Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive 28i
Anyone doing engine "break in" on their s28i?

Really curious to see if there are any s28i owners that are adhering to an engine break in period. I suppose this goes to owners that are planning to keep their car for more then 5 years.

My forum research shows there are 2 trains of thought.

1.) Constant speeds below 100mph. Keep throttle under 4K rpm. Follow this for the first 2500 mi. Afterwards get an oil change to remove any deposits, metal, etc but do not reset the regular oil change interval.

2.) Wide Open Throttle (WOT) at varying distances and for various ranges in order to set the rings and pistons. According to the theory this will help ensure that you get the most from your engine in the long run. Again up to 2500miles and oil change after.

Spoke with 2 different CA's. First states that these engines don't need it. 2nd where I actually purchased said to follow #1 (sans the oil change).

Thoughts/opinions?

(I've also read some interesting ways to break in the breaks as well - perhaps a different discussion or not applicable to our 4 banger?)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I plan to adhere to the break in procedure recommendations outlined in the owners manual.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Following the procedures in the owners manual (max 4000 rpm, under 100 mph for 1200 miles if I remember correctly) with the proviso that we are driving the vehicle under a number of conditions (varying loads and speeds for 1200 miles).

We will get an oil and filter change when the 1200 miles are complete.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I broke-in my previous BMW by driving it below 3k rpms during the first 4-500 miles, no more than medium throttle either during that time. Then I progressively increased the rpm to about 4k by 1000 miles, no more than medium throttle as well. By 1500 miles I had rpms up to 5k in a few instances, even though its absolutely unnecessary as everyone knows.The most difficult part of the break-in process was to vary the RPMs constantly, esp. at steady highway speeds.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
curious to see some more opinions on this...anybody care to share how they broke in their engine?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I'm no engineer, but I do like to(or try to) understand more about the break in procedures.

For my purchase, I kinda followed the break in. Our dealer is a 9 hour drive away on different various highways with different terrain and speeds.
Here's what I figure, if it ain't broken in after that, it probably won't make a difference what I do after.
Since the motor ran at different RPM's at normal operating temps for a looooooong period of time(9 hours), I figure that should about do it.

Just my 2 cents.

But again, I would follow what the manual says to do whether I was a track driver, or granny driver. ('m somewhere in the middle)

I too, like to hear what experience drivers have to say, or race car drivers, or engineers. Its very interesting.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8

For those trying to break in on a highway road trip...

Use the manual shift mode and change the gears frequently. Vary gears based on speed to keep rpms below 4k.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Dude, if you want to keep your car for a long time, then follow the break in procedure, that is just no brainer.

If the car is leased then you can either follow or drive it like you stole it!

Simple as that!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 35
So i followed the direction in the manual since i plan on keeping my car for over 5years. The manual clearly states Max speed 80MPH, Max RPM 4k for 1200miles. I do recommend driving it at varying speeds below 80. Since all our cars have computers (black boxes) that record your driving BMW could void your warranty claim if you do not adhere to break-in procedure (leased or purchased).
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
I followed the owners manuel.

George Allan
Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
So i followed the direction in the manual since i plan on keeping my car for over 5years. The manual clearly states Max speed 80MPH, Max RPM 4k for 1200miles. I do recommend driving it at varying speeds below 80. Since all our cars have computers (black boxes) that record your driving BMW could void your warranty claim if you do not adhere to break-in procedure (leased or purchased).
Legally your warranty cannot be voided based on black box data.

If a dealer tells you otherwise...lawyer up.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Black box data can and has been used to void warranty by many manufacturers. Nissan and BMW have voided warranty for clutch abuse on DSG type transmission. There are binding terms when you sign a purchase agreement.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
Black box data can and has been used to void warranty by many manufacturers. Nissan and BMW have voided warranty for clutch abuse on DSG type transmission. There are binding terms when you sign a purchase agreement.
I read mine thoroughly and nothing in it stated that they are allowed to access that data without my consent.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
I read mine thoroughly and nothing in it stated that they are allowed to access that data without my consent.

I am telling you they can and have used the data to determine abuse of the car. You are claiming a warranty that they cover, there are stipulations to that warranty. it would be the same thing as if you have a DCT and the clutch went out in 10K miles. if BMW reads the Black Box data and determines excessive use of the launch control your warranty will be voided. There are many cases of GTR owners burning out the DCT clutch in 3000 miles and nissan has read the data and voided warranty. The book says there is a procedure to follow and you disregard it. It would be the same thing as neglecting an oil change then when your engine seize you want BMW to cover it.

Its fine if you don't give consent ( i think you give it wen you take your car in for service) BMW does not have to warranty your car.

If it is stated in writing and you don't follow the instruction it is on you!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM

I would be curious to see the data on how the car was driven before I took delivery. Hopefully no one went crazy since it was an ordered vehicle.

My guess is many many on the lot models have been driven past the break in guidelines. I know the ones I test drive were

Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Why do you think your purchase agreement states the milage on the car......
Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Over the past 10 years visiting the forums, I have only seen a few instances of warranty denials. None of them had anything to do with exceeding break-in guidelines. I doubt the black-box even keeps track of it.

I exceeded the guidelines a few times accidentally, but I'm not worried in the least about warranty coverage.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Over the past 10 years visiting the forums, I have only seen a few instances of warranty denials. None of them had anything to do with exceeding break-in guidelines. I doubt the black-box even keeps track of it.

I exceeded the guidelines a few times accidentally, but I'm not worried in the least about warranty coverage.
You can't avoid it at certain times.

Sometimes you need to rev it to avoid an accident such as merging etc. You may also need to pass someone and exceed the 80 mph limit.

This is why I would see it hard for them to legally deny a warranty claim based on that data.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post

Just remember its like only 30% of the BMW owners use the forums the rest are either low tech or don't care at all lol.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Just remember its like only 30% of the BMW owners use the forums the rest are either low tech or don't care at all lol.

Probably closer to 1%. It's a decent sample size but not demographic.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Probably closer to 1%. It's a decent sample size but not demographic.

Ohh wow, there you go!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 x128
Not knowing about the breaking in period, I hit 6500rpm (for a few seconds) to get my brand new 2014 X1 to reach 70mph uphill... I want to know if this could've done any harm to my engine or warranty :|

(New to BMWs, so any advise would be helpful)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
Look, break-in these days is art, not science, and is hypothetical. Don't let anyone panic you.

I personally would not worry about occasional excursions above 4000 rpm. The reality is with an automatic, you can't completely control such things. I also have never heard of a warranty claim being denied by any manufacturer ever for failure to follow break-in guidelines, and I doubt very seriously that the issue would ever come up. (We are not talking about over-revving or racing here, just normal driving).

Despite claims to the contrary, I would love someone to document a case of any manufacturer denying a warranty claim based on normal driving for failing to follow break-in guidelines. I'll believe it when I see it.

The point is on break in, you want to treat the engine gently, and don't let it sit at a constant RPM for a long time. If you fail to do this, what will happen? Most likely nothing, certainly not within the warranty period. Will you reduce the longevity of the engine? I doubt anyone really knows for sure. Maybe.

Some people swear the best way to break in an engine is to "loosen it up" by beating the crap out of it (get the piston rings to settle or some such nonsense) and then will tell you their engines have lasted 350,000 miles.

Don't sweat it; just use common sense. I personally try to stay within the guidelines for the first thousand miles or so, and then gradually give it brief excursions over 4000 rpm, eventually to redline, over the next 500 miles. I've never had any problem that I could imagine was traced to break in in my 39 years of driving (many new cars).

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkfl View Post
Look, break-in these days is art, not science, and is hypothetical. Don't let anyone panic you.

I personally would not worry about occasional excursions above 4000 rpm. The reality is with an automatic, you can't completely control such things. I also have never heard of a warranty claim being denied by any manufacturer ever for failure to follow break-in guidelines, and I doubt very seriously that the issue would ever come up. (We are not talking about over-revving or racing here, just normal driving).

Despite claims to the contrary, I would love someone to document a case of any manufacturer denying a warranty claim based on normal driving for failing to follow break-in guidelines. I'll believe it when I see it.

The point is on break in, you want to treat the engine gently, and don't let it sit at a constant RPM for a long time. If you fail to do this, what will happen? Most likely nothing, certainly not within the warranty period. Will you reduce the longevity of the engine? I doubt anyone really knows for sure. Maybe.

Some people swear the best way to break in an engine is to "loosen it up" by beating the crap out of it (get the piston rings to settle or some such nonsense) and then will tell you their engines have lasted 350,000 miles.

Don't sweat it; just use common sense. I personally try to stay within the guidelines for the first thousand miles or so, and then gradually give it brief excursions over 4000 rpm, eventually to redline, over the next 500 miles. I've never had any problem that I could imagine was traced to break in in my 39 years of driving (many new cars).
+1
Well said.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 AM

+2