Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Stalling 328i

Would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas. I've done some searching but haven't seen the same symptoms (stalling, running rough and underhood squeeling / fine after re-start).

Have a 2007 328i that stalls intermittently while driving on freeway. Typically it will stall from 40mph or less when I let off the gas and slow down.

If I do a fast re-start (to get started in traffic again), it will typically continue to run rough and do it again, and again. If I can stop for a moment, turn it off and re-start after a 10 to 20 second wait, the problem goes away until the next time which could be days or weeks later.

It also runs rough during these times. If I come to a stop, it feels as though the whole car is shaking like it's running on 4 or 5 cylinders, and there is a constant fairly loud squeeling coming from under the hood like a belt is slipping. I'll shut it off, wait 10 to 20 seconds, re-start, and the car seems to run normally.

I find this all happens about once to twice a week with putting about 500 miles a week on the car.

It seemed to help to let the car fully warm up before I drove it for a period of time there, but that may have been wishful thinking as it is doing it now even after a warm up period.

Thanks for any ideas. Iv'e got to crawl under the hood here soon and see if I can trace out the problem.

Car has 120k miles.
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
You need this and this. Without codes it's guesswork.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You need this and this. Without codes it's guesswork.
The problem seems to be is I'm not getting any "service engine soon" lights either before or after the stall. If the service engine light is not on, it's not seeing or storing fault codes, is it?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverp View Post
The problem seems to be is I'm not getting any "service engine soon" lights either before or after the stall. If the service engine light is not on, it's not seeing or storing fault codes, is it?
Cars can store codes before deciding to throw the MIL light.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Finally got my code reader back, and have been running it for two weeks.

There were no retrievable codes when I first connected the reader.

Over the last two weeks, I've experienced stalls 4 different times. During the stalls, nothing showed on the reader. There was no service engine soon light. No fault codes stored or retrieved.

Last night took a quick run to the store after the car sat all day. After a 1 mile trip, I park at the store and I get the same thing....horribly running engine as though it's missing on a couple cylinders, and the squeeling from under the hood. I cannot pinpoint what it is that is squeeling specifically.

It does seem to happen after the car has sat for a period of time (overnight) and after it has sat for a period of time cold days, regardless of how long I let it warm up.

And, same deal...once this happens, or I catch it running rough, I'll shut it down, wait 10 to 20 seconds, re-start, and it runs normally.

Does this seem like it is the camshaft position sensor, given that I've gotten no fault codes?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Squealing and fussy engine .. My guess is alternator or something messing with the belt driving the alternator.

I had weird rpm drops in the past but they were related to a busted battery sensor and later weak battery. No squeals.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverp View Post

After a 1 mile trip, I park at the store and I get the same thing....horribly running engine as though it's missing on a couple cylinders, and the squeeling from under the hood. I cannot pinpoint what it is that is squeeling specifically.

It does seem to happen after the car has sat for a period of time

If it can't be located, then clearly, it can't possibly be the belt, which [most of the time] is easily found. So. After much thought and meditation, I find: A cat has been using your car for heat in cold weather.

Wiley creatures given to benign malevolence, these perverse animals take advantage of any comfort regardless of their effect on human 'masters.' Many view them as on par with mosquitoes, curse and pox to mankind.

Measures must be taken. Recommend: Electric charge. A high voltage, low amperage potential will cause even the most demented feline to choose another opportunity. Any 12v electric fence base unit will yield handsome result.

Some mount crucifixes to every engine compartment entry. Caution! Hanging a crucifix upside-down will attract cats.

Avoid garlic. Though pleasant to some, lingering odoriferousness can be a social liability.

Please take action! You and many others will be working for Darwinian Improvement! Through the wonder of Natural Selection, this vile feline habit will be eradicated, another example of how behavioral conditioning improves our lives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb up 04.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	354199

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.