Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi
Sell or restore?

I could use a little advice. I've got an '85 635csi with 161,000 miles. I love it but bought another motorcycle and an e39 540i Sport as a daily driver. I can't bear to see it parked on the street, and along with my K75S, both bikes have to be in the garage, and the e39 too, right? The Shark's Bronzit paint is immaculate, except for some dings on the front spoiler. Mechanically it's now perfect, I sunk a fair amount of money into it getting the a/c and heater working properly and the coolant system repaired after the last owner decided to stop a coolant leak with anti-leak coolant (messed up both the heater and a/c). I updated the suspension with Bilsteins and H&R coils, and installed a short shifter. Runs like it's on rails. Now it's all about the front seats, new carpet and stereo. The seats need recovering in front, rear is fine, but age will probably make a color match impossible so maybe I need to redo all four seats? The carpet is stained and looks fine with the OEM mats, but I know what's underneath. And the stereo is a relatively new Alpine with Boston speakers in the rear (PO screwed down the pods though cause they wouldn't stay down I guess) and needs a sub-woofer and possibly new front speakers.

So my question is, I can probably get $4000-$5000 for it as is, but is it worth it to replace the carpet, recover the front seats (probably $3000) and fix the stereo ($500) before sale? Could the car possibly fetch $8000- $10,000? And if I did this work, wouldn't I just want to keep it anyway? I-I-I'm a junky for these Sharks. And why? Underpowered, clunky shifting, and a money pit. It's not a good daily car for me because the suspension is just a bit too dialed in now for city streets. Why do I love it so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120921_183334.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	353543   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120921_183434.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	353544  
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto: '81 528i, '73 2002
IMHO put your E39 on the street & preserve your beautiful E24 in the garage! You luv it 'cause you & me both are junkies for the early G.T. The one where you can actually feel the road & get the looks of envy & the thumbs up!! When you pass in front of a building with a large plate glass, do you check out your own profile,,,I do! Also, get new sheepskins. They'll feel soooo good in the summer & the winter!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 AM

Mein Auto: 635csi
Thanks. Sage words. And yes, since I've owned it, I've checked out the Shark's profile repeatedly. And others's too. I stood five minutes in front of an '87 in a parking lot just today. Yes, the e39 goes on the street, I will get seat protectors though not sheepskin, dont like them. Anybody have a set of those vinyl seat covers from Bavarian Auto? And Itook Champagne out for a drive yesterday and so loved the solid unwavering power of the inline six, may be the best motor BMW ever made.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
BAVARIAN500.COM

Mein Auto: E63, E24, C126AMG
Advice

Hey there,

I am going to tell you from experience, KEEP your E24... I did a FULL restoration on my baby, added E36 M3 Vader seats, and covered the interior with Black and E46 M3 cinnamon leather, added Rear Euro headrests etc...

I am mine on Ebay RIGHT NOW..... and well I am starting to get chocked up, and am actually thinking of ending the auction...... I just bought a Pre Merger AMG Mercedes 500sec coupe Euro Model 1983... And want to restore it......BUT since I have put my E24 on EBAY, I am starting to change my mind hahahah.... Im telling you, there is nothing sexier than a shark nose killer like the E24. Envy and compliments are worth keeping BUT to restore will take your 6er to a whole new level!!

Just something to think about.. Below is a link to my E24 635csi Tell me what you guys think?? Should I SELL her or go with my heart and keep her?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-6...item19d830508b
Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to crazy635 Send a message via MSN to crazy635 Send a message via Yahoo to crazy635 Send a message via Skype™ to crazy635
Mein Auto: bmw 635csi 1984 auto
POCKOMOTH mate listen...the 635csi its a Legend thats aLL i got to say. i got mine for over 4 years now, i love it , my misses loves it, my bros love it, my neighbours love it, my mates love it, and everytime i pull at the petrol station to fill the tank i get thumbs up and i stop for a chat if u wanna seLL it do it, but u will fell sorry later.

as for you Alpine635csi ...yes mate wicked jam jar u got there . i love the seats and the wheels are fat. in United kingdom that car will easy fetch 10G`s -12G`s $

ah guys check my profile and tell me what you think about my bloody SHARK ......