Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: TiAg e39 540iA, e30 325i
2000 540iA Transmission Shift Problems

just started having an intermittant shift problem a couple of days ago, the car is having difficulties shifting from 2 to 3rd gears. from a dead stop the car will shift from 1st to 2nd no problem, its hard to upshift to 3rd until about 3.5-4k rpm. if i put the car in sports mode, triptronic, i can shift to 3rd but it will want to down shift back to 2nd. it will not want to shift into 3rd until i hit about 4k rpm, then it will finally shift.

the transmission shifts through the gears smoothly, up & down. there seems to be no catching, or abrupt shifting. i'm suspecting its not the transmission itself but some sensor or electrical issue. i recently replaced the ccv, front intake gasket, manifold gaskets & various vac lines. not sure if this could have been a cause.

i've done a forum search & google search, found that the front abs sensor/speed sensor will sometimes cause this hiccup. also, found that the ecu could be the culprit or low tranny fluid. last i checked, fluid level was fine. will be checking the sensor next. is there anywhere or anything else i should be looking? any help or suggestions? thanks!!!
cheers,
larry

'00 TiAg 540iA Sport
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: TiAg e39 540iA, e30 325i
^bump...

can someone please confirm for me which front abs sensor controls the transmission shifting operation? from my understanding its the passenger front. thanks!!!
cheers,
larry

'00 TiAg 540iA Sport