Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: E93 (in transit)
Good place to stay outside Salzburg (farm, castle, condo...)

We're planning to pick up our E93 at Easter, then jump in das auto and drive to Salzburg and base ourselves there at an apartment, farm, castle, hotel for a week doing day trips around the area.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a place outside the city center of Salzburg - say 3-20 miles outside Salzburg?

Ideally family friendly (we have 2 children). Safe parking (of course). Farm or castle would be nice. We're not trying to break the bank (das auto is the one already doing that).

Recommendations welcome.

ixsomerset
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
http://www.gasthaus-kugelmuehle.de/index_engl.php
We stayed here last summer and loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	berchtesgaden.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	353419  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i xdrive
I can heartily recommend the Hotel Garni Gablerhof in Bad Reichenhall. It is is the middle of the area and Heidi is a most gracious host. The hotel is by a stream and pond and is very quiet. The breakfasts are great and the parking is very good for your new E93. We loved it there. It was our best B&B in Germany.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsomerset View Post
We're planning to pick up our E93 at Easter, then jump in das auto and drive to Salzburg and base ourselves there at an apartment, farm, castle, hotel for a week doing day trips around the area.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a place outside the city center of Salzburg - say 3-20 miles outside Salzburg?

Ideally family friendly (we have 2 children). Safe parking (of course). Farm or castle would be nice. We're not trying to break the bank (das auto is the one already doing that).

Recommendations welcome.

ixsomerset
We stayed in Bad Reichenhall for 3 days, while we explored Salzburg and Eagles Nest area. Found the AMBER RESIDENZ Bavaria to be a great spot, nice breakfast, reasonably priced with lots of space for kids including an indoor pool & Spa. They also have "ready-furnished flats" ideal for your holidays. Easy walk to City Zentrum, restaurants, attractions, and museums. We totally enjoyed Bad Reichenhall - a wonderful city. Check out the Amber Residenz here.

http://www.amber-hotels.de/en/hotel-...-holiday-homes

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno_duc View Post
http://www.gasthaus-kugelmuehle.de/index_engl.php
We stayed here last summer and loved it.
+1 on the Kugelmuehle. We stayed there two years ago and used it as a multi-day base for the Salzburg and Berchtesgaden areas. It is very reasonably priced. It has open air, but private, convenient and secure parking. The son of the owner (and chef) is a Bimmer fan. Be sure to ask for one of the rooms that faces the mountains (south). You can see the Eagle's Nest from your balcony. While there head down to Ramsau and check out the church. A photo of this church is on the front cover of the 2012 DK Eyewitness Guide to Germany.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
+1 on the Kugelmuehle. We stayed there two years ago and used it as a multi-day base for the Salzburg and Berchtesgaden areas. It is very reasonably priced. It has open air, but private, convenient and secure parking. The son of the owner (and chef) is a Bimmer fan. Be sure to ask for one of the rooms that faces the mountains (south). You can see the Eagle's Nest from your balcony. While there head down to Ramsau and check out the church. A photo of this church is on the front cover of the 2012 DK Eyewitness Guide to Germany.
As is the owner, he took me for a ride around the "block" in his 535.
When I got back, the wife asked about my cheshire cat grin, to which I responded "Don't ask" ( it's amazing how quickly a 535 gets to 160 kph )
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
My family stayed at:

http://www.holidayhomes.org/austria/...ment-5981.html

for 4 days during our ED in June-July 2009 and it was so good we went back for another week in a non-ED 2010. The ad is self-explanatory, but is presently oriented towards winter bookings. There are also ads on other for-let-by-owner websites such as homelidays.com. I would also explain that the owners are a young British couple so there is little or no language problem. This property is the upstairs apartment in the house they own and live in, but they also manage some nearby properties for local owners wishing to let.

The house is at +47° 31' 53.40", +13° 25' 6.43" or Hefenscher 3, 5524 Hefenscher, Austria. That puts it about 1 hr from Salzburg but in the heart of a rural idyll.

Frank.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Go Dawgs!

Mein Auto: E60 550i SP
Hotel Schoene Aussicht

In 2008 we stayed at the Hotel Schoene Aussicht. It is just a few miles east of the downtown area, easy to get to, but in a really quiet and picturesque area. The wide open pasture on the west side facing the city looks like they could have filmed The Sound of Music right there.

We had a nice time staying there for two nights, and would stay there again if we ever go back to Salzburg.

Name:	7-23-08 (3).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	353516

Name:	Schone Aussicht (Salzburg Hotel).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	353517

Name:	7-22-08 (27).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	353518

Name:	7-22-08 (31).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	353519

Name:	7-22-08 (32).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	353520

Name:	7-22-08 (30).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	353521

IMHO: E39 < E60 > F10

2011 F10 535xi (ED July 15, 2011)
2008 E60 550i (ED July 22, 2008)
2000 E39 540i (Retired)

Member BMWCCA #402733
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Was at the Bloberger Hof farmhouse-turned-into-B&B just a few days ago: http://www.blobergerhof.at/en/

Highly rated by Tripadvisor, and lived up to all expectations... Wonderful service, great food (dinner available as well as breakfast) and generous character accommodations for about 80-100€/night, though it might be more by Easter. It's about 4 miles from Salzburg's altstadt and in a quiet part of town, outdoor parking is unsecured but lots of space and never felt like the car would be at risk.

dj blitz
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
Not inexpensive, but very nice. Hotel Schloss Monchstein.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rian_Alps.html
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: E93 (in transit)
Beautiful, but a bit top end. Managed to get the Sofitel Munich on Priceline for $125/night (allegedly 5 star), but this is a bit higher at $350. Looks amazing though.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
Makes sense. That's a great deal for the sleek and stylish Sofitel, a very good hotel; it is conveniently located next to the train station (though I don't love the immediate surrounding area, most others like the location very much). Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
I don't want to come off like an advertiser but I have had great success using Booking.com for all my European reservations over the past few years. I stay away from the chain hotels and try to stay in the mom and pop run B&Bs and Gasthauses. We rarely spend over $100 a night and breakfast is included. I find it a much more personal and "European" experience to stay where the other Europeans go. What I like about Booking.com is that they use a rating system much like TripAdvisor's. I throw out the low and high ratings and use the other reviews to determine whether I want to stay at the property. Most of the complaints I run across are from Americans who have probably never stayed in an European hotel before. They confuse "charm" and "history" with "old" and "dingy".

In 35 years of visiting Germany (maybe 300 hotel nights) I have never stayed in a dirty or disgusting accomodation. I can't always claim they had enough heat, adequate parking, modern bathrooms or easy access, but I have always gotten a good night's rest at a fair price. That's why we go back every year. I'm already planning next year's Christmas trip through Bavaria and the Black Forest.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (on order)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
+1 booking.com

also checkout homeaway.com

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878