Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW325xi
Crank shaft sensor?transmission:(

New to the forum and was wondering if anyone had experienced a melting shaft sensor? I have a 325xi (06). I don't even know what this is but my mechanic said it was melted? Felt like my transmission was going & car shop said it was a bunch of things wrong w it. Pretty much saying they would need to remove part of the engine to get to the part & replace some engine parts. I'm really good w keeping up w maintenance & every time any kind of light comes on i take it to a mechanic bc the last thing i want is to brake down in the middle of no where. I feel like I'm getting the run around bc of being a girl. Does any of this sound right. In desperate need of help or a new car if I need to spend a lot to get it fixed
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 AM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
I have a 2011 E90 that had a rear main seal of crankshaft go bad. Long story short, it was replaced. After replacement, crankshaft sensor needed to be replaced. I think it was damaged from the initial repair. I had a loaner for about two weeks when this occured. This was all done under warranty, as you can see that i'm still covered.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
get another opinion if possible
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Usually there are two sensors in a car on the engine like you are describing, a Crank Shaft Position Sensor (CPS) and a Camshaft Sensor. These sensors are basically magnets that stick into a hole in the engine casing and have a wire attached to them that go to the computer. It lets the car know where the engine is in the piston cycle while the camshaft and the crankshaft turns to ensure nothing is out of turn or timing sequence. It's an electronic measurment of an object that is spinning and once every rotation the sensor sends a signal to the computer. The sensors shouldn't "melt" unless something very hot contacted the plastic casing and melted the wire or the casing cracked and oil or something is shorting it out, but they do go bad eventually. The sensors are typically not expensive (30-70 bucks) and fairly easy to replace (depending on how hard it is to get to them). I've never had to tear an engine apart to replace one. Most folks don't know what they look like or where they are located. Act like you know what you are talking about and call another shop and ask them how much it would be to replace your sensor on your model car. Typical problems are check engine lights come on, starting is hard, start/stop issues happen with the engine. This is what I found regarding your car and replacing the CPS. Doesn't seem major at all:

"I've had to do this one before. I dont have any pics but the way I did it was jack up the car and from underneath you have to reach up above the crank and try to change it blind. Only hard part was trying to get the screw back in blind. You always will want to wear long sleeves and have a cool engine btw.

Here is the part ($26.23):

http://www.******************.com/de...EPB311803.html

Here's another thread discussing the CPS issues:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642822

Last edited by sptt144; 12-19-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexishorti View Post
New to the forum and was wondering if anyone had experienced a melting shaft sensor? I have a 325xi (06). I don't even know what this is but my mechanic said it was melted? Felt like my transmission was going & car shop said it was a bunch of things wrong w it. Pretty much saying they would need to remove part of the engine to get to the part & replace some engine parts. I'm really good w keeping up w maintenance & every time any kind of light comes on i take it to a mechanic bc the last thing i want is to brake down in the middle of no where. I feel like I'm getting the run around bc of being a girl. Does any of this sound right. In desperate need of help or a new car if I need to spend a lot to get it fixed

Indeed!

I'm certain there will be interest in this - please, post a picture.

Also post an image o'your mechanic's dianosis, issues + work to be done.