Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM
325es1988 325es1988 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive 28i
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Really curious to see if there are any s28i owners that are adhering to an engine break in period. I suppose this goes to owners that are planning to keep their car for more then 5 years.

My forum research shows there are 2 trains of thought.

1.) Constant speeds below 100mph. Keep throttle under 4K rpm. Follow this for the first 2500 mi. Afterwards get an oil change to remove any deposits, metal, etc but do not reset the regular oil change interval.

2.) Wide Open Throttle (WOT) at varying distances and for various ranges in order to set the rings and pistons. According to the theory this will help ensure that you get the most from your engine in the long run. Again up to 2500miles and oil change after.

Spoke with 2 different CA's. First states that these engines don't need it. 2nd where I actually purchased said to follow #1 (sans the oil change).

Thoughts/opinions?

(I've also read some interesting ways to break in the breaks as well - perhaps a different discussion or not applicable to our 4 banger?)
__________________
2013 sDrive 28i X1
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 AM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I plan to adhere to the break in procedure recommendations outlined in the owners manual.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
whitby whitby is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 217
Mein Auto: BMW
Following the procedures in the owners manual (max 4000 rpm, under 100 mph for 1200 miles if I remember correctly) with the proviso that we are driving the vehicle under a number of conditions (varying loads and speeds for 1200 miles).

We will get an oil and filter change when the 1200 miles are complete.
__________________
Cheers

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
two-five boy two-five boy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Queens, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I broke-in my previous BMW by driving it below 3k rpms during the first 4-500 miles, no more than medium throttle either during that time. Then I progressively increased the rpm to about 4k by 1000 miles, no more than medium throttle as well. By 1500 miles I had rpms up to 5k in a few instances, even though its absolutely unnecessary as everyone knows.The most difficult part of the break-in process was to vary the RPMs constantly, esp. at steady highway speeds.
__________________
2013 X1 28i Sport - AW/Coral Red/Ultimate/Cold/Lighting (Delivered on 12/8/12)
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity - AW/Blk/Aluminum (GONE)
2005 X3 3.0 (GONE)
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
bptsull bptsull is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Upstate NY
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: 2014 X1
curious to see some more opinions on this...anybody care to share how they broke in their engine?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM
stonex1's Avatar
stonex1 stonex1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 585
Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I'm no engineer, but I do like to(or try to) understand more about the break in procedures.

For my purchase, I kinda followed the break in. Our dealer is a 9 hour drive away on different various highways with different terrain and speeds.
Here's what I figure, if it ain't broken in after that, it probably won't make a difference what I do after.
Since the motor ran at different RPM's at normal operating temps for a looooooong period of time(9 hours), I figure that should about do it.

Just my 2 cents.

But again, I would follow what the manual says to do whether I was a track driver, or granny driver. ('m somewhere in the middle)

I too, like to hear what experience drivers have to say, or race car drivers, or engineers. Its very interesting.
__________________
2013 X1
MinGrey,Xenon,HK,PwrSeats,Sirius,XLine,Nav
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

For those trying to break in on a highway road trip...

Use the manual shift mode and change the gears frequently. Vary gears based on speed to keep rpms below 4k.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Dude, if you want to keep your car for a long time, then follow the break in procedure, that is just no brainer.

If the car is leased then you can either follow or drive it like you stole it!

Simple as that!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM
eric9610 eric9610 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
So i followed the direction in the manual since i plan on keeping my car for over 5years. The manual clearly states Max speed 80MPH, Max RPM 4k for 1200miles. I do recommend driving it at varying speeds below 80. Since all our cars have computers (black boxes) that record your driving BMW could void your warranty claim if you do not adhere to break-in procedure (leased or purchased).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM
George Allan George Allan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario , Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 219
Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
I followed the owners manuel.


George Allan
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
So i followed the direction in the manual since i plan on keeping my car for over 5years. The manual clearly states Max speed 80MPH, Max RPM 4k for 1200miles. I do recommend driving it at varying speeds below 80. Since all our cars have computers (black boxes) that record your driving BMW could void your warranty claim if you do not adhere to break-in procedure (leased or purchased).
Legally your warranty cannot be voided based on black box data.

If a dealer tells you otherwise...lawyer up.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
eric9610 eric9610 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
Black box data can and has been used to void warranty by many manufacturers. Nissan and BMW have voided warranty for clutch abuse on DSG type transmission. There are binding terms when you sign a purchase agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
Black box data can and has been used to void warranty by many manufacturers. Nissan and BMW have voided warranty for clutch abuse on DSG type transmission. There are binding terms when you sign a purchase agreement.
I read mine thoroughly and nothing in it stated that they are allowed to access that data without my consent.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 AM
eric9610 eric9610 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
I read mine thoroughly and nothing in it stated that they are allowed to access that data without my consent.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I am telling you they can and have used the data to determine abuse of the car. You are claiming a warranty that they cover, there are stipulations to that warranty. it would be the same thing as if you have a DCT and the clutch went out in 10K miles. if BMW reads the Black Box data and determines excessive use of the launch control your warranty will be voided. There are many cases of GTR owners burning out the DCT clutch in 3000 miles and nissan has read the data and voided warranty. The book says there is a procedure to follow and you disregard it. It would be the same thing as neglecting an oil change then when your engine seize you want BMW to cover it.

Its fine if you don't give consent ( i think you give it wen you take your car in for service) BMW does not have to warranty your car.

If it is stated in writing and you don't follow the instruction it is on you!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

I would be curious to see the data on how the car was driven before I took delivery. Hopefully no one went crazy since it was an ordered vehicle.

My guess is many many on the lot models have been driven past the break in guidelines. I know the ones I test drive were


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM
eric9610 eric9610 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
Why do you think your purchase agreement states the milage on the car......
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 PM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Over the past 10 years visiting the forums, I have only seen a few instances of warranty denials. None of them had anything to do with exceeding break-in guidelines. I doubt the black-box even keeps track of it.

I exceeded the guidelines a few times accidentally, but I'm not worried in the least about warranty coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Over the past 10 years visiting the forums, I have only seen a few instances of warranty denials. None of them had anything to do with exceeding break-in guidelines. I doubt the black-box even keeps track of it.

I exceeded the guidelines a few times accidentally, but I'm not worried in the least about warranty coverage.
You can't avoid it at certain times.

Sometimes you need to rev it to avoid an accident such as merging etc. You may also need to pass someone and exceed the 80 mph limit.

This is why I would see it hard for them to legally deny a warranty claim based on that data.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Over the past 10 years visiting the forums, I have only seen a few instances of warranty denials. None of them had anything to do with exceeding break-in guidelines. I doubt the black-box even keeps track of it.

I exceeded the guidelines a few times accidentally, but I'm not worried in the least about warranty coverage.
Just remember its like only 30% of the BMW owners use the forums the rest are either low tech or don't care at all lol.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Ex-One Ex-One is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: RX-8
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Just remember its like only 30% of the BMW owners use the forums the rest are either low tech or don't care at all lol.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Probably closer to 1%. It's a decent sample size but not demographic.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Teemo Panda's Avatar
Teemo Panda Teemo Panda is offline
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 851
Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Probably closer to 1%. It's a decent sample size but not demographic.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ohh wow, there you go!



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM
3drockz 3drockz is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 71
Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
Not knowing about the breaking in period, I hit 6500rpm (for a few seconds) to get my brand new 2014 X1 to reach 70mph uphill... I want to know if this could've done any harm to my engine or warranty :|

(New to BMWs, so any advise would be helpful)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
dgkfl dgkfl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 155
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Look, break-in these days is art, not science, and is hypothetical. Don't let anyone panic you.

I personally would not worry about occasional excursions above 4000 rpm. The reality is with an automatic, you can't completely control such things. I also have never heard of a warranty claim being denied by any manufacturer ever for failure to follow break-in guidelines, and I doubt very seriously that the issue would ever come up. (We are not talking about over-revving or racing here, just normal driving).

Despite claims to the contrary, I would love someone to document a case of any manufacturer denying a warranty claim based on normal driving for failing to follow break-in guidelines. I'll believe it when I see it.

The point is on break in, you want to treat the engine gently, and don't let it sit at a constant RPM for a long time. If you fail to do this, what will happen? Most likely nothing, certainly not within the warranty period. Will you reduce the longevity of the engine? I doubt anyone really knows for sure. Maybe.

Some people swear the best way to break in an engine is to "loosen it up" by beating the crap out of it (get the piston rings to settle or some such nonsense) and then will tell you their engines have lasted 350,000 miles.

Don't sweat it; just use common sense. I personally try to stay within the guidelines for the first thousand miles or so, and then gradually give it brief excursions over 4000 rpm, eventually to redline, over the next 500 miles. I've never had any problem that I could imagine was traced to break in in my 39 years of driving (many new cars).
__________________
David

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM
stonex1's Avatar
stonex1 stonex1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 585
Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkfl View Post
Look, break-in these days is art, not science, and is hypothetical. Don't let anyone panic you.

I personally would not worry about occasional excursions above 4000 rpm. The reality is with an automatic, you can't completely control such things. I also have never heard of a warranty claim being denied by any manufacturer ever for failure to follow break-in guidelines, and I doubt very seriously that the issue would ever come up. (We are not talking about over-revving or racing here, just normal driving).

Despite claims to the contrary, I would love someone to document a case of any manufacturer denying a warranty claim based on normal driving for failing to follow break-in guidelines. I'll believe it when I see it.

The point is on break in, you want to treat the engine gently, and don't let it sit at a constant RPM for a long time. If you fail to do this, what will happen? Most likely nothing, certainly not within the warranty period. Will you reduce the longevity of the engine? I doubt anyone really knows for sure. Maybe.

Some people swear the best way to break in an engine is to "loosen it up" by beating the crap out of it (get the piston rings to settle or some such nonsense) and then will tell you their engines have lasted 350,000 miles.

Don't sweat it; just use common sense. I personally try to stay within the guidelines for the first thousand miles or so, and then gradually give it brief excursions over 4000 rpm, eventually to redline, over the next 500 miles. I've never had any problem that I could imagine was traced to break in in my 39 years of driving (many new cars).
+1
Well said.
__________________
2013 X1
MinGrey,Xenon,HK,PwrSeats,Sirius,XLine,Nav
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
+2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms