honestly never noticed it and I drive a wide variety of cars every year,
When I was quoting other people I made it clear that I was quoting other people and that I did not necessarily agree or disagree with them in cases where I had no first hand experience,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Here is my post in its entirety:

When I was quoting other people I made it clear that I was quoting other people and that I did not necessarily agree or disagree with them in cases where I had no first hand experience,

CA
LOL, I knew quoting you would bring you out into this.

It was the first post I saw 1 minute into combing this thread and it started with you saying you had never driven an F30 hehe.

Be assured, I like your posts quite a bit, they do not show bias and are very well informed.

But that sentence was too good of a fit to ignore.

I stopped 10 minutes into this search, I got exhausted by the Beden1 back and forths and got a headache.

Points have been made.

My favorite point, once again. Drive an f30 closest to what you own now. If you love your N54 or N55, dont drive an N20 and say how it's not as fast as your E90. Have a modified or Sport suspension E90, dont drive your base F30 loaner and say it has tons of body roll compared to your E90.

I think that's more than fair.

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
LOL, I knew quoting you would bring you out into this.

It was the first post I saw 1 minute into combing this thread and it started with you saying you had never driven an F30 hehe.

Be assured, I like your posts quite a bit, they do not show bias and are very well informed.

But that sentence was too good of a fit to ignore.

I stopped 10 minutes into this search, I got exhausted by the Beden1 back and forths and got a headache.

Points have been made.

My favorite point, once again. Drive an f30 closest to what you own now. If you love your N54 or N55, dont drive an N20 and say how it's not as fast as your E90. Have a modified or Sport suspension E90, dont drive your base F30 loaner and say it has tons of body roll compared to your E90.

I think that's more than fair.
I actually was about to quote myself but you beat me to it.

It is obvious however that there are a number of posters here who are posting based on what they read rather than on their own experience.
It is also obvious that a number of the comments on "handling" and "road feel" are coming from people who have limited understanding of vehicle dynamics, have little or no experience with driving at anywhere close to the limits and who couldn't tell you the difference between oversteer and understeer, let alone how to correct for it, without going to Wikipedia. There is nothing wrong with that but those people need to realize that we are not all talking about the same thing when we discuss handling. I, for example, do not consider the ease with which the steering wheel can be turned while parallel parking to be part of handling.

All cars feel like they are cornering on rails if you are going slow enough. Some cars can retain the "cornering on rails" feeling at higher speeds than others. An important part of handling is how the car reacts as you approach the limits of traction, how much advance warning you get as the limits are approached and how well the car reacts to corrective actions.

Better handling does not necessarily equate to higher track speeds. A case in point would be a Spec Miata. There are many more powerful cars than Miatas that may be faster around certain tracks that do not handle anywhere near as well.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I actually was about to quote myself but you beat me to it.

It is obvious however that there are a number of posters here who are posting based on what they read rather than on their own experience.
It is also obvious that a number of the comments on "handling" and "road feel" are coming from people who have limited understanding of vehicle dynamics, have little or no experience with driving at anywhere close to the limits and who couldn't tell you the difference between oversteer and understeer, let alone how to correct for it, without going to Wikipedia. There is nothing wrong with that but those people need to realize that we are not all talking about the same thing when we discuss handling. I, for example, do not consider the ease with which the steering wheel can be turned while parallel parking to be part of handling.

All cars feel like they are cornering on rails if you are going slow enough. Some cars can retain the "cornering on rails" feeling at higher speeds than others. An important part of handling is how the car reacts as you approach the limits of traction, how much advance warning you get as the limits are approached and how well the car reacts to corrective actions.

Better handling does not necessarily equate to higher track speeds. A case in point would be a Spec Miata. There are many more powerful cars than Miatas that may be faster around certain tracks that do not handle anywhere near as well.

CA

You should post more often

Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM

All three posts quoted above are legit comments, they all admitted they had not driven an F30, but commented on the steering feedback, based on some level of consensus by others.

I personally will not hold people to such a high standard that they must first drive the car, before they can comment on something people have pretty much built a consensus on, in this case, the steering feedback, or lack of it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
All three posts quoted above are legit comments, they all admitted they had not driven an F30, but commented on the steering feedback, based on some level of consensus by others.

I personally will not hold people to such a high standard that they must first drive the car, before they can comment on something people have pretty much built a consensus on, in this case, the steering feedback, or lack of it.
If a person was to make a decision, and was wanting information to help decide between alternatives...

Lets say your company says we are going to give you a raise if you relocate to one of two different states.

You ask around for feedback.

There are people who say:

1) I have been to neither of those states, I cannot say
2 ) I have only been to one of the states, so I cannot say which is better, but here is my account of one of them
3) I have been to both states numerous times, they both have a lot going for them, here is what you may or may not prefer-this is my preference
4) I have only been to one of the states, but I read an article somewhere that the other state is terrible.

Now to me, 1-3 are honest and helpful. 4-can be helpful-but a bit biased. Now what happens if you go around and ask more and more people, but person number 4 walks over each time and repeats themselves over and over.

Let me tell you, many people posting in this section are that way, and if you do not find it annoying-that is great for you. These same people are going out of their way to repeat themselves in THIS section. People like me, our job is not to police the internet and find every corner where someone does not agree with us on the F30. But coming to the F30 section and constantly repeating the same thing when admitting you have not done your homework-that you are just going to go sheep-style and go by the magazines and others first hand accounts-yep, really annoying. But you feel entitled to do so. I am just as entitled to be annoyed and counter with first hand experience of driving the cars in questions, not just reading about it, or what that guy said.

There are other people in here that do find it annoying too.

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 01-02-2013 at 04:30 PM.