Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3 20d F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You can't use a production date of 0912 for F25 chassis.

Try 0812 as I wrote.
Sorry Ive forgotten add picture of my VO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VO 0812.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	355649  
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitercarlos View Post
I'm home again, I've changed me VO Production Date to 0812 and I added 2XA but nothing has changed still not working
What did you VO Code afterwards?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
What did you VO Code afterwards?
Ive only done write FA FP, but not code anything, I should have done somethng more, can you help me?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ive only done write FA FP, but not code anything, I should have done somethng more, can you help me?
Per my earlier post:

Quote:
If your Vehicle Production Date is before an Option Code was available, when you VO Code the Option Code will be ignored, so you must change the VO Production Date to a date at least equal to when the option first became available:
  1. Connect to car
  2. Go to Expert Mode - Coding
    • Read FA
    • SAVE FA => Original.xml
    • Edit FA
  3. Saved FA (Original.xml) Opens in FA-Editor
    • Expand FAList / FA / FZAuftrag / Type
    • Right Click on Zeitkriterium=xxxx
    • Select Edit and change date to 0812
    • Right Click on FA
    • Calculate FP
    • File - Save As => Modified-0812.xml
  4. Go to Expert Mode - Coding
    • Read VCM
    • Load FA => Modified-0812.xml
    • Acivate FA
    • VO Code (desired modules or whole SVT)
Just modifying the VO and writing it to the car doesn't code anything. You have to apply that VO to the affected ECU's, or the entire SVT.

To VO Code:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Right-Click on desired ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

At the minimum, I would imagine EGS and SZL_LWS need to be VO Coded, perhaps others.

If you don't know all the affected modules, you can VO Code the entire SVT (all ECU's) as follows:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Right-Click on SVT [YOUR VIN NIMBER] => Select CODE.

Name:	SVT - VIN - VO Code.png
Views:	127
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	355684

FYI. VO Coding will wipe out all previous FDL Coding, so you will need to comeback and FDL Code as desired.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Per my earlier post:

Just modifying the VO and writing it to the car doesn't code anything. You have to apply that VO to the affected ECU's, or the entire SVT.

To VO Code:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Right-Click on desired ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

At the minimum, I would imagine EGS and SZL_LWS need to be VO Coded, perhaps others.

If you don't know all the affected modules, you can VO Code the entire SVT (all ECU's) as follows:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Right-Click on SVT [YOUR VIN NIMBER] => Select CODE.

Attachment 355684

FYI. VO Coding will wipe out all previous FDL Coding, so you will need to comeback and FDL Code as desired.
I've done several tests but I have not gotten anything. The first was put VO coding 0812 and 2XA gave no errors but the airbag light came on,(It's curious that while I change the ICM / 3000 Daten, F8 / C_MF_Lenkrad to nicht_verbaut and the result was that one light on my cluster turned on), then I've tried putting VO 0812 and 2TB left two coding errors EKPM and ICM. EKPM error makes sense because the sporting gearshift makes engine operates differently so it needs to have control of the electronic fuel pump.

Maybe I need to upgrade the firmware of car. How I can know which firmware has my car? Any suggestions?

I certainly have not found SZL_LWS in the module EGS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	error 08122TB.png
Views:	107
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	355756  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I've done several tests but I have not gotten anything. The first was put VO coding 0812 and 2XA gave no errors but the airbag light came on,(It's curious that while I change the ICM / 3000 Daten, F8 / C_MF_Lenkrad to nicht_verbaut and the result was that one light on my cluster turned on), then I've tried putting VO 0812 and 2TB left two coding errors EKPM and ICM. EKPM error makes sense because the sporting gearshift makes engine operates differently so it needs to have control of the electronic fuel pump.

Maybe I need to upgrade the firmware of car. How I can know which firmware has my car? Any suggestions?

I certainly have not found SZL_LWS in the module EGS
SZL_LWS is its own module for the steering column control.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
SZL_LWS is its own module for the steering column control.
Sorry, You're right, I didn't understand very well, now I've checked all my modules and It doesn't have SZL_LWS module active
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, You're right, I didn't understand very well, now I've checked all my modules and It doesn't have SZL_LWS module active
Not even just plain SZL?

Why not just VO code the entire SVT?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Not even just plain SZL?

Why not just VO code the entire SVT?
I did so

all the modules actve are:

ACSM
BKOMBI
CAS
CID
CMB_MEDIA
DME
DSC
EGS
EKPM
EMF
EPS
FRM
GWS (but any green light)
HU_CICMID
ICM
IHKA
JBBF
LMV_FR (but any green light)
PDC
ZBE
ZGW (but any green light)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 116i
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchs View Post
I'm F20 118i owner, and my F20 come with 205 AT gearbox without shift paddles.
After read through realOEM I started to try retrofit the shift paddles, I've ordered the +/- paddles set and the steering wheel connecting cable.

I've changed the FA 205 with 2TB, then CODE the whole SVT tree, but the shift paddles still can't work. May I get any hints that if I need to add/modify additional FA? Or I can't retrofit shift paddles just simply by coding?

Thanks.
look into FEM_BODY and find 3190 PfSteeringWheelPaddles, and confirm that the PADDLES_VERBAUT has been set to aktiv
Chinese cannot show here, pity

Last edited by tankren; 01-03-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I did so

all the modules actve are:

ACSM
BKOMBI
CAS
CID
CMB_MEDIA
DME
DSC
EGS
EKPM
EMF
EPS
FRM
GWS (but any green light)
HU_CICMID
ICM
IHKA
JBBF
LMV_FR (but any green light)
PDC
ZBE
ZGW (but any green light)
Houston, we have a problem.

ZGW is the Central gateway module, and it contains no coding data, so this is expected.

I am not sure what LMV_FR?

But GWS is your Gear selection switch, and it needs a CAFD and must be coded. This is likely your problem.

What happens when you highlight GWS, and select HW_IDs from SVT actual?

Do the same for LMV_FR.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Houston, we have a problem.

ZGW is the Central gateway module, and it contains no coding data, so this is expected.

I am not sure what LMV_FR?

But GWS is your Gear selection switch, and it needs a CAFD and must be coded. This is likely your problem.

What happens when you highlight GWS, and select HW_IDs from SVT actual?

Do the same for LMV_FR.
I did, but nothing happens
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HW_IDS.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	355758  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I did, but nothing happens
Ok. Do this.

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Left-Click on GWS => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on GWS (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

To determine your I-Level, go to VCM Module => VCM Master Tab => click Read under I-Steps. The I-Step (current) is the one you want to match when you select the CAFD from the "Detect CAF for SWE" options (e.g. F001-08-09-550).

The above assumes that you have written the modified FA (with 2TB, or 2XA or 7XA, etc.) to the car. If you have not, then instead of Read FA, Load FA using your modified FA.

Repeat entire process for LMV_FR.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 01-03-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Ok. Do this.

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Left-Click on GWS => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on GWS (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

To determine your I-Level, go to VCM Module => VCM Master Tab => click Read under I-Steps. The I-Step (current) is the one you want to match when you select the CAFD from the "Detect CAF for SWE" options (e.g. F001-08-09-550).

The above assumes that you have written the modified FA (with 2TB, or 2XA or 7XA, etc.) to the car. If you have not, then instead of Read FA, Load FA using your modified FA.

It didnīt show nothing
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
It didnīt show nothing
Detect CAF for SWE shows nothing for GWS?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Ok. Do this.

Actually Iīm working with FA modified with 2XA but Zeitkriterium=0411, cos with Zeitkriterium=0812 I had the airbag light turned on
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Detect CAF for SWE shows nothing for GWS?
yes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
yes
I don't know.

I don't have SAT, but still my GWS is codeable, and is using CAFD_000000D0_003_004_004.

Did you have a GWS module in your SVT with the original steering wheel?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I don't know.

I don't have SAT, but still my GWS is codeable, and is using CAFD_000000D0_003_004_004.

Did you have a GWS module in your SVT with the original steering wheel?
Yes in the last reply I put the original active modules in fact when I added 2XA, it didn't change any modules
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yes in the last reply I put the original active modules in fact when I added 2XA, it didn't change any modules
Ok. I am about out of ideas. I have no idea why your GWS has no coding data, but it that is how it was before the the new steering wheel was added, I guess that is just how it is.

As you can see, here is mine, with Coding Data:

Name:	Image 001.png
Views:	114
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	355759

What if the problem is you need a SZL control module in addition to the new steering wheel?

Take a look at my SZL module, and it particular this FDL Code:

Lenkrad_Schaltpaddles = Shift paddles on the steering wheel, consisting of left and right shift paddle on the steering wheel.

Name:	Image 003.png
Views:	118
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	355760

Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 118i F20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankren View Post
look into FEM_BODY and find 3190 PfSteeringWheelPaddles, and confirm that the PADDLES_VERBAUT has been set to aktiv
thanks for the hint, I shall try it later.

and nice to meet you here tankren, i had read your post about coding on autohome too, but can't post there because it need verify by mainland China cell phone number during register.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
checked, and the PADDLES_VERBAUT already aktiv
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0862.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	356146  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 116i
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchs View Post
checked, and the PADDLES_VERBAUT already aktiv

I cant help more because I have no shift paddle to test, I registered an ID at autohome for you, PM sent
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I cant help more because I have no shift paddle to test, I registered an ID at autohome for you, PM sent
What is autohome? Some Chinese forum?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
What is autohome? Some Chinese forum?
yes, a forum in mainland China, tankren and some guys study coding in there.
and a guy showed the photo with M performance steering wheel with shift paddles installed, but he's doing modding business and won't share how to do certainly.