BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Shift Paddles Retrofit

94K views 132 replies 27 participants last post by  estebanfree 
#1 ·
I'm F20 118i owner, and my F20 come with 205 AT gearbox without shift paddles.
After read through realOEM I started to try retrofit the shift paddles, I've ordered the +/- paddles set and the steering wheel connecting cable.

I've changed the FA 205 with 2TB, then CODE the whole SVT tree, but the shift paddles still can't work. May I get any hints that if I need to add/modify additional FA? Or I can't retrofit shift paddles just simply by coding?

Thanks.

#2 ·
After you added 2TB to your VO, you activated that VO before coding the SVT Tree? And when you coded the SVT, it was CODE and not Code FDL?

#3 ·
My steps in E-sys:

Expert Mode->Coding, Read Vehicle Order, Read (VCM), Save the xml, Edit

FA-Editor, right click FA, calculate FP, goto SALAPA-Element, changed 205 to 2TB, apply, calculate FP, save

return to Export Mode->Coding, Load the xml, right click on FA, activate FA, Read (VCM), single click on the root SVT then click Code button

#6 ·
Checked EGS / 3000 Applikation / Sportschalter and Sportschalter_alt, both are aktiv already, and I even changed KOMBI / 3000 Anzeige Konfiguration / SPA_SPORT_ENABLE from nicht_aktiv to aktiv, still can't make the paddles works.

Any other coding I should try?

#7 ·
Off the top of my head, I don't know what else would be needed to enable the Paddles. I will do a little more digging around though.

#8 ·
Not familiar with this chassis, but do you have an SZL/SWS module? Check in there. That's the steering control module that your wheel is mounted to. It's the primary electrical connection from the steering wheel to the car. You'll probably see a schaltwippen or other setting that needs to be enabled.

#9 ·
Good point. I didn't think about the SZL steering column control unit, only EGS and KOMBI. Maybe VO Coding SZL will enable it.

#14 ·
S255A Sports leather steering wheel vs. S710A M leather steering wheel
P7ACA BMW Sport Line
P957A HK-Paket

#17 ·
Hey, simonchs, I also own an 118i with the 205 8AT transmission, and I am very interested in retrofitting paddle shifters myself.
I haven´t purchased any of the parts I need to do this yet, but I was wondering - when you changed the coding from 205 to 2TB was there any difference in your gearbox' behaviour?
I mean, did the gear changes get any faster, and more importantly, when driving in sport+ mode does the gearbox now let the engine hit the rev limiter instead of upshifting automatically?

Cheers!

#24 ·
Unfortunately there is not. :bawling:

You cannot create text trace files in E-Sys like you can in NCS Expert.

#27 · (Edited)
Yes, I have added the 2XA with 2TB but I got nothing, cos sowftware of my car has got in the Module ICM (CAFD_0000067B_002_002_0049) C_MF_LENKRAD, VALUE=INSTALLED, so disable the SALAPA element 2XA in all models F2X and F3X. so I´ll have to upgrade car's firmware, cos now is posible to order your car with the 2XA option.

In addition, in our cars 2TB option does not exist, therefore if you program your car with this, this will be ignored and it will work with the default which is 205. Calculate FD doesnt give a error becouse the instruction is OK, but not for ours cars, the program is not able to recognize the different configurations made by BMW, to judge whether they are right or not

#28 ·
What do you mean 2TB does not exist? 2TB is a valid Option Code for both the F20 and F25, so replacing 205 in FA with 2TB and then VO Coding the car should be no problem. :dunno:

#30 ·
Ok, that makes sense then if it can't be ordered on the smaller displacement motors.

However, I would still expect E-Sys to be unable to calculate FP if an option code such as 2TB was used with an incompatible motor. And right or wrong, if it did successfully calculate FP, I would then expect it to properly VO Code the car for 2TB. :confused:

#39 · (Edited)
Why would it? It will only have one of the 3, either 2TB, 2XA, or 7XA.

The Steering Wheel in covered by S249A Multifunction f steering wheel, and S710A M leather steering wheel.

#81 ·
Not, but I've done some progress, now I know that the wires from the paddles do not end in the switch selector box, they should end in some module lille JBE, CAS4, but I have no idea. I need someone tell me where they end.

I have a clue, but I not sure, there are a guy that he wrote this
"I have a 2011 335d. After quite a bit of comparison to oem equipped and not equipped 2XA cars, and after extensive extensive examination of wiring schematics as it pertains to the paddles/slip ring/steering module/JBE/tranny module, there are 2 important wires missing which go from the output of the JBE (junction box, which is behind glove compartment) into a harness plug and then to the transmission module. Input side wiring coming from JBE into this plug is missing even though output side wiring going to tranny is present."

Any help will be welcome

#83 ·
after compare the harness with M135i, found that the 118i missed one pin from steering wheel slip ring to FEM module (proved shift paddles signal), and finally the shift paddles retrofit is success!!

all you need are:
- make your DIY cable from slip ring to FEM module
- VO change 205 to 2TB and CODE the SVT tree
- get the new connecting cable inside the steering wheel with 2 paddles plugs
- and, of cos., a pair of shift paddles and a new steering wheel which able to place the paddles

pin details from slip ring to FEM will be posted after I consolidate all info.

#85 ·
after compare the harness with M135i, found that the 118i missed one pin from steering wheel slip ring to FEM module (proved shift paddles signal), and finally the shift paddles retrofit is success!!

all you need are:
- make your DIY cable from slip ring to FEM module
- VO change 205 to 2TB and CODE the SVT tree
- get the new connecting cable inside the steering wheel with 2 paddles plugs
- and, of cos., a pair of shift paddles and a new steering wheel which able to place the paddles

pin details from slip ring to FEM will be posted after I consolidate all info.
Hi Simonchs,

I only need to know the wiring diagram from the steering wheel slip ring to FEM cos I did all the work before so, can you tell me which pins are and plug is? Did you some photos?

Tnank you in advance

#87 ·
In case no one has found out yet, I have gathered some information. However, they are NOT TESTED AND VERIFIED. It would be nice if someone can test and write up a DIY.

The wire should goes from pin 3 of A83*2B connector on slip ring to pin 5 of A173*7B connector on FEM.

For the connector location of FEM, this post can be referred to:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808444

Cannot find any information on the slip ring connector.

The wire should be inserted into connectors similar to the "Slipring to Shifter" harness in this post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600729

#88 ·
almost forgot to supply more information on this thread :p

and yes, as FThoseSelfishBs said, the wire should go between pin 5 of A173*7B connector on FEM, and pin 3 of A83*2B under the slip ring

you will need to replace the "connecting line" with p/n 32306854769 in the steering wheel too

for the female pin connectors of the retrofit wire between FEM and slip ring, you can disassemble the old connecting line and get the female pin connectors :p

Attachments

#92 ·
Hey this is my first post here, was wondering if you could help me with a few things.

I'm helping someone retrofit paddles on his F30 320D. We have received similar instructions to connect the pins you mentioned above. Now the issue I'm having is that while I can find A83*2b at the back of the slip ring, there is no marking for pin 3. How do I know which is pin 3?

Also the male pin connectors are there in a few places, and they are missing in some and there are just holes. So in case the male pin connector is missing where pin 3 is supposed to be, am I supposed to solder the male pin connector to the board below?

Thanks for any help.

#89 · (Edited)
Wiring Tested and not working for F25

Hello,

I've been reading a lot and trying to contact Kitercarlos with no success, as he and I seem to have the same vehicle (F25 2.0d Xdrive 2012), here's where I got so far:

1) Purchased and installed the M Sport Steering wheel for x3 F25
2) Purchased and installed the SAT 2TB Gearshift (ceramic)
3) Replaced VO 205 with 2TB, added 2XA and programmed EGS, but I'm stuck with GWS and SZL, as they do not have a valid CAFD to be programmed.

As Kitercarlos advices, Diesel owners seem to have an issue to the S1, S2, S3... displaying (seems they were not an option, however adding 2TB changes the Gearshift type when reading FA, and the worst of it, is that I tried to wire the paddles as simonchs advices, but on the F25 there is no FEM *7B harness, and the minute I put the cable on PIN 3 of the Slip Ring harness *2B, it immediately starts to act up all weird :dunno:, the windshield wipers starts to act on their own, even if the cable is not connected to anything.

Kitercarlos? Are you there mate? -- Estais por ahí compadre?

Thanks in advance for any help

#91 · (Edited)
Diagram

Ok guys,

I got my hands on this wiring diagram, unfortunately I can't make it bigger because of the low resolution it was sent to me, I can't seem to find the electronic transmission control module to finish the install, or the X2042 connector. I got all the way to the Junction Box (JEB) and wired the pins out, but I just can't understand where to put those wires in. Mine is a N47 engine, so it's the option to the left.

Take a look a it and tell me if any of this makes sense to you

Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

#94 · (Edited)
Well... I'm in trouble

I took the car to the dealer today and I've been told that ISTA cannot code the car to factory values because 3 modules are damaged according to the attached report from ISTA/P.

He said it's not possible to be done without replacing the modules. That sounds awful and expensive. I've been talking to Shawn throughout the day and he agrees with me that it's not feasible to damage 3 modules at once just by coding.

The guy also told me that he tried that he was trying to update the firmware to bring the car to factory values.

Any help is highly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to tell you that the car is fully functional. Everything is fine but the power train / drivetrain (CEL) issue.

#95 ·
That picture is too small to make out.

Connect with E-Sys, and Read SVT, and post picture (s) of the 3 ECU's expanded so I can see the files underneath them.

#97 ·
Ok, I see the problems now. All of the -255_255_255 files are corrupted. This came from you hitting the Code Default Vales (aka Screw Me Hard) button by mistake.

Usually only the CAFD gets corrupted, so I have never seen it this bad. But, it may be recoverable. Get your car back from dealership and send me a PM. I need to connect to your PC with TeamViewer with you connected to car with E-Sys.

#102 · (Edited)
My educated guess is that only the SVT is corrupted + the CAFD files can be corrupted. I don't think that HWAP for example can be corrupted because it is hardware characteristic, same goes for HWEL (hardware electronics). One way to correct it is this:

1. Comfort mode -> TAL-calculation
Connect to car
Read FA (load original from file if you have it!)
Activate FA
Read SVT Actual from the car (Read (ECU)
Load your original SVT from file to KIS/SVT Target
calculate TAL

2. Expert mode -> TAL-Processing
Load TAL you created
Load original SVT
Load/read FA
Parameters tab -> everything selected, "merge with existing InstalledECUList" selected
Ecu tab -> select nothing, you don't want to flash any ecus
Press start

This reverts your SVT-tree back to original. After this I would vo-code all the modules to make sure that the CAFD-files have correct data.

#99 · (Edited)
I know they are corrupted, and I know the cause is Code Default Values, because this isn't my first dance. :)

You are not the first one to have this happen. Many people have done this, and this is the result, although the extent of corruption varies.

I can also tell that since you have multiple ECU's affected, when you hit the Code Default Values button, you had to have been at the Top of the SVT where the VIN shows, which codes the entire SVT, as in every ECU, with default values. The only other way to have this affect more than one ECU is to select each one individually, and hit Code Default Values for each one.

Your CEL Light isn't the issue. This is a minor thing, and could be caused by some other issue. Your main problem now is all these ECU files are corrupt, and until you get that fixed, you can't even begin to fix the CEL issue.

The charger will not be needed unless they all need to be flashed, and hopefully that won't be the case. They may be recoverable without flashing. I need to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.