Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E91 328i Sport
Unhappy Bad bearing noise (with Video)

I've got a really nasty bearing noise on my 2007 328i. I replaced both the idler and tensioner pulleys this morning and it didn't solve the issue (although they probably needed to be replaced soon anyway). The noise is dependent on RPM and is not there if I start the car with out the belt attached. It doesn't make any change in noise from moving the steering wheels.

Air conditioner or alternator bearing?

_a_
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i ZSP
This is what I would use to find it http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM

You should be able to find a similar item at a local parts store. Poke around the base of all the components that are on the belt. When you find the noise it is very obvious. Does the pitch change when you turn the steering wheel? I believe the power steering pump spins at about the same RPM as the pitch of the noise I hear in the video.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
This is what I would use to find it http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM

You should be able to find a similar item at a local parts store. Poke around the base of all the components that are on the belt. When you find the noise it is very obvious. Does the pitch change when you turn the steering wheel? I believe the power steering pump spins at about the same RPM as the pitch of the noise I hear in the video.
It's dependent on RPM, but not the steering wheel. I believe it's the alternator, so I've ordered a reman bosch unit...

Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
That almost sounds like VANOS noise. Glad you figured it out and was far cheaper!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
That almost sounds like VANOS noise. Glad you figured it out and was far cheaper!
Hopefully!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Barkles, The alternator has an Overrunning Alternator Decoupler type pulley. It is actually a sprag clutch with a spring in it to absorb shock. The pulley is replaceable and can be ordered by the dealer. Cost is about $85. Take the belt off and lock the alternator by putting a screwdriver though the housing and against the armature. See if you can spin the pulley. It should only go in one direction and lock in the other and it should be smooth. If it goes in both directions or is locked in both directions or feels rough when you spin it, it is bad. Mine was locked in both directions and it caused a knocking noise when I started the car. Only when the starter was cranking. It drove me crazy until Suthtow chimed it. I had also already replaced my tensioner and idler to no avail.

The pulleys do go bad and the recommended replacement interval is at about 80k miles. My failure mode was locked in both directions. The only possible problem that would cause would be a broken tensioner. If the pulley bearing goes dry, it will make noise like yours and it can start slipping, overheat and come off.

Your new alternator will have a new pulley so you are covered there. The pulley only replacement will save you money though.

Last edited by jburke4689; 12-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post
Barkles, The alternator has an Overrunning Alternator Decoupler type pulley. It is actually a sprag clutch with a spring in it to absorb shock. The pulley is replaceable and can be ordered by the dealer. Cost is about $85. Take the belt off and lock the alternator by putting a screwdriver though the housing and against the armature. See if you can spin the pulley. It should only go in one direction and lock in the other and it should be smooth. If it goes in both directions or is locked in both directions or feels rough when you spin it, it is bad. Mine was locked in both directions and it caused a knocking noise when I started the car. Only when the starter was cranking. It drove me crazy until Suthtow chimed it. I had also already replaced my tensioner and idler to no avail.

The pulleys do go bad and the recommended replacement interval is at about 80k miles. My failure mode was locked in both directions. The only possible problem that would cause would be a broken tensioner. If the pulley bearing goes dry, it will make noise like yours and it can start slipping, overheat and come off.

Your new alternator will have a new pulley so you are covered there. The pulley only replacement will save you money though.
Wow, thank you so much for this information hopefully others will find this thread when they search.

So do you think my Alternator pulley is bad from what you've seen in the video? I will try what you suggested when I get home to test. I'm glad I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley anyway since they were spinning pretty freely.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 AM

I tested last night and the bearing must be seized because it won't move in either direction. I think it hosed the alternator because the whole inside of the unit moved up and down with the shaft.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkles View Post
I've got a really nasty bearing noise on my 2007 328i.

Having absolutely no relevance to your post, where's a guy eat in Ventura?

Cajun place just OK for breakfast; Watermark good but highly priced.

Your faves?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Your faves?
You're killin' me ....
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Your faves?
Watermark has a great bar on the roof, but it's an older crowd (like most of Ventura lol)

Breakfast: Pete's Breakfast House, Allison's Country Cafe, Cafe 126
Mexican: Casa de Soria, Johnny's or Coralles
Italian: Ferraro's, Dominick's in Oxnard
Masa Sushi in Camarillo
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I tested last night and the bearing must be seized because it won't move in either direction. I think it hosed the alternator because the whole inside of the unit moved up and down with the shaft.
Did your reman come with a pulley?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Did your reman come with a pulley?
It sounds like it...

Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
You're killin' me ....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-20-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Watermark has a great bar on the roof, but it's an older crowd (like most of Ventura lol)

Breakfast: Pete's Breakfast House, Allison's Country Cafe, Cafe 126
Mexican: Casa de Soria, Johnny's or Coralles
Italian: Ferraro's, Dominick's in Oxnard
Masa Sushi in Camarillo

Thx! Give 'er a shot soon....
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 335i 2011
Quote:

While I was searching around the net I came across this post. Could you share a link, part number or anything to find this pulley they are selling for the alternator. Because I'm having the same problem, and my dealer says that I have to change the whole alternator.

Would appreciate any help to direct me to a solution in a cheaper way...

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:

Your faves?
Yelp is handy for finding good places to eat, as you can see the many reviews from residents and other visitors
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-GeN View Post
While I was searching around the net I came across this post. Could you share a link, part number or anything to find this pulley they are selling for the alternator. Because I'm having the same problem, and my dealer says that I have to change the whole alternator.

Would appreciate any help to direct me to a solution in a cheaper way...

Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't know the answer to where you could just buy a new clutch pulley as the bad clutch pulley took the rest of my alternator with it. A rebuilt OEM unit is around $300 from RockAuto. Sure beats the prices the dealer wants for a new unit. Few years later mine is still running strong.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 AM

For my car, the part number was 12317560678. I got it at www.getbmwparts.com. I have a 2007 BMW 335i.