Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchs View Post
yes, a forum in mainland China, tankren and some guys study coding in there.
and a guy showed the photo with M performance steering wheel with shift paddles installed, but he's doing modding business and won't share how to do certainly.
Ahh yes, another individual protecting their commercial interests...

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 116i
Quote:
yes, a forum in mainland China, tankren and some guys study coding in there.
and a guy showed the photo with M performance steering wheel with shift paddles installed, but he's doing modding business and won't share how to do certainly.
Have you retrofitted the steering wheel? M sport type?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 118i F20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankren View Post
Have you retrofitted the steering wheel? M sport type?
not yet, I just test the paddles everytime by the method which illustrated on the attached photo

I want to confirm the paddles are working before place order to steering wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0793.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	356585  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: X3 20d F25
Quote:
not yet, I just test the paddles everytime by the method which illustrated on the attached photo

I want to confirm the paddles are working before place order to steering wheel
Have you done the wire harness to the gear selector switch?

Check the connections, use a multimeter. At the gear selector check the resistance when pressing on the paddles, measure between each other of the wires coming from the paddles to the gear selector harness. When pressing on the paddles and measuring on the wires there should be 1K ohm when you press + paddle, and there should be 0,33K ohm when you press - paddle and when no paddle is pressed there should be 3,2K ohm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blackberry 030.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	356811  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM

hi kitercarlos, got any luck on the paddles retrofit?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
hi kitercarlos, got any luck on the paddles retrofit?
Not, but I've done some progress, now I know that the wires from the paddles do not end in the switch selector box, they should end in some module lille JBE, CAS4, but I have no idea. I need someone tell me where they end.

I have a clue, but I not sure, there are a guy that he wrote this
"I have a 2011 335d. After quite a bit of comparison to oem equipped and not equipped 2XA cars, and after extensive extensive examination of wiring schematics as it pertains to the paddles/slip ring/steering module/JBE/tranny module, there are 2 important wires missing which go from the output of the JBE (junction box, which is behind glove compartment) into a harness plug and then to the transmission module. Input side wiring coming from JBE into this plug is missing even though output side wiring going to tranny is present."

Any help will be welcome
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 AM

Mein Auto: MINI R56S LCI, F10 520D
I'm trying to retrofit peddle shift switch on my F10 but I could not find information of wire diagram and modules with pin number.

Can somebody help me for this trying?
What should I add the missed signal wire on steering wheel and switch modules?

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM

after compare the harness with M135i, found that the 118i missed one pin from steering wheel slip ring to FEM module (proved shift paddles signal), and finally the shift paddles retrofit is success!!

all you need are:
- make your DIY cable from slip ring to FEM module
- VO change 205 to 2TB and CODE the SVT tree
- get the new connecting cable inside the steering wheel with 2 paddles plugs
- and, of cos., a pair of shift paddles and a new steering wheel which able to place the paddles

pin details from slip ring to FEM will be posted after I consolidate all info.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
delete.
congratulations to your retrofit.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
after compare the harness with M135i, found that the 118i missed one pin from steering wheel slip ring to FEM module (proved shift paddles signal), and finally the shift paddles retrofit is success!!

all you need are:
- make your DIY cable from slip ring to FEM module
- VO change 205 to 2TB and CODE the SVT tree
- get the new connecting cable inside the steering wheel with 2 paddles plugs
- and, of cos., a pair of shift paddles and a new steering wheel which able to place the paddles

pin details from slip ring to FEM will be posted after I consolidate all info.
Hi Simonchs,

I only need to know the wiring diagram from the steering wheel slip ring to FEM cos I did all the work before so, can you tell me which pins are and plug is? Did you some photos?

Tnank you in advance
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 118i F20 sport 8AT
Hey Simonchs, congrats for finally cracking it!
Do you think you can post some pictures of the process for us, please?
I'm really interested in performing this retrofit on my car as well!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: E90
In case no one has found out yet, I have gathered some information. However, they are NOT TESTED AND VERIFIED. It would be nice if someone can test and write up a DIY.

The wire should goes from pin 3 of A83*2B connector on slip ring to pin 5 of A173*7B connector on FEM.

For the connector location of FEM, this post can be referred to:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808444

Cannot find any information on the slip ring connector.

The wire should be inserted into connectors similar to the "Slipring to Shifter" harness in this post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600729
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM

almost forgot to supply more information on this thread

and yes, as FThoseSelfishBs said, the wire should go between pin 5 of A173*7B connector on FEM, and pin 3 of A83*2B under the slip ring

you will need to replace the "connecting line" with p/n 32306854769 in the steering wheel too

for the female pin connectors of the retrofit wire between FEM and slip ring, you can disassemble the old connecting line and get the female pin connectors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FEM_1.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	379137   Click image for larger version

Name:	FEM_2.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	379138   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIPRING_1.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	379139   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIPRING_2.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	379140  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 F25 20dX WY31
Wiring Tested and not working for F25

Hello,

I've been reading a lot and trying to contact Kitercarlos with no success, as he and I seem to have the same vehicle (F25 2.0d Xdrive 2012), here's where I got so far:

1) Purchased and installed the M Sport Steering wheel for x3 F25
2) Purchased and installed the SAT 2TB Gearshift (ceramic)
3) Replaced VO 205 with 2TB, added 2XA and programmed EGS, but I'm stuck with GWS and SZL, as they do not have a valid CAFD to be programmed.

As Kitercarlos advices, Diesel owners seem to have an issue to the S1, S2, S3... displaying (seems they were not an option, however adding 2TB changes the Gearshift type when reading FA, and the worst of it, is that I tried to wire the paddles as simonchs advices, but on the F25 there is no FEM *7B harness, and the minute I put the cable on PIN 3 of the Slip Ring harness *2B, it immediately starts to act up all weird , the windshield wipers starts to act on their own, even if the cable is not connected to anything.

Kitercarlos? Are you there mate? -- Estais por ahí compadre?

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by RO-CK; 10-15-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 320i
Paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
Hey Simonchs, congrats for finally cracking it!
Do you think you can post some pictures of the process for us, please?
I'm really interested in performing this retrofit on my car as well!
Boa Noite,
Eu vi que você fez o retrofit do paddle na sua BM...você pode me dar algumas informações, do tipo, se trocou sua direção ou apenas comprou o paddle, qual o modelo, onde comprou...?
Vlw pela ajuda.
Abraços.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 F25 20dX WY31
Diagram

Ok guys,

I got my hands on this wiring diagram, unfortunately I can't make it bigger because of the low resolution it was sent to me, I can't seem to find the electronic transmission control module to finish the install, or the X2042 connector. I got all the way to the Junction Box (JEB) and wired the pins out, but I just can't understand where to put those wires in. Mine is a N47 engine, so it's the option to the left.

Take a look a it and tell me if any of this makes sense to you

Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ISID-2013-10-15-13-42-58.png
Views:	320
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	406437  

Last edited by RO-CK; 11-08-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: e90 320d
Quote:

and yes, as FThoseSelfishBs said, the wire should go between pin 5 of A173*7B connector on FEM, and pin 3 of A83*2B under the slip ring

you will need to replace the "connecting line" with p/n 32306854769 in the steering wheel too

for the female pin connectors of the retrofit wire between FEM and slip ring, you can disassemble the old connecting line and get the female pin connectors
Hey this is my first post here, was wondering if you could help me with a few things.

I'm helping someone retrofit paddles on his F30 320D. We have received similar instructions to connect the pins you mentioned above. Now the issue I'm having is that while I can find A83*2b at the back of the slip ring, there is no marking for pin 3. How do I know which is pin 3?

Also the male pin connectors are there in a few places, and they are missing in some and there are just holes. So in case the male pin connector is missing where pin 3 is supposed to be, am I supposed to solder the male pin connector to the board below?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: F30 320i
Quote:

My father's 118 didn't come with paddles and I decided to do a retrofit. Found a donor and replaced the steering wheel and airbag.
Replaced 205 with 2TB in salapa and coded the entire SVT tree. S*** happens and for some reason I got a CEL on the dash. Tried Tool32 to clear the error but it will pop up again once it's cleared.

However the engine runs smooth and flawlessly. The paddle shifters work fine and I have sport+ enabled.
For some reason it auto upshifts when the dial reaches the redline. AFAIK it's not supposed to upshift, right?

Now I have two problems:
- CEL
- Sport+ behaving weirdly

Any tips?

PS: Murphy is a close friend of mine and I accidentally pressed Code Default Values.
I swear it was an accident. Actually I had the laptop on my lap and my belly stepped over the touchpad and hit the Code Default Values button while I was talking to my father.

The car died instantly and my father was about to bury the car with me inside. Luckily I had saved the SVT file and after several different attempts I was able to code the car and got it working.

When the car was dead the steering wheel was super heavy (no assistance whatsoever), brake pedal also heavy, several error codes on the screen, airbag error...

After recoding the backup svt file all error went away but CEL and airbag error.
Tool32 was able to clear the airbag error but I still have CEL on the dash.

Time to take the car to the stealer.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:26 PM

Well... I'm in trouble

I took the car to the dealer today and I've been told that ISTA cannot code the car to factory values because 3 modules are damaged according to the attached report from ISTA/P.

He said it's not possible to be done without replacing the modules. That sounds awful and expensive. I've been talking to Shawn throughout the day and he agrees with me that it's not feasible to damage 3 modules at once just by coding.

The guy also told me that he tried that he was trying to update the firmware to bring the car to factory values.

Any help is highly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to tell you that the car is fully functional. Everything is fine but the power train / drivetrain (CEL) issue.

Last edited by marcoac14; 03-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 PM

That picture is too small to make out.

Connect with E-Sys, and Read SVT, and post picture (s) of the 3 ECU's expanded so I can see the files underneath them.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
That picture is too small to make out.

Connect with E-Sys, and Read SVT, and post picture (s) of the 3 ECU's expanded so I can see the files underneath them.

Larger now

I left the car at the dealer. They will try something else tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM

Ok, I see the problems now. All of the -255_255_255 files are corrupted. This came from you hitting the Code Default Vales (aka Screw Me Hard) button by mistake.

Usually only the CAFD gets corrupted, so I have never seen it this bad. But, it may be recoverable. Get your car back from dealership and send me a PM. I need to connect to your PC with TeamViewer with you connected to car with E-Sys.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Couldn't be any better

May I ask you how you know they are corrupted?
It's weird the car works fine.

Are you sure it came from hitting Code Default Values?
Before hitting it, I already had a CEL.

Will you need the charger?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 PM

I know they are corrupted, and I know the cause is Code Default Values, because this isn't my first dance.

You are not the first one to have this happen. Many people have done this, and this is the result, although the extent of corruption varies.

I can also tell that since you have multiple ECU's affected, when you hit the Code Default Values button, you had to have been at the Top of the SVT where the VIN shows, which codes the entire SVT, as in every ECU, with default values. The only other way to have this affect more than one ECU is to select each one individually, and hit Code Default Values for each one.

Your CEL Light isn't the issue. This is a minor thing, and could be caused by some other issue. Your main problem now is all these ECU files are corrupt, and until you get that fixed, you can't even begin to fix the CEL issue.

The charger will not be needed unless they all need to be flashed, and hopefully that won't be the case. They may be recoverable without flashing. I need to see it.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 03-06-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Got your point.

I'm wondering why this f* button exists. There should be an extra dialog box to confirm this and avoid this kind of mess that stupid guys like me can do.
I can't say thank you enough.