Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #126  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
It's a masterpiece because BMW is able to pull off the 328i being quicker and more efficient, at the same time. Compare that 2.0 turbo 4 to say the one in the ATS. The BMW 4 is simply put an engineering marvel for the reason that BMW was able to cut off 2 cylinders and from the previous gen 3 series and it...
OK, at this point I have to bring up Audi. They have been successfully doing this for quite some time now. Yes, peak power of the older Audi 2.0T is lower by 30Hp but torque is the same for most rpms. The BMW 2.0T produces more power because it maintains that flat torque all the way to 4800rpm whereas the Audi 2.0T starts dropping off at 4200rpm. For most driving, they will feel the same. The BMW engine though has higher boost and perhaps the twin scroll turbo can breath better at higher RPMs. But again, Audi has had a 260Hp version of the same 2.0T in the TT-S for quite some time. So let's make sure we are all on the same page here about "BMW miracles." (it is not an Audi miracle either, but they clearly bought and pushed the concept in this class of car before BMW).

The A4 was more than capable of standing up to the I6 in the 328i E90, even though most folks here who are now singing in praise of the BMW 2.0T probably used to piss on the "4-banger" A4 just a couple of years ago
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
My logic is just all fine. Yours clearly lives in fantasy land.

5-60mph is certainly a key feature. 0-60mph 0-100mph and 1/4 mile are irrelevant because people who perform them cheat/abuse the powertrains like mad.
Car magazines do abuse like mad indeed. But Consumer Reports does it "the way a regular driver would." That means launching from an IDLING engine and their tests still show the F30 328i to be faster.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxComb View Post
- Handling was worse in the base 328i (not an apples to apples comparison since the 328i didn't have at least sports suspension). I drove it on "The Snake" in Malibu and it definitely felt more out of control than my 335i.
It is worth noting that the base car comes with 17" tires while the lines come with 18". Now I won't claim whether this makes a difference for this specific car, since you reach a point of no more handling gains at some point. But for the A4, 17" versus 18" and wider makes a big difference. Consumer Reports has tested the 2009 and 2011 models and noted that handling was not as sharp. Somehow, they missed the fact that the 2011 car they tested had both narrower and smaller diameter tires, although the tire model was the same. They have a slalom like maneuver for which max speed dropped from an exceptional 56.5mph to a merely very good 53.5mph. I wouldn't be surprised if there was similarly a non-trivial drop in handling sharpness between base and line trims of the F30.

FYI: the luxury line F30 they tested made it to an excellent 54.5mph. Clearly, while it may be soft, it is no slouch, and I am sure it would post an even more impressive number with the sport suspension or the dynamic handling package.

Last edited by bmw_or_audi; 12-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 PM
NordicBob NordicBob is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
I've not owned an E90, but recently traded in my E46 330ci for a F30 335 MSport sedan. While I love my new F30, I feel that I lost a bit of the road feel of my E46. As someone else stated in an earlier reply,the F30 feels like a completely different car. Much bigger and refined, but a little less of that ultimate driving road feel was lost. Overall not a big thing, but I would suggest a serious test drive before you make a decision. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,745
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Absolutely true. But the F30 328i has more peak power and a much fatter lower power curve than the 3.0L I6. So it wins at peak power and it wins even more convincingly at lower rpms, which is most relevant for daily driving.
Welll then it should perform better on 5-60mph and it doesn't. Torque ratings doesn't help here since I already explained that by the time the turbo is catching up its lag, the engine is already at +/-3000 rpm. That's why the N20 328 doesn't outperform the N52 328i in this best-for-daily-driving test.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Last edited by Saintor; 12-27-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,745
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
C&D is a joke for such things. Consumer reports does test mpgs with precision instrumentation.
So does C&D ... what's your point? "Instrumented Test" written everywhere.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,745
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
YOU.

You tried citing examples and state that the N20 is not more fuel efficient in the real world because some magazine posted 21mpg in an f30 and 23 in an E93.

Do I need to dig up your own quotes?
Please do. *All of them*.

Instead of pulling something out of context, make that extra effort to read the whole thing, so we won't have to explain you again what you missed. Once for all, it is not 5-65 but 5-60.

I mentioned that the F30 328i avg 26 mpg as per EPA *IS* representative. Not your general 30+mpg nonsense. I mentioned that C&D got 21 and 23 in 2 different occasions, no better than the N52. The point is that under load and when heavily solicited, the 4-cyl. turbo fuel economy is no better than the NA 6. That's a fact.

It is absolutely wonderful that the 2011 N52 non-direct injected 240HP 528i get only 1mpg worse than a 400lbs lighter F30 328i.

And keep your troll accusations for your imaginary friends, d-bag.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Last edited by Saintor; 12-27-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I think if you drive all the time like you want to register a record mpg out of the car, you will be more successful with the N20 than with the N52.

But if you drive for maximum fun all the time, the two will be very close, except of course if trying to break your mpg record is your definition of driving fun.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Please do. *All of them*.

Instead of pulling something out of context, make that extra effort to read the whole thing, so we won't have to explain you again what you missed. Once for all, it is not 5-65 but 5-60.

I mentioned that the F30 328i avg 26 mpg as per EPA *IS* representative. Not your general 30+mpg nonsense. I mentioned that C&D got 21 and 23 in 2 different occasions, no better than the N52. The point is that under load and when heavily solicited, the 4-cyl. turbo fuel economy is no better than the NA 6. That's a fact.

It is absolutely wonderful that the 2011 N52 non-direct injected 240HP 528i get only 1mpg worse than a 400lbs lighter F30 328i.

And keep your troll accusations for your imaginary friends, d-bag.
No one cares about any of this nonsense, especially when its coming from someone who doesn't even own an F30 and doesn't appear to intend to buy one either.

You hate the new direction of BMW. You hate the F30. You're smart. We're stupid. We get it. Enjoy your other cars. Find another forum to troll.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,031
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
No one cares about any of this nonsense, especially when its coming from someone who doesn't even own an F30 and doesn't appear to intend to buy one either.

You hate the new direction of BMW. You hate the F30. You're smart. We're stupid. We get it. Enjoy your other cars. Find another forum to troll.

BJ
That's quite normal it takes awhile to accept new things I life....I still love e46 and e90 but start to warm up to the f30.... ESP. 328i sport pack

Will for the 3e90 for one next year bm should fix all the bugs
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Welll then it should perform better on 5-60mph and it doesn't. Torque ratings doesn't help here since I already explained that by the time the turbo is catching up its lag, the engine is already at +/-3000 rpm. That's why the N20 328 doesn't outperform the N52 328i in this best-for-daily-driving test.
I haven't seen the numbers you are referring to, but yes, turbo lag in such a test might show up. However, I don't consider 5-60mph relevant to normal driving, at least not to my driving. CR has a 45-65mph test, for which the F30 wins hands down, and that is far more relevant to me.

OK, I actually took the time to look up some numbers for 5-60mph. From C&D:

F30: Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.8 sec
2010 Wagon: Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.3 sec

Granted, the wagon is a little heavier than the sedan, but not that much heavier. Maybe you have other numbers you can quote. But at least C&D's completely contradict your claim.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
So does C&D ... what's your point? "Instrumented Test" written everywhere.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review
"Our manual long-termer is currently averaging 27 mpg, ..."

Is that your instrumented test?
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
That's quite normal it takes awhile to accept new things I life....I still love e46 and e90 but start to warm up to the f30.... ESP. 328i sport pack

Will for the 3e90 for one next year bm should fix all the bugs
And that's fine. And you behave in a mature way in this forum and you participate intelligently and it's all good.

There are a few non-F30 owners who think its entertaining to troll our forum and tell us how stupid we are for sticking with BMW as they make their beloved 3 Series a bit bigger, a bit softer, and a bit more luxurious. They act like they're talking to a bunch of gullible people who didn't understand what they were getting into, like we were duped or something.

We get it. We're not stupid. We love our F30's. Others can hate it all they want. They should just take that hate over to the E9X forum where it's useful.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Please do. *All of them*.

Instead of pulling something out of context, make that extra effort to read the whole thing, so we won't have to explain you again what you missed. Once for all, it is not 5-65 but 5-60.
OK, but show us where are the two numbers. The ones I found on C^D show the F30 doing the 5-60mph better, noticeably better.

Quote:
I mentioned that the F30 328i avg 26 mpg as per EPA *IS* representative. Not your general 30+mpg nonsense. I mentioned that C&D got 21 and 23 in 2 different occasions, no better than the N52. The point is that under load and when heavily solicited, the 4-cyl. turbo fuel economy is no better than the NA 6. That's a fact.
Of course. But that is completely irrelevant for normal driving. Heck, you could even tune a 2.0T (BMW or not) to drink much more fuel than a 3.0 I-6, mostly because you can make it generate much more power

Quote:
It is absolutely wonderful that the 2011 N52 non-direct injected 240HP 528i get only 1mpg worse than a 400lbs lighter F30 328i.
Yes, it is wonderful indeed. From C&D:
  • 328i: EPA city/highway driving: 23/33 mpg
  • 528i: EPA city/highway driving: 22/32 mpg
Wonderful until you notice the catch:
  • 328i: C/D observed: 27 mpg
  • 528i: C/D observed: 19 mpg
Ooops!!!!!

Then one wonders, was C&D's "observation" a fluke? So I checked out CR for its overall mileage:
  • 328i: 28 mpg
  • 530i: 20 mpg
Granted, the 530i was the 2004 model (still an N52, right?) with only a 6-speed auto. But this case is closed shut.

Last edited by bmw_or_audi; 12-27-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,745
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
OK, but show us where are the two numbers. The ones I found on C^D show the F30 doing the 5-60mph better, noticeably better.



Of course. But that is completely irrelevant for normal driving. Heck, you could even tune a 2.0T (BMW or not) to drink much more fuel than a 3.0 I-6, mostly because you can make it generate much more power
.
Why do you make an half-ass job when all the correct figures has been published... don't you even read the thread?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=63
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I haven't seen the numbers you are referring to, but yes, turbo lag in such a test might show up. However, I don't consider 5-60mph relevant to normal driving, at least not to my driving. CR has a 45-65mph test, for which the F30 wins hands down, and that is far more relevant to me.

OK, I actually took the time to look up some numbers for 5-60mph. From C&D:

F30: Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.8 sec
2010 Wagon: Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.3 sec

Granted, the wagon is a little heavier than the sedan, but not that much heavier. Maybe you have other numbers you can quote. But at least C&D's completely contradict your claim.
I will not use the wagon for anything

C&D tested a 2009 328i manual at 5.9s 0-60.

For daily driving it should be easier to drive N20 faster from stoplight to stoplight. That is not to say one can not drive the N52 fast, just need more skill.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Why do you make an half-ass job when all the correct figures has been published... don't you even read the thread?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=63
Fair enough. Your numbers are for the manual and the ones I found were for the autos (a far more common setup).

And why stop at 5-60mph? Let's also look at 30-50 and 50-70 in your links. Both are won by the F30 fairly decisively.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,223
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
And I have no idea why people think that the 2012 328i performance is night and day difference with the 2011 328. This is flat-out wrong.

If there is a spec where the turbo should shine because of "torque", this would be 5-60mph; from idle, you just mash the throttle and *gone*.

The funny little thing is that the E90 328i is *quicker* at this game. More immediacy and no turbo lag. 5-60mph in 6.4s rather 6.6s. This despite the fact that the F30 has short gear ratios! And icing on the cake, they observed an better real-world fuel economy on the E90, 25mpg vs 23mpg for the F30.

E90 328i manual

F30 328i manual

The I6 just needed direct injection and all this N20 nonsense would have been avoided...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Not as per real-life data. Turbo-feel just fools you.

Anyway, say thanks to the shorter ratio ZF 8-speed for your feeling as initial acceleration, because overall hard facts states that the F30 328i is not significantly quicker than the E90 328i. Same ball park at best.

Here in this F30 328i automatic comparo over 300 miles, C&D observed only 21mpg, again much worse than what they observed in any I6 E9X (except the obese convertible). When you push those little forced-induction engines, you get worse fuel economy than expected. It is absolutely hilarious that the N20 Step certified EPA figures are no better than the N55.

And factor in the engine note that was lost in the transition, the N20 is a blow against 3-series virtues. Old M54 and early 2006 N52 were feeling so much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Enlighten us why the N20 is a "masterpiece" when there are Asian V6 out there that makes more power and cost less annually in fuel, without direct injection of ZF 8-speed. Again, it is no quicker from idle than what it replaces (see 5-60mph from C&D to establish that).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
30+ mpg "average" is clearly fantasy land from people who don't what they are talking about. Wrong methodology and just lack of skills. I can report 6.8L/100km in my car on one ride on highway, but that's doesn't mean overall average by any stretch.

fuelly.com reports 26.3mpg from 17 2012-2013 328i owners. Now THAT makes sense and it is not bad. After all, C&D got 23mpg and 21mpg in two occasions on 300+ miles rides.

However the same result could have been reached with direct injection on the I6. Mercedes and Porsche gained 15% on NA V6 and H6 after they updated them with direct injection. 4-cylinder turbo are a joke in heavy vehicles and totally unfit in this class since they feel like a Civic, clearly a down grade in feel. Talk to Acura who dismissed their 4-cyl. turbo in their RDX, replaced it with a well-done V6 with improved power and fuel costs. THAT's the proper way to do it.

Say hello to your imaginary friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Please do. *All of them*.

Instead of pulling something out of context, make that extra effort to read the whole thing, so we won't have to explain you again what you missed. Once for all, it is not 5-65 but 5-60.

I mentioned that the F30 328i avg 26 mpg as per EPA *IS* representative. Not your general 30+mpg nonsense. I mentioned that C&D got 21 and 23 in 2 different occasions, no better than the N52. The point is that under load and when heavily solicited, the 4-cyl. turbo fuel economy is no better than the NA 6. That's a fact.

It is absolutely wonderful that the 2011 N52 non-direct injected 240HP 528i get only 1mpg worse than a 400lbs lighter F30 328i.

And keep your troll accusations for your imaginary friends, d-bag.
I am a D-bag now lol .

I quoted for you!

All you do is yap yap yap. You whip out figures and numbers that try and support whatever it is you want to cling to at that moment. When the other side has evidence to support something YOU do not agree with, you crap on why that evidence is no good.

You: N20 is not better than N52, look at the 5-60 times!
Me: Look at 0-60, 0-100 or 1/4
You: No, no, not fair, those are abusive tests and no one would do that on the street!
Me:OK, what about the second plus advantage of 30-50 and 50-70 top gear acceleration with the N20, those are real world tests that would not be abusive at all?
You: Crickets chirping

You: Some magazine had the N20 average 21 compared to another test with the N52 at 23.
Me: I as well as others have gotten as high as 30+
You: You made that up
Me: Pictures
You: Blah blah blah
Me: Magazine writers are paid to borrow cars, rag on them, not really the best source compared to owners, many of whom can compare to their previous E90s.
You.: Fantasy, all of yas. Fuelly.com has the '12-'13's at 26.3mpg
Me: Well, that's more long term than my tank average. 26.3mpg is 20+% greater than your first example of 21 with the magazine guys.
You: Crickets chirping

You seem to be doing a lot of talking, a lot of name calling, and I kind of let you have more and more things your way by lending some credibility to your sources and examples(Fuelly.com, 5-60 tests etc), but when there is a real logical argument you cannot side step in return you ignore it, you name call and come across as a far larger D-bag than I.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 12-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,223
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Fair enough. Your numbers are for the manual and the ones I found were for the autos (a far more common setup).

And why stop at 5-60mph? Let's also look at 30-50 and 50-70 in your links. Both are won by the F30 fairly decisively.
I have repeated the 30-50 and 50-70 argument using HIS sources numerous times already.

All he wants to talk about is 5-60, one test which the N20 is down 2 tenths in his examples. I have real world experience, being an idiot on the street and having tons of passes at the strip, higher tq cars suffer more from traction and the N20 has a lot more issues planting power mashing the pedal at 5mph than the N52. Does one also consider the tires? What if the 6.4 seconds in the N52 had the 255's out back and pretty much all tests of the N20 have 225's? Ever think of that Saintor?
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
And that's fine. And you behave in a mature way in this forum and you participate intelligently and it's all good.

There are a few non-F30 owners who think its entertaining to troll our forum and tell us how stupid we are for sticking with BMW as they make their beloved 3 Series a bit bigger, a bit softer, and a bit more luxurious. They act like they're talking to a bunch of gullible people who didn't understand what they were getting into, like we were duped or something.

We get it. We're not stupid. We love our F30's. Others can hate it all they want. They should just take that hate over to the E9X forum where it's useful.

BJ
I'm personally not too fond of the direction BMW Is taking but, people gatta understand this is where the market is headed. The turbo 4 is a gem. I drive that car day in and day out and never get tired of how peppy and how balanced the car is.

In other news, I just ordered BMW Performance Black Kidney Grilles(Gloss) for my car, with a black M License plate to match!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 12-27-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is online now
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,467
Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Granted, the 530i was the 2004 model (still an N52, right?) with only a 6-speed auto. But this case is closed shut.
No. That was the M54B30, an entirely different and less fuel-efficient engine.
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff

   N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,704
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I'm personally not too fond of the direction BMW Is taking but, people gatta understand this is where the market is headed. The turbo 4 is a gem. I drive that car day in and day out and never get tired of how peppy and how balanced the car is.

In other news, I just ordered BMW Performance Black Kidney Grilles(Gloss) for my car, with a black M License plate to match!
Sweet!

Nice to see that you finally got the car of your dreams.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is online now
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,056
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
wow, i came in to comment on the original question. and its a full on flamefest

i'm coming from two E90 335i sedans, one 6MT RWD and the other 6AT AWD. I've test driven an N20 AWD 8AT and currently drive an N55 RWD 6MT

thoughts:
the suspension on both the 328 X drive (standard) and my car, DHP 335i is more composed and softer (on my car, in comfort mode) than both my E90s. softer in a good way, both of my old cars were pre suspension change, and had the "pothole explosion" shocks. the suspension on the F30 328i xdrive felt more composed than a 2011 328i XDrive loaner i had for almost two weeks two months ago (sandy stranded my car at the dealer as they had no power). I hated the crashy-bangy suspension on my 2010 along with the floaty, rolling feeling the non sport suspension gave. very happy with the F30 suspension in both comfort and sport mode.

steering on the F30 in non sport mode is lighter and a little weird feeling-- i was test driving an E90 two days ago for my brother, and for a moment thought the power steering on the car was broken-- i had gotten used to the power steering on my F30 which i had been driving in comfort mode as NYC pothole season has started in earnest. in sport mode it tightens up alot and feels very good, almost as good as the steering in my old E46 ( late 2001 build car with heavier steering rack).

engine - the N20 has alot more punch than the N52. it did feel a little less smooth. i went with the N55 as it seemed better suited to a 6MT. The N55 does not feel as powerful as my outgoing N54, but that car had the performance power kit and performance exhaust. the N55 does have a nice exhaust burble on decel. smooth power delivery.

interior- at first glance, the F30 interior looks a little cheaper, only because the dash material is a little shinier. from a tactile perspective, it feels better put together, more refined. BMW spent more time on the details of the interior. the center stack has a better layout, and the switch gear has a more solid feel. two examples i can think of are the iDrive controller and the cruise control buttons.
even the cupholders look like they were designed in (vs tacked on in the e9x)
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,745
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I have repeated the 30-50 and 50-70 argument using HIS sources numerous times already.

All he wants to talk about is 5-60, one test which the N20 is down 2 tenths in his examples. I have real world experience, being an idiot on the street and having tons of passes at the strip, higher tq cars suffer more from traction and the N20 has a lot more issues planting power mashing the pedal at 5mph than the N52. Does one also consider the tires? What if the 6.4 seconds in the N52 had the 255's out back and pretty much all tests of the N20 have 225's? Ever think of that Saintor?
Well, if you would have really thought about it, this is all to the N52's credit, not the contrary.

255 has more rolling resistance and 5-60mph test doesn't break traction in these cars. Funny.

5-60mph is the best for real world, 0-to-something are just for kids who love to brag about nothing. Again when did you pre-rev your RPM to 3500-4000rpm in order to get the best acceleration? lol.

The problem with top gear acceleration 30-50 and 50-70 tests is about "top gear" part. All automatic cars perform great while the manual ones all look like pigs. Why? Because oh wonders, automatics *downshift*! (although they could do them in M-mode).

Top gear 30-50 50-70
F30 328i manual 9.5 7.7
F30 328i automatic 3.5 3.9

So this is a non-issue, because if you are too lazy to downshift and drive a manual like it should, then you need the automatic that will make up for your poor driver skills.

Quote:
The turbo 4 is a gem.
What does it do that the competition with old technology can't do?
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Last edited by Saintor; 12-28-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is offline
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,163
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Well, if you would have really thought about it, this is all to the N52's credit, not the contrary.

255 has more rolling resistance and 5-60mph test doesn't break traction in these cars. Funny.

5-60mph is the best for real world, 0-to-something are just for kids who love to brag about nothing. Again when did you pre-rev your RPM to 3500-4000rpm in order to get the best acceleration? lol.

The problem with top gear acceleration 30-50 and 50-70 tests is about "top gear" part. All automatic cars perform great while the manual ones all look like pigs. Why? Because oh wonders, automatics *downshift*! (although they could do them in M-mode).

Top gear 30-50 50-70
F30 328i manual 9.5 7.7
F30 328i automatic 3.5 3.9

So this is a non-issue, because if you are too lazy to downshift and drive a manual like it should, then you need the automatic that will make up for your poor driver skills.



What does it do that the competition with old technology can't do?
The bottom line which you refuse to acknowledge is that in everyday driving the N20 gets significantly better fuel economy and is faster. You can throw out all the stats you want but in the real world the N20 is a much more efficient engine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms