Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
330xi - Slight Blue Puff at start-up

Hi All,

I noticed this morning when starting up my car, that there was a slight blue tint puff coming out of the two tail pipes. The smoke lingered for a bit and smelt a little "odd", burnt if you will, which leads me to believe it's possibly oil that's burning.

I did some research this morning, but could only find cases of E46 and older 3 series cars having this problem. A few E90's, but no real concrete answers.

I also found in the research, that there is some kind of system that shoots out waste from the tail-pipe from time to time (as in, it's timed). Never read about anything like this, but could it also be this?

Also, 139,7xx miles on the clock, car has been running excellent so far. One other thing that I should probably mention, perhaps I never really noticed this, but when it's quite cold out, and the car has been sitting for a while (such as at work, or over night), the steering wheel vibrates quite erratically at idle. Couldn't find much to back this 'issue' up though.

Thanks for any insight.

UPDATE: I went to get lunch and came back. No puffs of any kind, no color, nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited by BiHoTTo115; 12-19-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM

No thoughts on anything, from anyone? Not even on the "timed event" procedure I read about?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Most likely the valve stem seals are going, smoking on start up after sitting would be valves, blue smoke all the time while driving, the piston rings are worn out

no opinion on the vibrating steering wheel

Hondo
Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
...I noticed this morning when starting up my car, that there was a slight blue tint puff coming out of the two tail pipes. The smoke lingered for a bit and smelt a little "odd", burnt if you will, which leads me to believe it's possibly oil that's burning.
I wouldn't worry about it (you should see our 60K Boxster on a cold start.) It's just a bit of oil in the chamber. I WOULD check the CVV (PCV), as it's cold and that's when they get frozen and fail. When were the spark plugs last changed?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I wouldn't worry about it (you should see our 60K Boxster on a cold start.) It's just a bit of oil in the chamber. I WOULD check the CVV (PCV), as it's cold and that's when they get frozen and fail. When were the spark plugs last changed?
I wish I could tell you, no clue. I'm pretty anal about maintaining the car. In fact, next week when I'm off from work I'll be putting the car up and going through everything and seeing what needs changing. Trying to do as much preventative maintenance as I can.

Think it could hurt to change them anyway? As far as the PCV, what do you recommend changing, the hose or (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567560)?

For the record, no blue puffs at all since yesterday, that one time in the morning. Perfect now really, which has me slightly relieved.

Was thinking it may be the engine mounts for the vibration as well...if not, it's a cheap change anyway, at $60 a pop x2.