Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
slven slven is offline
Registered User
Location: greenwich, ct
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: x3
extended maintenance?

I am looking to buy a slightly pre-owned 2012 X3 from a dealer. I am considering the extended maintenance (I did get it on my previous x3 and for me, I liked having it, but was many years ago, driving more miles then, and it was a bit cheaper back then since they were just introducing it and trying to persuade me to buy it)....my questions:
- can you buy it at anytime before 50k miles or 4 years?
-Do you get a better "deal" if you buy it at the time of car purchase?
-Can anyone offer what they paid for the 2012 X3 extended maintenance coverage?

Last edited by slven; 01-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM
wavewuver wavewuver is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 315
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
I know you can buy it anytime before 50K. You can also buy it after 50K, but there is a surcharge. Also, there are different levels of coverage. I think they call them silver, gold and platinum. Platinum is what you get under your usual new car warranty. I think gold excludes a couple of items like navigation. And, I think silver is just the power train.

If it was me, I would go for the platinum. I have about 45K on my 2011 X3 now and was considering the extended warranty. But, I'm going to pass and take my chances. The engine, mine is the inline 6, is bulletproof in my opinion. The tranny so far is perfect. I've had the inline 6 in my previous two BMW's and haven't had to touch either one. My first inline 6 had about 250K and ran like new. My second one was an M3, but I only kept it long enough to put 125K on it.

My concern with BMW's is usually focussed on the electronics and the front suspension. Everything else is extremely good, especially for the first 100K.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
noka noka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewuver View Post
I know you can buy it anytime before 50K. You can also buy it after 50K, but there is a surcharge. Also, there are different levels of coverage. I think they call them silver, gold and platinum. Platinum is what you get under your usual new car warranty. I think gold excludes a couple of items like navigation. And, I think silver is just the power train.

If it was me, I would go for the platinum. I have about 45K on my 2011 X3 now and was considering the extended warranty. But, I'm going to pass and take my chances. The engine, mine is the inline 6, is bulletproof in my opinion. The tranny so far is perfect. I've had the inline 6 in my previous two BMW's and haven't had to touch either one. My first inline 6 had about 250K and ran like new. My second one was an M3, but I only kept it long enough to put 125K on it.

My concern with BMW's is usually focussed on the electronics and the front suspension. Everything else is extremely good, especially for the first 100K.
The OP is inquiring about extended maintenance, not warranty. Two different service products.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired:'09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, 01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i, ..., '86 4000CS Quattro, ... too many to list
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
wavewuver wavewuver is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 315
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
The OP is inquiring about extended maintenance, not warranty. Two different service products.
You are correct. I misread the question. But, you can also buy the extended maintenance up to 50K. I'm not interested in it so I don't have much more to offer. I love to maintain my own vehicles so oil changes, brakes etc are not something I want to be done for me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,526
Mein Auto: '06 X3
wave -- I was like you -- going to pass when my "bulletproof" '06 reached 45K miles -- I did pass. Then after the warrenty expired the problems started. So far I have spent more than the cost of the extended warranty on things like new struts, MAF sensor, gas line return valves (whatever that is) and some assorted problems that escape me now. I am looking at "seeps" in the rear end and valve cover gasket, and of course the "normal" brake, rotor, tire, sparkplug replacements coming up. Not that these last would have been covered but it is just more expense ahead for this car which has begun to resemble a money pit. If I had it to do over, I would get the BMW extended warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is offline
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,945
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by slven View Post
I am looking to buy a slightly pre-owned 2012 X3 from a dealer. I am considering the extended maintenance (I did get it on my previous x3 and for me, I liked having it, but was many years ago, driving more miles then, and it was a bit cheaper back then since they were just introducing it and trying to persuade me to buy it)....my questions:
- can you buy it at anytime before 50k miles or 4 years?
-Do you get a better "deal" if you buy it at the time of car purchase?
-Can anyone offer what they paid for the 2012 X3 extended maintenance coverage?
Slven,

Try to find Daniel at PacificBMW on this site and ask him for a quote. They appear to sell a much larger volume of the warranties and extended maintenance so are offering lower than most dealers.

I'm pretty sure you need to buy it before your car reaches 4 yrs or 50k miles, but I may be wrong. You will have to mail them your key so they can verify miles and maintenance record.

His price was a few hundred off what my local dealer would offer me. The Plan works at any BMW dealer.

Worth looking in to.
__________________

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms