Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT XDrive
Summer vs winter wheel comparison

Still getting used to the look of the GT on her 18" wheels with the aforementioned Michelin Alpin PA4s which I had installed the other day. I think everyone will agree that the smaller wheel size diminishes the look of the car/makes it look "less aggressive." I had an 18 year old twerp who works at the car wash that I go to, which his dad owns, who drives a 428xi MSport, tell me that it "looks like a soccer mom's car with those wheels." I was quick to remind him that my [550] would easily blow the doors off of his [practically] base model 4 series and that it cost nearly twice as much as his car (I can get a bit defensive when lesser mortals than we GT drivers speak ill of our beloved car)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1416332023.837055.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	476742Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1416332036.381562.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	476743Anyway, took the photo of her on the winter set this morning and thought I'd share.

Do any of you use different wheels for your summer and winter tires? Would enjoy seeing some other side by side comparisons if anyone has photos. Cheers!

2012 F07 550i Gran Turismo XDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic II with Cinnamon Perforated Nappa Leather seats

w/ Sport, Convenience, Driver Assistance and Cold Weather pkgs, Climatised Front Seats, Luxury Rear Seating, Dynamic Handling, Integral Steering, Active Cruise Control, Lane Departure, HUD, Comfort Access, 20" Wheels, BMW Apps

Summers: Continental EXTREME CONTACT DW
245/40R20 275/35R20
Winters: Pirelli WINTER CARVING EDGE RFTs
245/40R20 275/35R20

Advertisement
Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i/2012 550xi GT
The 20s look nice. My concern is ride quality however. How does the ride compare with the 18s installed?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Given the state of my local roads and the real likelihood of cracking a wheel, I have 18" wheels for both winter and summer. Personally, I could care less what it looks like as long as it functions well. Can't see them while driving (and it's not that easy to see parked in the garage, either!). Whatever turns you on...your money, your choice. I'm long past what others think of things as being an important issue.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 PM
That Guy w/ the Modded GT

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT DINAN Stg 3
Bro, don't get so upset about an 18-year old kid making a comment on your GT. No offense, but real talk here, the 18"s on the GT are the reason why the car is hated so much, and the kid is absolutely right. I agree with him, no need for him to be a "lesser mortal" lol. And actually, a 2011-12 GT isn't twice as much as a new 2014 428xi, the GT's have come down substantially in value...

And this is coming from the one who started the serious GT modding craze. The GT is just plain and simply not that attractive when stock, it needs some modifications to unlock its potential, in my opinion.

The worst problem with the GT is it looks too inflated, and it's too tall, it's for people like jadnadhuanh. He just wants a tall ride height, practicality, and comfort. That's what an X5 is for to be frankly honest. The GT should have been no more taller than an F10. What gives the GT some more handsome looks is the sloping roofline, something BMW should do one more cars to make it sleeker (esp. 4-doors), after it's been lowered.

The GT looks good with rims either 20" and up, the best fit is 21". I should have done 21". They make up for the GT's size, making it look slimmer. Anything smaller just completely ruins the look of the car.

And to be brutally honest, the GT pulls hard in a straight line but unless you have H&R springs that light 428 will turn better and feel better in the bends, it's a much sportier car. The GT is almost 0.7 tons heavier, and that's not by any means little.

I'm sorry if I sounded really direct and harsh here. But i've seen you kind of get of upset when others say something negative about your car on IG, and stuff. I just wanted to say be happy with your GT, imagine how modified and different mine looks yet it still is controversial. It has and always will be hated upon by some, but as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters. You just have to accept the comments.

P.S. but IMHO lowering the car might "lower" the amount of hate on the GT hehehe

BMW 550i GT DINAN Stage 2 w/ Many Mods... Faster than you think.
Hear it here...
And see more photos of it here...

Like my GT? I'm selling it... Click here

CCA Member: 477510

Last edited by DINAN_GT; 11-19-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:30 PM

The only big issue with people not accepting the GT well is the effect on resale price. If you tend to keep your cars a long time, it is a mute point, though. It's a good car for what it is. That suits some, and doesn't others. It's not worth trying to make converts out of them, though; their loss. If you want a nimble track ready car, the GT isn't for you. If you want something that can get you where you want to go comfortably with a modicum of BMW performance and handling, it works.

FWIW, for me, anyways, getting into and out of the X-series is just awkward - the actual seat to roof door opening is too small, and I don't bend over that far anymore. There are a lot of people that like the car-like ride and handling of the GT, but with the slightly higher height.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 PM

Agreed... At 6'3.5", I appreciate extra headroom in the cabin and the high sitting stance of the car... We had a 435xi loaner for a week or so last winter and for a relatively tall guy like me, it was very uncomfortable getting in and out... As for the look and design of the car, I've always been partial to 5-door, hatchback/sportbacks... When I was a kid we had a Volkswagen Fox Wagon, Subaru Legacy Hatchback, etc... My first car was a B5 S4 Avant... I love the look of the GT, the A7, and Panamera, and the like... My only qualm with the GT is the lack of trunk space given the size of the car. That, I will agree, was poorly thought out/designed...

As for lowering the car like @Dinan keeps clamoring about, if I was to do that, I would do it "the right way," ie with the help of air suspension, aka "bagging" the car, so that I could adjust up and down as needed... I like that the GT rides higher than a car, but lower than an SUV. I feel like I have command of the road and can see everything thats in front of me with how the car stands.

2012 F07 550i Gran Turismo XDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic II with Cinnamon Perforated Nappa Leather seats

w/ Sport, Convenience, Driver Assistance and Cold Weather pkgs, Climatised Front Seats, Luxury Rear Seating, Dynamic Handling, Integral Steering, Active Cruise Control, Lane Departure, HUD, Comfort Access, 20" Wheels, BMW Apps

245/40R20 275/35R20
245/40R20 275/35R20

Old 11-20-2014, 02:53 PM

FWIW, at least in the initial years (I haven't checked recently), in Germany, on the GT, the panoramic sunroof was a 1750-Euro option (about $2500, depending on the exchange rate). So, they make them that way and it adds a couple more inches of headroom both front and back to the vehicle. I can think of lots of things I'd rather have for that money than a sunroof that I almost never open. Some can't live without one, I certainly could and am one that would enjoy the lack of one! I'm about the same height, but more long-waisted than many my height...headroom, and door opening relative to seat height is quite critical. Throw in that my back doesn't bend much anymore, and seat height along with the door opening is critical for day-to-day usage. I can fold myself into many cars, but doing it on a regular basis is not something I can do anymore. As it is, with the seat down as far as it will go, and adjusted for comfortable leg and arm to steering wheel, I have a big blind spot since I'm looking through about the middle of the mirror unless I duck! Very few cars offer a double-jointed mirror that will give you some vertical height adjustment, but I do enjoy those, when available.

When sitting in your GT, and looking comfortably straight ahead, turn and notice where your eyes are relative to the mirror, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Gran Tursimo M
Winter Wheel size recommendation?

Hey all, rookie here in the forums and recently posted my 550i GT in the photos section. I live in Chicago and bracing for the winter here shortly. I currently have 20" staggered stock wheels and seeking for dedicated set of winter wheels/tires combo. Any recommendations? I've been checking online and been told that I can only down size to a 19x8.5 rim size for winter tires as I have the sport package non x-drive 2012 GT 550i. Any truth to this? Also I know the bolt pattern is 5x120 but what about the offset? I hear these have neither a small or large offset but somewhere in the middle?

I will go with Michelin X-Ice winter tires and a 19x8.5 wheel size non-staggered configuration. Any thoughts or opinions on this? I know BLizzak's and other tires are popular here but really like the warranty and tread life of these Michelin's, plus are rated great for ice and snow although a bit sluggish on dry and wet but I can live with that for a few months since these are meant for winter only setup.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Does the sport model have larger diameter brake rotors? If not, I don't see why it can't take the 18" wheel. But, this should all be covered in the owner's manual for your vehicle. If you want RFT, your choices are more limited than if you choose a 'normal' tire. Taller and narrower works better to slice through a snow covered road. I have Michelin PA2's on mine (245-50/18 which is the stock size without any upgrades on the GT). THere's something to be said about RFT, especially on that cold, nasty, winter night when you really don't want to stop! The softer rubber on the winter tires rides better than the Goodyears my car came with, quieter on most roads, too. They do lose a little if you get aggressive on a dry road, but I can live with that for the wintertime. FWIW, BMW's winter tire packages can often be a VERY good deal - at least give your dealer a call to see what they have and the price. A tire/wheel/sensor ready to mount can often be less expensive than just buying a wheel. IOW, they don't have a very big markup compared to most of the things they sell.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:43 AM

False. My GT is a Sport and I'm running 18s (did you even read the post bro?! Lol) with Michelin Alpin PA4s.

245/40R20 275/35R20
245/40R20 275/35R20

Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 AM

Run out to a Discount Tire location in the 'burbs, they can do TPMS rebuilds for whatever configuration you end up with.

245/40R20 275/35R20
245/40R20 275/35R20

Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR550iGT View Post
False. My GT is a Sport and I'm running 18s (did you even read the post bro?! Lol) with Michelin Alpin PA4s.
Very interesting as I've been receiving conflicting information from most chain tire joints, tirerack and even BMW. At this point I'm going with BMW as they said to go with a 19x8.5 wheel and a 245/40/19 winter tire for all 4.
2012 550i GT w/M Sport, Convenience, Cold Weather, Heated Steering Wheel, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, Luxury Rear Seating, Integral Steering, Rear Seat Entertainment, HUD, Comfort Access, Side & Top view Cameras, Night Vision, 20" Wheels, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps

Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Attached a pic of my summer and winter wheels. Summer wheels as 20" with rft tires and mixed setup. Winter wheels 19" non-rft, same size in all corners.

Wanted softer ride on snowy roads. Also wheels that are easier to keep clean so no "open spokes" that take quite a bit of time to wash.

kingchorizo: One thing to be aware if you go 245/40R19 for all corners. Many BMW wheels, especially for GT5 are 9.5" wide on the rear, and 8.5" wide in the front. So it might be worth taking four front wheels if you put 245 wide rubber on it. If I recall right, taking into account the different width and offset, the front wheel does fit nicely to the rear as well. Just something to think about.

-p
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WInter_Summer_Comparison.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	477510  

Last edited by phuksi; 11-22-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 AM

Now that I've installed the new Winter wheels/tires, I also thought I do the side by side look

Summer wheels setup (for now)= OEM STYLE 303M 20" X 8.5" FRONT & 20" X 10.0"

Name:	CU_Side_View.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	480173

Winter wheel setup = 19x8.5 non-staggered Niche Targa Wheels w/Michelin X-Ice Rubber.

Name:	P1010394.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	480169
2012 550i GT w/M Sport, Convenience, Cold Weather, Heated Steering Wheel, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, Luxury Rear Seating, Integral Steering, Rear Seat Entertainment, HUD, Comfort Access, Side & Top view Cameras, Night Vision, 20" Wheels, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps

Last edited by kingchorizo; 12-08-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:59 AM

Both sets look nice... Would love to see you do the "Stormtrooper" look and black out your kidneys, wheels, badges, tails lamps, and chrome.

I need to find the part number for my old set of MSport 20s... Though it's not very imaginative, I'm thinking I want to put them on my new GT, come S/S '15.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1418025494.461770.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	480170

245/40R20 275/35R20
245/40R20 275/35R20

Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR550iGT View Post
Both sets look nice... Would love to see you do the "Stormtrooper" look and black out your kidneys, wheels, badges, tails lamps, and chrome
I'm thinking of that only issue is I don't believe I can change my grill due to the night vision or at least I don't believe you can as I haven't seen this anywhere here in the forums with a blacked out kidneys with the night vision option. Slowly but surely I have a few projects this winter I'd like to do on this baby, so will keep everyone posted with the gradual changes.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 AM

Unless your night vision camera is connected to your grilles, which, from your pictures, it doesn't look like it is, you should have no problem switching them out whatsoever.

245/40R20 275/35R20
245/40R20 275/35R20

Old 12-08-2014, 08:12 PM

From what I remember, the night vision sensor needs a cutout in the grill, and thus, requires a special version.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:39 AM

KingC: Did you put BMW emblem wheels caps on your aftermarket winters?

245/40R20 275/35R20
245/40R20 275/35R20